Gophers making progress, even if modest, toward building basketball practice facility

Full story: TwinCities.com

The good news is the University of Minnesota finally is making progress toward building a basketball practice facility - something Tubby Smith has been clamoring for since he was hired as men's basketball coach in 2007.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
HOLDONAMINUTE

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Judged:

Come on Denny Sanford. Chuck some of your cash towards the bball team.
Beavis

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Judged:

Thank God! Now I can sleep again.
The Loon

Saginaw, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Judged:

It is all part of an ugly, ugly arms race.
Get Her Done NOW

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Judged:

If it weren't for Smith's desire and experience in having a practice facility way back in Kentucky the Gophers would be the LAST team to even think about a practice facility in the country.

Remember Minnesota is always the last team pro or college to upgrade anything.......The football Gopher stadium.......after Mason begged for one because of recruitments seeing the lowly dome.

The Target Field........after almost contraction by billionaire owners & former Twins all-star & Cy-young winners have left.

The Vikings.....and I don't have to say much because we all know what is needed.

And the biggest problem we face is that prolonging all these new facilities and or stadiums this long solves nothing......only the price increases along with more to build even if the team moves, a new franchise comes in with a bigger price tag(The WILD).......soo to that end..........GET THE GOD DAM THING BUILT NOW!!!! or PAY A HIGHER PRICE LATER.

Minnesotans must be the DUMBER of the DUMB!

Even a fifth grader can see this coming!
Boring Wisconsin

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Judged:

Get Her Done NOW wrote:
If it weren't for Smith's desire and experience in having a practice facility way back in Kentucky the Gophers would be the LAST team to even think about a practice facility in the country.
Remember Minnesota is always the last team pro or college to upgrade anything.......The football Gopher stadium.......after Mason begged for one because of recruitments seeing the lowly dome.
The Target Field........after almost contraction by billionaire owners & former Twins all-star & Cy-young winners have left.
The Vikings.....and I don't have to say much because we all know what is needed.
And the biggest problem we face is that prolonging all these new facilities and or stadiums this long solves nothing......only the price increases along with more to build even if the team moves, a new franchise comes in with a bigger price tag(The WILD).......soo to that end..........GET THE GOD DAM THING BUILT NOW!!!! or PAY A HIGHER PRICE LATER.
Minnesotans must be the DUMBER of the DUMB!
Even a fifth grader can see this coming!
The sad part of all these political tugging back and forth is that we as Minnesotan sports fans are the ones along with their favorite pro or college teams are the ones suffering yearly from......losing great free agents & recruits because of bad or outdated facilities or stadiums. The very sad part is that we already have something against our teams....SNOW & COLD not like sunny LA or MIAMI. So why not build the biggest and baddest for your teams so they can at least have a chance to compete for good players and that will really show on the win column.

The point is where we are living the teams already have a disadvantage because of the cold and snow......why make it harder for them to win with an old facility or stadium? Why even have division I teams or Pro ball teams for if they can only do so much with so little talent coming in either with coaches or players?

2 years ago we could have save millions and now we just added a couple more millions to the price tag........and the price tag just keeps going upward not downward folks. Politics have blinded the common man and his common sense. Now he/she wants to follow rehtorics and fear.
poot

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Judged:

How can these "things" possibly cost THAT much? 23 mil for two courts offices and a video room? Someone is getting ripped off.
Wahoo McDaniel

Austin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

As usual, Minnesota comes in Dead Last in terms of facilities. As a lifelong Minnesotan, we're collectively nothing but a big group of Northern U.S. "Hillbillies"! We're all "Entitled" and always want someone else to "Pay The Bill"! We're the most frugal group of people in the country!
Jackpine savage

Glendale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

Reality is we are falling behind...other prominent college and pro sports programs with facilities. We need to make a policy decision...do we compete or not? Simple.

then, we need revenue...some of it the dreaded "T" word, donations from athletes who have gone on to $$$ success, alumni egos, etc.

First we have to make the initial decision... Then on to job training (also called k-12 schools), health care for all, technology.

And on the 7th day.....
EddieW

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

Judged:

I hope the first people in line to donate the big bucks are those who have become rich because of their time spent at the barn...like Kevin McHale, Flip Saunders, etc.
emerson boozer guy

Laguna Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

Our wonderful and omnipresent AD(Mr Maturi) should have listened to Tubby back in 2007 and started the feasibility study then. I can't sleep at night worrying about what Maturi will screw up next. Please get this guy out of here before I die.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

emerson boozer guy wrote:
Our wonderful and omnipresent AD(Mr Maturi) should have listened to Tubby back in 2007 and started the feasibility study then. I can't sleep at night worrying about what Maturi will screw up next. Please get this guy out of here before I die.
In 2007 they were raising 90 million dollars for the football stadium.
Kathy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

this will be so great

Since: Feb 08

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

Seems like the immediate priority should be getting a baseball stadium funded and built for a team that currently has NO HOME FIELD or NO PRACTICE FACILITY.

But it is sweet to hear that Ralph comes in and shoots with his girlfriend. Wonder if he has found some competition where he can actually get some rebounds and dominate someone inside the lane?
JNardo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

Sounds cool, come on you rich donors, get er done.
wolverines

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

Judged:

Its probably the study hall thats holding it up, no one can figure out what that is.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2011

wolverines wrote:
Its probably the study hall thats holding it up, no one can figure out what that is.
Study hall has been held in the McNamara Academic Center for the last 10 years. It's located nowhere near the proposed basketball practice facility.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••