|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

AKA Nancy Bailey wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is the same Terri I remember. She had a passion for singing and administering the tenets of Teen Challenge (to this day, it is still excruciating to type out the words T-e-e-n C-h-a-l-l-e-n-g-e). That would be the same Terri who dragged me back (screaming and crying) into the 'furnace room' where I had been confined for the last 3-4 weeks. It was a poorly executed escape attempt on my part and she was strong and well toned....there would be no escaping from her fierce grasp. Had that happened today, she very well may have been charged with assault, kidnapping and unlawful restraint. Terri had visited Hollywood in her youth, but soon returned home dejected. How her life (and mine and others) might have turned out differently had she stayed and attended UCLA. Again, geography (and educational opportunities or lack thereof) played a HUGE part in what she CHOSE to believe. An interesting aside, none of us knew Terri and Dan had been dating. One day, she and Dan turned up holding hands (a shocking phenomenon at TC) at a Bible study session and Betty announced they were engaged! I would have been completely shocked had I not peeked in Terri's drawer several months earlier and discovered a photo of Dan laying atop her lingerie. Still, I didn't put two and two together and was quite startled to hear the news. In closing, although the TC years were the worst years of my life, the year following my escape was probably the BEST year of my life. There is nothing like musical and intellectual deprivation coupled with incarceration to make the simplest things seem so much sweeter upon emancipation. I had an EXPLOSION of music, ideas, literature, poetry and fascinating people to explore that first year after escaping. And for that, I am grateful.
I was there when terri and Dan First started dating, I lived there. I was thought that betty pushed Terri into dating him??
donna brice

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

hey ronald taylor wrote:
i have that email set up the right way now try it again isurvivedteenchallengeindy@yah oo.com ANY OTHER SURVIVORS OF BETTY VIOLETTE AND RUTH THALLMAN OUT THERE ?
I lived there from 1972/1973. I was NOT a drug addicted or a troubled child. I was just a teenager!!! hoor stories I could tell. you can reach me on face book and befriend me "donna brice madison" or e-mail hotredcrossfire55@yahoo.com
donna brice

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Elizabeth--Nancy Bailey wrote:
Part 2:
My experience at Teen Challenge has a PROFOUND effect on me. After I escaped and finally emancipated, I changed my name (first, middle and last), converted to Judaism and went on to graduate summa cum laude from college. I became a psychiatric nursing administrator and got on with my life. Even so, I had nightmares of Teen Challenge for a full decade after leaving (all with the same theme of being caught while escaping). To this day, I eschew religious fundamentalism of all kind.
People I remember fondly:
Neilly (Cornelia) St. John
Janis (? name)-cool (married to a Mexican named Gutierrez)
Ruth Thalman (thoroughly indoctrinated and co-conspirator, but I believe she would have turned out MUCH differently had she been a fanatic)...she was kind to me
Luanne Stevens-my best friend
So, so many others...I have suppressed memories over the years, but would absolutely remember if I heard their names
People I remember not so fondly:
Terri-Berry (very rigid)
Jean-occasionally aggressive, a TC Nazi who 'followed orders', miserable within her own skin and made sure everyone else was miserable
Betty-image obsessed and extremely controlling (and with some pathological need for 'children')
I have rarely spoken of my experiences at TC in the 34-35 years since I escaped. I came across this web site and knew I had to share, especially since so many others had similar experiences. I would love to hear from anyone I spent time with in TC and learn how they fared with life.
didn't jean have a son??? I was there 1972/1973, So glad I got out wondering about who else was there. I was there when neeliy first got there

Since: May 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

donna brice wrote:
<quoted text> I was there when terri and Dan First started dating, I lived there. I was thought that betty pushed Terri into dating him??
Those are my parents. I've heard some crazy stupid stuff that happened there.
donna brice

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

matt tellier wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are my parents. I've heard some crazy stupid stuff that happened there.
Sorry! I remember your dad, he was very kind. Even tho terri was across the hall from( I shared a room with ruth) she (terri) never spoke that much to me. No disrepect but I thought your mom was forced to marry your daad to make betty happy.
Nancy Bailey

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

donna brice wrote:
<quoted text> I was there when terri and Dan First started dating, I lived there. I was thought that betty pushed Terri into dating him??
I remember you Donna (albeit somewhat vaguely). I think Terri genuinely loved Dan. I remember their engagement announcement and their wedding. It was the only time I can recall Terri wearing lipstick and makeup. She looked radiant. They were an attractive couple and seemed genuinely in love. Terri had long, lustrous and wavy hair and she looked positively smitten as she walked down the aisle. Dan was an amiable chap and to an outsider they appeared 'perfect' as a couple. They almost looked like they could be brother and sister. I couldn't speculate on their interpersonal dynamics after setting up house in the boys' home, but she was a force to be reckoned with. I'll just leave it at that. Nice to hear from you, Donna! Small world!
Nancy Bailey

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

donna brice wrote:
<quoted text>didn't jean have a son??? I was there 1972/1973, So glad I got out wondering about who else was there. I was there when neeliy first got there
I can't imagine Jean copulating with a pillow let alone a man...lol!! I remember Janice having a son...perhaps you are thinking of her instead?

I'm curious how you managed to get out of TC. After 2 1/2 years of forced incarceration I realized I would NEVER get out unless I escaped. Teen Challenge has the intellectual milieu and ambiance of a North Korean concentration camp. As Bette Davis used to say "What...a...dump."

Share some of your stories, Donna.
Angela V

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Cari wrote:
I dont really care about what anyone else thinks or what the media thinks. I was a victim yes a victim of TEEN CHALLENGE in Indianapolis, In. The 2 people who ran it Betty Violet and Ruth thulman I think if I'm corerct. Received charges of child abuse and kidnapping. I was there in 1980 I have horrific night mares and really to this day do not know what happened to these 2 women. But I PRAY TO GOD YES TO GOD they received the punishment that is see fit in GODS eyes and his will. HORRIBLE!!!!!!11<quoted text>
Wish I had seen this when it was first posted. I too was a victim in Indianapolis. Wish I had known when they went to court for they would have been convicted of abuse and I would have had a doctor's statement. They almost killed me and my baby. I was the only pregnant girl there and they wouldn't take me to the hospital when it was time to have her. Good thing I had an appointment the next day but that resorted in emergency surgery and tubal blockage. They had to let me go because the fire department deemed them not equipped to have a baby on the premises and they could not seperate me from my baby. Good thing I have always been stubborn and not easily brainwashed since the tried to get me to sign adoption papers. My beautiful daughter is now 34yrs.
Donna

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Angela V wrote:
<quoted text> Wish I had seen this when it was first posted. I too was a victim in Indianapolis. Wish I had known when they went to court for they would have been convicted of abuse and I would have had a doctor's statement. They almost killed me and my baby. I was the only pregnant girl there and they wouldn't take me to the hospital when it was time to have her. Good thing I had an appointment the next day but that resorted in emergency surgery and tubal blockage. They had to let me go because the fire department deemed them not equipped to have a baby on the premises and they could not seperate me from my baby. Good thing I have always been stubborn and not easily brainwashed since the tried to get me to sign adoption papers. My beautiful daughter is now 34yrs.
. Betty violet and Ruth thulman are running a place called third phase , same old same old.
Angela V

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

tcchallenge survivor wrote:
looking for teen challenge indianapolis indiana survivors 1972 to 1980
I was there in 1978
Angela V

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Nancy Bailey wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't imagine Jean copulating with a pillow let alone a man...lol!! I remember Janice having a son...perhaps you are thinking of her instead?
I'm curious how you managed to get out of TC. After 2 1/2 years of forced incarceration I realized I would NEVER get out unless I escaped. Teen Challenge has the intellectual milieu and ambiance of a North Korean concentration camp. As Bette Davis used to say "What...a...dump."
Share some of your stories, Donna.
Hello Nancy, I was there in 1978
Angela V

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Jenny Finn wrote:
1979/1980
My name is Jenny Finn,(short, redhead) I was one of the girls that was locked in the janitors closet.I was there when they finally got busted, and was sent to LaRue Carter Hospital, covered in impetigo sores.
I am looking for other survivors...possibly Angela, RayLee...
email me at merrypranksterz@gmail.com for more information.
I cannot believe I found this thread!
Hello Jenny, Iwas there till the very end of 1978. I never came back when I left for the doctor to have my baby.
Angela V

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

joyce wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU'RE speaking of the "VERO" Teen Challenge--EACH TEEN CHALLENGE IS DIFFERENT AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS--SOME ARE GREAT AND HAVE PRODUCED MANY MIRACULOUS TESTIMONIES--OTHERS 'HAVE' BEEN PLACES OF ABUSE...Therefore, each response should be based on someone's experience who has ACTUALLY 'BEEN' THERE DURING A PARTICULAR YEAR OR TIME PERIOD, AND WHO WAS IN CHARGE AT THAT TIME. I HAVE personally seen & witnessed abuse--if OTHERS are legitimate and run for the Lord, then, PTL!!, and thank you, David Wilkerson (now in Heaven) for your courage all those many years ago that was the beginning of the establishment of Teen Challenges all over the world!! Please, anyone--only speak of YOUR personal experiences, and IDENTIFY which TC you were at so others searching for a good facility can KNOW the good from the bad.
Joyce you are so correct, I was at the Indy Location and it was really bad!!! It was the people running it and they only had the one location. Not all are bad I'm sure. We can only speak of our own circumstances, not all were the same.
Angela V

