For a good, cheaper cigar, head to Wisconsin; Minnesota tobacco merchants suffer

Mar 28, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TwinCities

A few times a week, John Schumacher gets in his car and drives across the border to Hudson, Wis., where he stops by St. Croix Cigar Co.

Comments
41 - 60 of 73 Comments Last updated Apr 24, 2014

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#48 Apr 7, 2014
So no room for compromise? No options for smoking AND non-smoking venues? Which takes us back to unbridled self righteous zealotry.
show me the money

Minneapolis, MN

#49 Apr 7, 2014
slick willie wrote:
we say slick willie in line - man he must LOVE cigars !!
wink wink -
<quoted text>
cigar win in the Clinton library !! ha- ha - ha !!

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#50 Apr 7, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
So no room for compromise? No options for smoking AND non-smoking venues? Which takes us back to unbridled self righteous zealotry.
There is no room for compromise. No options for smoking venues. Smokers are addicts. There is no reason to compromise with addicts. If the addicts don't like it, they can stay at home. That, after all, was the choice the addicts gave the non smokers for decades. It worked for them then, it works for us now.

Rogers, MN

#51 Apr 7, 2014
Like I said...self righteous, religious, zealotry. Something akin to the Westboro Baptist Church kind of zealotry.

Location hidden

#54 Apr 7, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
Like I said...self righteous, religious, zealotry. Something akin to the Westboro Baptist Church kind of zealotry.
I must be one of those people that stand outside lung cancer victims funerals with a sign that says "God hates smokers!"

Draw whatever comparisons you want. Public places need to be non smoking. That includes e-cigs.

Rogers, MN

#55 Apr 7, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
I must be one of those people that stand outside lung cancer victims funerals with a sign that says "God hates smokers!"
Draw whatever comparisons you want. Public places need to be non smoking. That includes e-cigs.
That would not surprise me in the least.

There is room for both in this world. And it has already begun.
So again, grow up, take responsibility for your own fate, stay out of places where people smoke. Watch where you walk. Look both ways before you cross the street.
Stay out of bad neighborhoods at night.
Don't put your face near a strange dogs mouth.

Location hidden

#56 Apr 7, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>

There is room for both in this world. And it has already begun.
Actually, the laws restricting smoking get more and more encompassing every time you turn around. Look at Ohio. Used to be there had to be a no smoking section. You remember- the section that was separated from the smoking section by invisible walls that prevented the smoke from wafting over. Then some places had to be non smoking. Now bars as well as restaurants are required to be non smoking. Oberlin, OH does not allow tobacco use in parks. Beaches and parks all across the country are going smoke free as are outdoor seating areas like patios. Colleges and Universities are going smoke free. Apartments, condos and shared housing are going smoke free-some by choice, some by law. Public transportation is smoke free. In many places it is illegal to smoke in a car with children. E-cigarettes are being added to the smoke free laws. I do not see accommodation being made for smokers. There may be some new laws that let smokers continue to smoke in some locations, but those laws continue to erode the places where smokers can smoke. If you look at recent history, lawmakers continue to come back and outlaw smoking where they had allowed it just a few years before. States like KY that do not have a statewide ban continue to move closer to one and tobacco states like NC and VA have banned smoking in at least some locations.

So, no, there is no compromise.
monica will be 2016 news

Minneapolis, MN

#57 Apr 8, 2014
billary 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>
hey is did not have sexual relations with that woman ( RIGHT )!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KiIP_KDQmXsXX
what stain is on her dress, white glue ????
great drama on the political 2016, joe joe the monkey boy obiden vs billary and her so called cigar man.

Rogers, MN

#58 Apr 8, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
. If you look at recent history, lawmakers continue to come back and outlaw smoking where they had allowed it just a few years before. States like KY that do not have a statewide ban continue to move closer to one and tobacco states like NC and VA have banned smoking in at least some locations.
So, no, there is no compromise.
If you look at recent, and not so recent, history, prohibition does not work. Never has, never will. And eventually, it gets repealed. Anti-drug laws were passed. And summarily ignored. Authorities are unable to even make a dent in the flow. Now we are providing clean needles for addicts, medical marijuana, decriminalized marijuana, now legal marijuana turning Denver in to Amsterdam. More states to follow. See, people don't like it when quasi-religious zealots try to control their lives. And eventually, they react and revolt.

Location hidden

#60 Apr 8, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at recent, and not so recent, history, prohibition does not work. Never has, never will. And eventually, it gets repealed. Anti-drug laws were passed. And summarily ignored. Authorities are unable to even make a dent in the flow. Now we are providing clean needles for addicts, medical marijuana, decriminalized marijuana, now legal marijuana turning Denver in to Amsterdam. More states to follow. See, people don't like it when quasi-religious zealots try to control their lives. And eventually, they react and revolt.
There is a difference. Tobacco is not prohibited. The restrictions are where it can be used. That works for alcohol. You cannot legally have an open container in a car, even if you are not driving. Many places outlaw open containers on the sidewalk. Many parks do not allow alcohol consumption except at your campsite and some do not allow it there. There are strict rules as to who can serve or sell alcohol. Most places prohibit the sale of alcohol within so many feet of a school. In Colorado, the smoking laws still apply, even with marijuana. You cannot light up a joint in a restaurant. Providing clean needles for an addict is humane. They way they stand a better chance of living until they can get clean. Despite providing them with clean needles, heroin still remains illegal and if they shoot up in front of a cop they will be arrested.

