Does Minnesota need all those back MRIs?

Does Minnesota need all those back MRIs?

There are 61 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 24, 2010, titled Does Minnesota need all those back MRIs?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

When it comes to controlling health care costs, Minnesota has a pain in its lower back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
LBJ

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 24, 2010
Queue the media to start greasing up the public for rationing of healthcare. Of course when the liar in chief was telling people government healthcare would not lead to rationing, his idiot followers didn't doubt him. But now we're going to start seeing more stories like this about how we're all getting too much care and it's wasteful. Then the cuts will start and the rationing. I can't wait to hear what people think about government healthcare when they start hearing the word "no" to tests and procedures that used to be covered.
Patrick S

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jul 24, 2010
I had a MRI scan done on my back a month or so ago and found out that my L5 S1 was herniated and I have been walking around with it like that for months because I didn't want to go to the dr and find out what was wrong but the pain just got to unbearable so I had to go. So yes I am glad that I was okayed for it but I do understand that most people are hyperchrondiacs with nothing wrong at all and they are the ones besides stealing low life drs and nurses charging extra for stuff so that they can pocket more money. So yes there is good and bad but that goes with everything in life.
not a republican

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 24, 2010
LBJ is obviously a right wing troll. Lower back pain is real and if a cause could be found, relieve would be a blessing for millions.
Chad

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jul 25, 2010
LBJ wrote:
Queue the media to start greasing up the public for rationing of healthcare. Of course when the liar in chief was telling people government healthcare would not lead to rationing, his idiot followers didn't doubt him. But now we're going to start seeing more stories like this about how we're all getting too much care and it's wasteful. Then the cuts will start and the rationing. I can't wait to hear what people think about government healthcare when they start hearing the word "no" to tests and procedures that used to be covered.
Our clinic has already participated in a teleconference detailing the appropriate "delay of care " explanation to help explain the longer waits expected in family practice. The days of same day are appointments are a thing of the past. After all the components of the reform have been integrated into the system the wait to see your PCP will be 3-7 weeks for most patients.
So true

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jul 25, 2010
LBJ wrote:
Queue the media to start greasing up the public for rationing of healthcare. Of course when the liar in chief was telling people government healthcare would not lead to rationing, his idiot followers didn't doubt him. But now we're going to start seeing more stories like this about how we're all getting too much care and it's wasteful. Then the cuts will start and the rationing. I can't wait to hear what people think about government healthcare when they start hearing the word "no" to tests and procedures that used to be covered.
You hit the nail on the head. Well said.
Livingwithbackpa in

United States

#7 Jul 25, 2010
This story never states how many of the MRIs provided evidence of back injury that a doctor can use to better treat the patient. I wish I could get an MRI but niether my insurance or my work comp will pay for an MRI. The state of Minnesota has the worst insurance companies to deal with so I can't believe that they are so generous with the MRIs.
ZAN

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jul 25, 2010
Minnesotans need to loose weight and exercise more. Too many have caused their own problems and refuse to do physical therapy and conservative treatment before they see the orthopedist. There are ortho doctors in the cities who won't see a patient w/o the MRI. i blame both.
Who is the troll here

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jul 25, 2010
not a republican wrote:
LBJ is obviously a right wing troll. Lower back pain is real and if a cause could be found, relieve would be a blessing for millions.
Try seeing a Chiropractor first. MD's want to treat things with drugs and pain killers.
Chiropractors aling the body so your bones help support each other. And furthermore most people could stand to loose a ton of weight which would be much better for their joints. I am 5'8" 160 pounds and have been seeing a Chiropractor for 25 years. I work hard and play hard and the Chiro keeps me moving. I pay him cash and skip all the BS with insurance. I go once every 2 or 3 weeks for a tuneup. It is what it is. He is worth every dime I have given him in 25 years.
Michele

Mankato, MN

#10 Jul 25, 2010
Yup, here comes the rationing. Just think, we could save money and be like Canada, where it takes 6 months to get an MRI because they have a handful of MRI machines. We all know the politicians are EXPERTS on saving money. Funny how they ruined the free-market healthcare system which was affordable for most with their idiotic pandering, then step in to ruin it further with even more idiotic laws that have never worked anywhere.
joebadoka