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Kathy wrote:
I was at teen challenge in Indianapolis, did you all know that Betty and Ruth are in charge of another "House for troubled people" they have unwed mothers there.... I watched a girl have a baby and bring it to the TC in Indy and Betty TOOK the baby into her room refusing to return it... I read all the TC books, David Wilkerson started a GREAT organization, it is still a good one, but he nor his staff do enough background checking on their staff, you can graduate from part of the program to being a staff member, that is NEVER a good idea... I watched terrible things happen first hand. I saw a post earlier that said only people who left and screwed up their life further posted bad things, I left there and had a great life, never was a bad kid to begin with... I asked my mom to put me there because my step dad was interfering with me and I wanted to go to a Christian place so that I didn't have to tell my mom... she was happy... I was only about 13 years old... My mom was at work one night when the Spirit of God moved upon her and told her I was in danger, any mother knows God will let you know when you need to do something to protect your child, my mom rose from her desk at 8pm and called TC, spoke with Betty and told her I would be picked up tomorrow morning and taken out of the program... my calls and visits of late had been very brief to non-existent... my mom said she felt like a hand was in her back forcing her to the phone... Betty told me a few minutes later when I was removed one staff member on each side like a prisoner that I was lucky, that she, Betty, had planned on locking me in the furnace room for discipline the next day. I was treated like a criminal, watched all night, secluded from any contact, could not even pack my stuff, it was packed for me. I had nightmares after leaving there for years, we woke by a bell, ate by a bell, did chores by a bell, at Christmas my family made me a HUGE box of treats, family recipes and my Grandma included a huge box of my fav Turtles, there was enough to share with everyone and mom made sure it was ok to bring the box to TC, Betty told her sure... later I saw my HUGE box of Turtles in Betty's room, right next to the baby she was keeping from it's own mother. There were a LOT of female on female relationships going on there. I remember a girl who ate rat poison trying to kill herself to get out of there. I was lucky... by the age 26 I had put to rest most of the demons those women introduced to me, an innocent young girl who only wanted Christian companionship and safety.... That those women are still running a place for people appalls me, I think we need to reopen a law suit or two... do some follow up SOMETHING. Just because God starts something, MAN can pervert it, TC is a wonderful concept if MONITORED, there have to be checks and balances to make sure someone isn't getting power drunk... When David Wilkerson and his staff came to visit not ONE of us girls was seen, not one... we were locked upstairs... how is this making sure things are ok, if you are a Shepard of God you must check on your flock... you are responsible... and no matter how wonderful or spirit filled, David Wilkerson FAILED Teen Challenge in Indianapolis. FAILED!!!
Kathy, facebook me, Angela Vecera, Indianapolis, Former Teen Challenge Survivor
Joyce L

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Angela V wrote:
<quoted text> Kathy, facebook me, Angela Vecera, Indianapolis, Former Teen Challenge Survivor
Angela V.--just read your post in the Teen Challenge section of the Minneapolis Forum of 19 hours ago--very good read!! I am going to try to reach you via Facebook!
Joyce L

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Joyce L wrote:
<quoted text>
Angela V.--just read your post in the Teen Challenge section of the Minneapolis Forum of 19 hours ago--very good read!! I am going to try to reach you via Facebook!
Sorry--got mixed up--it was Kathy's post I was referring to...
Joyce L

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Angela V wrote:
<quoted text> Kathy, facebook me, Angela Vecera, Indianapolis, Former Teen Challenge Survivor
Kathy, I was at INDY TC in 1976--you can Facebook me also at Joyce Leader, Springfield, MO--we have an Indianapolis Teen Challenge Facebook group if you are interested in the support...we also "have survived"!!
ER Doc

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Rex wrote:
<quoted text>
there is a reentry center in Omaha, NE and I can tell you that our centers allow students to stay on after graduation as interns and entry level staff. Room and board are free and they are schooled on how to formulate a budget, we help them set up and checking and savings account, we help begin the process of obtaining a valid driver's license, and we also help with any fines they may have incurred. We do not just dump people on the sidewalk with no plan, however, 96% of all secular programs do.
Bullshit. Almost EVERY treatment program that isn't run by people who believe in invisible sky daddies have an aftercare program or IOP.
Jimmy

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Stop Teen Challenge Abuse wrote:
<quoted text>
My advise to you is get your daughter out of Teen Challenge immediately and seek treatment from trained, qualified professionals!
because those qualified professionals have such a high success rate right?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,141 - 1,160 of1,268
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance