Elizabeth Warren on Benghazi

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Since: Apr 12

St. Paul, MN

#1 May 10, 2014
Earlier this week, Speaker John Boehner announced the formation of a new select committee to investigate Benghazi led by Rep. Trey Gowdy.

All three of my brothers served in the military, and I know firsthand how much Americans serving abroad -- and their families -- sacrifice. What happened in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012 was a tragedy. Four Americans died putting themselves in harm's way in service to peace, diplomacy, and their country. I look at what happened in Benghazi with sadness, with seriousness, and as yet another call to honor the men and women who keep us safe.

So let me be blunt: that kind of seriousness is sorely missing from the no-holds-barred political theater of the House Republicans.

I know a little bit about the way Trey Gowdy pursues oversight. I was on the other end of it when I was setting up the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and I was called to testify before the House. As the Huffington Post reported at the time, Gowdy's interrogation of me "seemed to lack the basic facts" about the agency he was attempting to oversee. I'd like you to read their reporting on one of these exchanges just so you know what this Benghazi "investigation" is likely to look like:

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) grilled Warren on whether the bureau would make public the complaints it gets. She answered that the complaint issue was a work in progress, but that at the very least, there was progress in creating a system for large credit card companies.

"Are any of the complaints public?" Gowdy demanded.

"Congressman, we don't have any complaints yet," Warren said of the still-nascent agency. "What we're trying to do is build the system."

Gowdy also seemed to think that Warren had written the Dodd-Frank law, and he was determined to know what Warren meant by defining "abusive" practices as something that "materially interferes" with the ability of a consumer to understand a term or a condition.

"That suggests to me that some interferences are immaterial. Is that what you meant by that?" he asked a momentarily perplexed-looking Warren.

"Congressman, I believe the language you are quoting is out of the Dodd-Frank act," she said. "This is the language that Congress has adopted."

Still, Gowdy insisted on her answer, although the definitions and regulations required by the law are still being written.

As a Senator, I take oversight seriously because it is powerfully important. But Trey Gowdy gives oversight a bad name. The House GOP is on a waste-of-time-and-resources witch hunt and fundraising sideshow, shamefully grasping for any straw to make President Obama, former Secretary Clinton, or Secretary Kerry look bad. This stunt does a disservice to those who serve our country abroad, and it distracts us from issues we should be taking up on behalf of the American people.

With millions of people still out of work and millions more working full time yet still living below the poverty line, with students drowning in debt, with roads and bridges crumbling, is this really what the House Republicans are choosing to spend their time on? Even for guys who have so few solutions to offer that they have voted 54 times to repeal Obamacare, this is a new low.

House Republicans are doing whatever they can to distract the American people from what's really going on in Washington – a rigged system that works great for those who have armies of lobbyists and lawyers but that leaves everyone else behind. A system in which Republicans protect tax breaks for billionaires while they block increases in the minimum wage for millions of people who work full time and live in poverty. A system in which Republicans give away billions of dollars in subsidies to Big Oil while making billions in profits off of our kids' student loans.

It's wrong, and it's shameful.

Thank you,

Elizabeth
goose

Hopkins, MN

#2 May 10, 2014
Ms. Warren is trying to deflect (durprise, surprise).
Answer the questions! We need to know what really motivated the response (or lack of!) in Benghazi!

Since: Apr 12

St. Paul, MN

#3 May 10, 2014
Because Republicans are so worried about the loss of 4 American lives?

What about the loss of THOUSANDS of American lives in Iraq over a REPUBLICAN intelligence failure? Or the loss of THOUSANDS of American over another REPUBLICAN intelligence failure? Or the loss of THOUSANDS of American lives over the failure of REPUBLICANS to expand Medicaid?

Benghazi has already been investigated SEVEN times. This is TOTALLY politically motivated.
or maybe

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 10, 2014
<yawn> more fake outrage from the 1/32 Indigenous American. Funny. This is coming from the same nit wit who solicited campaign contributions on this very blog that ranted about how the republicans are pursuing Benghazi only for political gain.

http://twitchy.com/2014/05/09/yikes-hypocrisy...

Oh, and Ms. 1/32 Indigenous American also failed to mention that several dummycrats voted for this investigation as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/08/ho...

Finally, once again, this liar is proving what hypocrites those on the left really are. She can rant and rave and accuse and lie about repubs politicizing an event, and that's baaaaaaad. Yet it's OK for someone, such as herself, to lie, cheat, scheme for their own self-interest and political gain (Obama, Hillary, Susan Rice, etc), and somehow that's completely OK.
Capt Crunch

Sedona, AZ

#5 May 10, 2014
Is this the same Elizabeth Warren who proclaimed herself to be a Cherokee Indian?

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 10, 2014
Capt Crunch wrote:
Is this the same Elizabeth Warren who proclaimed herself to be a Cherokee Indian?
Yep.
And some of the folks of that Native American Nation is NOT happy to say the least that she is claiming ancestry among them.
http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/09/cherokee... Cherokee genealogist Twila Barnes, whose group of researchers has done more than anyone to document Elizabeth Warren’s false claims to be Cherokee, was incensed at Warren’s continued insistence that she is Native American
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2... Elizabeth Warren is not a citizen of the Cherokee Nation.
Elizabeth Warren is not enrolled in the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.
And Elizabeth Warren is not one of the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee.
Nor could she become one, even if she wanted to.
Further, to enroll as a member of the Cherokee Nation, an individual must have had a direct ancestor listed among the more than 101,000 people enrolled on the "Final Rolls of the Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory" between 1898-1914, now known as the Dawes Rolls.
No direct-line relatives of Warren are listed on the Dawes Rolls, according to Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak (the doubled name is not a typo), the independent genealogist who identified Michelle Obama's slave ancestors in 2009 in a project with The New York Times.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#7 May 10, 2014
griddy wrote:
Because Republicans are so worried about the loss of 4 American lives?
What about the loss of THOUSANDS of American lives in Iraq over a REPUBLICAN intelligence failure? Or the loss of THOUSANDS of American over another REPUBLICAN intelligence failure? Or the loss of THOUSANDS of American lives over the failure of REPUBLICANS to expand Medicaid?
Benghazi has already been investigated SEVEN times. This is TOTALLY politically motivated.
I agree with you 100 percent Benghazi is now the only talking point that the republicans have left,hannity even had the gall to march one of our hero's mother out on his show before while the body of her son was still warm,and their body's arrive at Dover A.F.base not one republican was their to salute them or honor them during TAPS,but President Obama and Vice President Biden along with sec.clinton was right their.
One more thing griddy the republicans are failing to even mention what the CIA director was doing besides his job to have had the intel,they have given Dir.Petreous a free ride,and we know that was his respondibllity ,but he was to busy playing whoseee puzzyee with his E-mails on that 911 day.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 10, 2014
Capt Crunch wrote:
liar she said that she had some Cherokee Indian in her family blood line.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 10, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
And some of the folks of that Native American Nation is NOT happy to say the least that she is claiming ancestry among them.
http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/09/cherokee... Cherokee genealogist Twila Barnes, whose group of researchers has done more than anyone to document Elizabeth Warren’s false claims to be Cherokee, was incensed at Warren’s continued insistence that she is Native American
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2... Elizabeth Warren is not a citizen of the Cherokee Nation.
Elizabeth Warren is not enrolled in the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.
And Elizabeth Warren is not one of the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee.
Nor could she become one, even if she wanted to.
Further, to enroll as a member of the Cherokee Nation, an individual must have had a direct ancestor listed among the more than 101,000 people enrolled on the "Final Rolls of the Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory" between 1898-1914, now known as the Dawes Rolls.
No direct-line relatives of Warren are listed on the Dawes Rolls, according to Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak (the doubled name is not a typo), the independent genealogist who identified Michelle Obama's slave ancestors in 2009 in a project with The New York Times.
Michelle Obama was a Robinson and her slave ancestors is the easiest to trace back,the black Robinsons name to blacks are like what Smith's is to whites and it was professor Louis Gates who did the genealogist research on Michelle Obama slave ancestors,not some Smolenyak.
Also Sang Dr.Louis Gates is the founder of Ancestory .com,he was also the Harvard prodessor who got arrested for breaking into his own house and President Obama,VP Joe Biden,along with the Cambridge police department had to make a apology too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicago 38 min Not so 9
Every year since 2002, Minnesota has been losin... 1 hr FOVR 11
News Woman Shot By Robbinsdale Officer Charged With ... 4 hr Tar Zan of the Congo 28
NHL playoffs!!! 13 hr Muttin 13
America Deserves Hillary Clinton 19 hr FOVR 15
Scott Pelley Sat FOVR 11
America doesn't need Hillary Clinton!!!! Sat pic pine treez 1
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]