|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Jenny Finn wrote:
1979/1980
My name is Jenny Finn,(short, redhead) I was one of the girls that was locked in the janitors closet.I was there when they finally got busted, and was sent to LaRue Carter Hospital, covered in impetigo sores.
I am looking for other survivors...possibly Angela, RayLee...
email me at merrypranksterz@gmail.com for more information.
I cannot believe I found this thread!
Welcome aboard!! I came across it by accident also--but I was there from the Spring thru the Fall of 1976, so we do not know each other. I am sorry for what you had to go through. I hope you find comfort in connecting with others who understand. Are you OKAY NOW??
tammy Grubb Sweigart

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2012

Jenny Finn wrote:
1979/1980
My name is Jenny Finn,(short, redhead) I was one of the girls that was locked in the janitors closet.I was there when they finally got busted, and was sent to LaRue Carter Hospital, covered in impetigo sores.
I am looking for other survivors...possibly Angela, RayLee...
email me at merrypranksterz@gmail.com for more information.
I cannot believe I found this thread!
I remember I ws there too 1979 and 1980 do u remember me ..... I know all about the closet,, and the scrubbing of floors,,,,,,How r u now
cari

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Judged:

Deidre :) Hi its Cari. I posted my original post that you replied to 5 years ago. Opened this back up this evening. Just wanted to say thank you for your post and setting the record straight. I could never have iied or blamed someone for something like what happened to us then. It still haunts me. I'm glad that Betty Violet and Ruth Thulman were charged. Because that proves that there was justice. If my roomate and I hadn't went to the doctor and spoken up It would have kept happening. I just hope that parents listen and go into any kinda of program for their children with open eyes and hearts. That all children get the repect and help they deserved. How could christians not remember GOD loves all the children-they are precious in his sight. Where were "MOM"-Betty and Ruth during that song in church!!!??? Thank you again D.
lost

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

I really believe tc is a cult my boyfriend is there and I can't go see him they won't let us talk on the phone my heart hurt for us.
concerned mom

Edinburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Keys1127 wrote:
<quoted text>
I too wish I had more positive comments about Teen Challenge. My issues with it were not even directly related to my son but to others that were in the program with him. I would be happy to send my documented account to anyone who wishes to read it. I went so far as to send it to radio and television stations, corporate Teen Challenge, local Assembly of God churches in the area, as well as the state and national headquarters. Just let me know if you would like a copy. Thanks.
Yes, I am very interested in knowing what you have to say. Please direct me to it.
been there

Westchester, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

ya TC is cultlike...I hated it
Stop Teen Challenge

Danville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

I just got back from the worst month of my life at The Shenandoah Valley Teen Challenge in Bayse, Virginia. The program has absolutely no structure. There are no qualified people working there at all. There is probably more college educated people actually suffering in the program. Just like any other TC this place consists of work, work, copy the bible, work, eat. I was never approached by any authority there and asked why or what cause me to join the program. I had 2 Bible classes in my time there both of which were only 20 minutes a piece. I worked 14 days in a row directing traffic all day through Christmas with no pay and surviving off very little food. For dinner we were served either 1 hamburger or 2 hot dogs and nothing else with it. On the morning after Christmas I was told to eat my cereal with no milk. I came to this program open minded towards getting God back in my life and getting better. This place scared the shit out of me and like many others who knows when I will want to step in a church again. If you think bottling up their emotions, starving themselves, working all day everyday, not being able to think for themselves, and the Old Testament shoved down their throats will make your loved ones better then this is the place for them. I don't agree with the place on so many levels and hope that someway you can believe me and send your family elsewhere.

If you'd like to hear more detailed information please email me at - cmh2179@gmail.com
josie

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

just wondering ive only read about half of these post and wonder why TC is so awful... you make it sound like its either agree or die... lol i mean is it really that bad? why do people feel like it is the absolute worst. i hear alot of "all they want is money" so do the owners drive in lincolns, mercedes, bmw's? are the people in the facilty being beaten? are they being fed? starved? in cages? is it a prision setting? what is it that makes everyone so sure they are money hungry and where is the money going if they are... you know it does cost money to run a facility like that. God does send way for things like that to happen... cuz if u want to call a christian based facility money hungry wouldnt it be all churches, television, and radio its alll based on donations and tithes and offerings im just curious... are all these christian based things money hungry as well. not everything works the same for every person wouldnt compare it to dog on leashed more like diets. no two people are the same so not everything works the same. not everyone thinks or is on the same path. just like diets some people need a trainer to train them how to eat and be fit. some need peopl screaming at them to get the point. some people need pills to cope. some needs doctors to help with weight loss. some can do it by themselves. point is everyone is differnt and not everyone gets better the same. so even if TC has records of recoveries why does it matter... everyone else keeps record of everythings. but someone who hates the facility is set in their mind that the program doesnt work. to each his own. agree to disagree

Since: Feb 13

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

The reason that more "Anonymous" programs work better is because they deal with "Spirituality" not "Religion". TC basically says that "religion" is the "only way". IMO, "religion" is part of what gets ppl messed up in the 1st place. By the time a person admits 2 themselves and other ppl that they are an addict, a lot of them feel that God has abandoned them and trying to push their version of "God" on them, only pushes them farther away from Him. All the other 12-step programs leave a way to come back to God (as we know him). The way I understand God may not be the way you understand Him. The way I understand God in my life is going to help me out a lot better than the version you understand.
Addi King

Lebanon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Teen Challenge in Lebanon, Indiana has helped me so much. i have overcome so many struggles and addictions, ive been out of teen challenge for al,ost two years and have been clean this whole time! THANK YOU TC!!!!!!!!!!
Joyce L

Joplin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Addi King wrote:
Teen Challenge in Lebanon, Indiana has helped me so much. i have overcome so many struggles and addictions, ive been out of teen challenge for al,ost two years and have been clean this whole time! THANK YOU TC!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!! IT'S GREAT TO HEAR A POSITIVE STORY FOR A CHANGE, AND IT IS WONDERFUL THAT WITH GOD'S HELP YOU HAVE REMAINED CLEAN & SOBER FOR 2 YEARS!!! I will remember that Lebanon, Indiana has a GOOD TC!!
Decided

Moultrie, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Michael Kincheloe wrote:
Actually, I plan to sin well and often, but thanks for the prayer and the nice words.
I found this blog due to trying to research TC because I need help. I have to admit when I first started reading it I was definitely having second thoughts. That is until I read the above comment. Michael your problem isn't with TC. It's with yourself. Just as mine is with myself. The only difference is I'm tired of sinning and doing drugs as you obviously are not. Shame on you for trying to stear those who are ready away from a possible chance at recovery. Your above post backfired with me however. It just reaffirmed my decision so thank you.
hayden

Hannibal, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Teen Challenge is a fucking joke. The staff working at the Kansas City TC are an even bigger joke. Power hunger control freaks who get off on managing every aspect of adolescent girls' lives. No help is given and the 1 hour counseling sessions every 2 weeks hardly accomplish anything. Also, while they are under new management now, the previous Director was a money hungry wolf in lambs clothing who may or may not have sexually harrassed many of the pretty young girls in the program. As for other Teen Challenges I do not know how they are run, but I would never reccomend TCKC to anyone, ever.
hayden

Hannibal, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

josie wrote:
just wondering ive only read about half of these post and wonder why TC is so awful... you make it sound like its either agree or die... lol i mean is it really that bad? why do people feel like it is the absolute worst. i hear alot of "all they want is money" so do the owners drive in lincolns, mercedes, bmw's? are the people in the facilty being beaten? are they being fed? starved? in cages? is it a prision setting? what is it that makes everyone so sure they are money hungry and where is the money going if they are... you know it does cost money to run a facility like that. God does send way for things like that to happen... cuz if u want to call a christian based facility money hungry wouldnt it be all churches, television, and radio its alll based on donations and tithes and offerings im just curious... are all these christian based things money hungry as well. not everything works the same for every person wouldnt compare it to dog on leashed more like diets. no two people are the same so not everything works the same. not everyone thinks or is on the same path. just like diets some people need a trainer to train them how to eat and be fit. some need peopl screaming at them to get the point. some people need pills to cope. some needs doctors to help with weight loss. some can do it by themselves. point is everyone is differnt and not everyone gets better the same. so even if TC has records of recoveries why does it matter... everyone else keeps record of everythings. but someone who hates the facility is set in their mind that the program doesnt work. to each his own. agree to disagree
As for the money hungry question, the Teen Challenge I was at was dirt poor. Unlike many facilities, Kansas City TC tuition is based on gaurdians income instead of a flat monthly rate. This made for lack of money in all areas. The facility itself was in poor condition. 50-60 girls shoved into a too small space. Rarely passing inspections and only cleaned when said inspection was expected. All food was donated. Meals were made up of high carbs to fill us up and of no nutritional value. Which was unfair to the girls with parents paying full tuition because of their high income. So where was all of the money that was being paid going? Definitely not into maintenance or food. Ha! I do know that running a facility does cost a lot of money, but not as much as they were making off the parents. At the end of my stay in Kansas City the whole thing was being over turned. The money issue was brought up and when the Director was fired, many un-cashed checks were found in various places throughout his office. While this can be blamed on poor organization/lack of secretary I sit here and think of how all of the money my parents were paying each month was not being used for anything, while I was suffering in a shit hole facility, hungry, and disgusted by the filth. That is just my experience with he money side of things.
Addi

Lebanon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

y would u say that. im real dissapointed in u. all there tryin 2 do is help u. if u didnt go there, u could be DEAD in a DITCH somewhere. i get u dont like the rules, but there r reasons y.
DCD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Addi King wrote:
Thanks for your Post, Please if you dont mind, share a little more on your treatment there. What time frame were you there? What is your age? Thanks!
Brooke Barnes

Gibsonton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

I've read everything that everyone has wrote and whoever works for this company and is responding to all of the people giving their opinions is a real whack job. Grow up some and find something better to do with your time. I was looking up information because a friend I know was put in this program, and I'm disgusted by all of these posts. Definately would never be a choice for me to send anyone I know or care about helping. What a disgrace. It's one thing to voice your opinions and stick up for your company but those posts sound like they are coming from a severely sick mind. Maybe they should get some help and if that kind of behavior is going on there, i know the people who I know who sent their child would never in a million years tolerate their child being abused or molested, so I sure pray what I have read are lies and if not these people pay for what they do wrong.
michelle smith

Winchester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Hi my name is Michelle Smith. I am currently working on exposing Teen Challenge. I am very interested in hearing from you. You can email me at MRSKTS07@YAHOO.COM. I look forward to hearing from you.
concerned mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am very interested in knowing what you have to say. Please direct me to it.
donna brice

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Cari wrote:
I dont really care about what anyone else thinks or what the media thinks. I was a victim yes a victim of TEEN CHALLENGE in Indianapolis, In. The 2 people who ran it Betty Violet and Ruth thulman I think if I'm corerct. Received charges of child abuse and kidnapping. I was there in 1980 I have horrific night mares and really to this day do not know what happened to these 2 women. But I PRAY TO GOD YES TO GOD they received the punishment that is see fit in GODS eyes and his will. HORRIBLE!!!!!!11<quoted text>
If they were charges for child abuse, I wish I had known , because I was there in 1972/1973. wow the stories (horror)I could tell
donna brice

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

I was there in 1972/1973.. It was worst then being in jail!!! They watched you take shower's, and you could only take them on certain days . I got German Measles twice in less than 2 months. Betty (Mom) said it was God punishing me. I had to steal lemons to eat, because I was so hungery. You are not LIAR , nobody knows unless they lived there. There are so many stories (Horror) I could tell

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,121 - 1,140 of1,268
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
For a good, cheaper cigar, head to Wisconsin; M... 6 hr Brown fingers and teeth 60
Minneapolis Public Schools aims for new level o... 6 hr redeemer 1
The 1% Should Pay Their Fair Share in Taxes 8 hr redeemer 12
Will Michelle DUMP Barak 8 hr Judy 19
CBO Estimates U.S. Deficit Will Shrink More Tha... 8 hr redeemer 3
Obamacare Sign-Ups Hit 8 Million in Remarkable ... 8 hr redeemer 4
Koch Brothers Net Worth Tops $100 Billion as TV... 8 hr redeemer 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••