So, while we continue to place restrictions on the use and sale of tobacco, we are not entering a state of prohibition like we did with alcohol last century.

Rogers, MN

#61 Apr 8, 2014
It is the same since it involves the government restricting peoples behavior, trying to make them better. Instead of letting cultural evolution take it's course. It never works. Mostly because of self righteous zealots who believe they can make people better. And you have a choice to go where drinking is or is not allowed. You should also have a choice to go places where you can smoke and drink if you like. And a choice to go where neither is allowed. But the current wave is to make it so difficult to smoke anywhere, people will change. They won't and they never will if it us forced upon them. So compromise must be the way. So either ban it altogether and give up the revenue, which is what this is really all about, or shut up and let the market do the work for you. The decision to allow or disallow smoking in public places, which are still private businesses, should be left up to the owner, and ultimately the patrons, not the state.

Location hidden

#62 Apr 8, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
The decision to allow or disallow smoking in public places, which are still private businesses, should be left up to the owner, and ultimately the patrons, not the state.
Just like we leave the decision up to the private business whether or not they want to sell alcohol. Oh WAIT! We DON"T do that. The state makes the decision. You cannot sell beer here. How about we leave it up to the private owner of a house whether or not to mow their front yard. OH MY! We don't do that, either. The world you live in, just like the world I live in, is FULL of restrictions. You can do this, but you can't do that. Zoning laws and the like are the first step in controlling what a property owner can or cannot do. Then come the health laws. We do not let restaurants decide whether or not their employees should wash their hands after they go to the bathroom. If you live in a society you have to conform to the society. In this case, you have to restrict where you are allowed to smoke. The MAJORITY does not smoke and does not wish to be exposed to smoke.

Rogers, MN

#63 Apr 9, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like we leave the decision up to the private business whether or not they want to sell alcohol. Oh WAIT! We DON"T do that. The state makes the decision. You cannot sell beer here. How about we leave it up to the private owner of a house whether or not to mow their front yard. OH MY! We don't do that, either. The world you live in, just like the world I live in, is FULL of restrictions. You can do this, but you can't do that. Zoning laws and the like are the first step in controlling what a property owner can or cannot do. Then come the health laws. We do not let restaurants decide whether or not their employees should wash their hands after they go to the bathroom. If you live in a society you have to conform to the society. In this case, you have to restrict where you are allowed to smoke. The MAJORITY does not smoke and does not wish to be exposed to smoke.
Yes, there are rules. But this one is dead wrong. The majority of smokers do not want to expose you and you have never ever been forced to be exposed. And the market was moving in that direction but the petty little nanny tyrants were not happy with a compromise solution and wanted it all. So far they have gotten it. But in time, hopefully, common sense will prevail.

Location hidden

#64 Apr 9, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
But in time, hopefully, common sense will prevail.
I am hoping for that, too. Common sense means that smokers will not smoke around other people.
Casey

Saint Paul, MN

#65 Apr 9, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
I am hoping for that, too. Common sense means that smokers will not smoke around other people.
As with zealots of any stripe, you come across as pretty loony.

Location hidden

#66 Apr 9, 2014
Casey wrote:
<quoted text>
As with zealots of any stripe, you come across as pretty loony.
Anyone sounds loony to an addict who is told they cannot engage in their addiction whenever and wherever they want. Of course, since I am in the majority-that is the non smokers- I sound sane to enough people that bans are enacted. I feel good about that. When I support a ban and it comes to fruition, I know that I have made the world a better place.
Right

Saint Paul, MN

#67 Apr 9, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no room for compromise. No options for smoking venues. Smokers are addicts. There is no reason to compromise with addicts. If the addicts don't like it, they can stay at home. That, after all, was the choice the addicts gave the non smokers for decades. It worked for them then, it works for us now.
There is no room for Drunk Drivers. Let's keep the drinkers home also. Drunk drivers kill everyday somewhere. They are addicted to alcohol. Both should have been banned long ago, but the tax monies are more important.
Casey

Saint Paul, MN

#68 Apr 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone sounds loony to an addict who is told they cannot engage in their addiction whenever and wherever they want. Of course, since I am in the majority-that is the non smokers- I sound sane to enough people that bans are enacted. I feel good about that. When I support a ban and it comes to fruition, I know that I have made the world a better place.
"Delusions of grandeur". Another trait of zealots. Taking personal credit for smoking bans? Haha

Rogers, MN

#69 Apr 10, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Something we can agree on. Also, common sense means that non-smokers will not hang around smokers and then whine about the smoke.
Brown fingers and teeth

Winnipeg, Canada

#71 Apr 17, 2014
cantGETitup wrote:
<quoted text>
Something we can agree on. Also, common sense means that non-smokers will not hang around smokers and then whine about the smoke.
knuckle dragger

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rams cut Sam, 1st openly gay player drafted 19 min Capt Crunch 3
ISIS eyes Mexican border, says bulletin 35 min Capt Crunch 8
Abbott Northwestern Hospital any good? 2 hr Elizabeth 16
DHS considering new security measures to interc... 3 hr Wendall 5
Obama: "no strategy" on Isis. 3 hr Wendall 10
No mention of radical Islam in FBI threat report 3 hr Herb 2
Minneapolis: A Hotbed For Radical Islam 4 hr Herb 70
•••
•••
Minneapolis Dating