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jul 25, 2010
Are they just going to let the machine sit there and collect dust? What about the person running the machine? Another lay off in Minnesota. Let people get in line. Run more money off the presses because we have lots more people here now. And we all have back aches from working in sweat shops for 12 hour shifts.
Sally

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 25, 2010
Maybe Minnesotans have more back pain the others because of the huge bloated state government they have on their shoulders.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#13 Jul 25, 2010
Sally wrote:
Maybe Minnesotans have more back pain the others because of the huge bloated state government they have on their shoulders.
Probably have fissures too, from similar causes!
Tom

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jul 25, 2010
To those of you complaining about rationing, just answer me this: Why should you get access to life-saving/improving health care and poor people (your fellow US citizens) not get it? Why? Tell me why that is fair and just. I just want to hear you say it.
joebadoka

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jul 25, 2010
Tom wrote:
To those of you complaining about rationing, just answer me this: Why should you get access to life-saving/improving health care and poor people (your fellow US citizens) not get it? Why? Tell me why that is fair and just. I just want to hear you say it.
Maybe because they get up and go to work. Maybe we could issue everyone a job.
Big G

Hudson, WI

#16 Jul 25, 2010
Tom wrote:
To those of you complaining about rationing, just answer me this: Why should you get access to life-saving/improving health care and poor people (your fellow US citizens) not get it? Why? Tell me why that is fair and just. I just want to hear you say it.
Because the type of rationing you suggest ultimately denies care to everyone, or it makes the quality of care so poor that nobody benefits. Soviet style care has failed, especially in large scale applications.
carpenter bob

Parkers Prairie, MN

#17 Jul 25, 2010
Medicare pays $500.00 per MRI.Is that why mine cost $2800.00? and the only healthcare plan I can afford has a $7500.00 deductable so yes I am making monthly payments.thank you.
Anonymous

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jul 25, 2010
If you are worried about rationing, you can find a private doctor and pay him out of pocket. Wait -- what's that? You can't afford that? Oh, well welcome to the world of people who can't afford health insurance at all.

There is nothing about your insurance that says you can get all of the care you want whenever you want it. Basically your timely, well-optioned access to health care your whole lives has been as good as it has been, in part, because of the millions of people going without health care. Now that their access potentially affects you, you're up in arms.

The irony is that I'm guessing most all of you call yourselves Christians. A real Christian would never be as selfish as you. You use the Christian label and stand behind other moral causes that you can pick and choose -- just don't ask you to stand up for the poor and unfortunate, even though that is arguably the most important thing you should be doing as a true Christian.
Tom

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 25, 2010
Big G wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the type of rationing you suggest ultimately denies care to everyone, or it makes the quality of care so poor that nobody benefits. Soviet style care has failed, especially in large scale applications.
It doesn't deny care to everyone. You're just buying into the fears -- or trying to disingenuously spread them. All it means is that there will be growing pains in the system and perhaps slower access to care to less urgent patients (and more sensible decisions about the kinds of tests you really need). Haven't you ever heard of collective sacrifice? That's what people used to do in the United States about 70 years ago.

If you want your unfettered access to health care just pay for a private doctor. If you say you can't afford that, ask yourself why you have always taken for granted that you should get that access and others shouldn't. Just because you have a job and more money? If you think that's a reason that you should have health care and they shouldn't, you're a selfish, heartless person.
Mr Smart

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jul 25, 2010
The question should be, why is it so g*dd*nm expensive to get an MRI? Seems to me it's common sense to want to be able to see what is going on with the back before you prescribe medication or treatment.
BRQ

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jul 25, 2010
Had I not had an MRI the doctors wouldn't have known the seriousness of my condition and I'd be paralyzed today -$500 seems like a small price to pay to me!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
our hero donald trump 1 hr FOVR 13
who is Tyrus? mystery Babylon? the scarlet beast? 1 hr FOVR 4
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 2 hr Boots on the Grou... 501
Vicente Fox Caves, Kneels at Trumps Feet 5 hr space ace 15
they want us dead 18 hr TAAM 2
News Purple Faith: Prince's Life as a Jehovah's Witness 19 hr McFerret 862
the great culling 20 hr space ace 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages