FBI Considered "It's A Wonderful Life" Communist Propaganda

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

DSM Loco

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 13, 2013
I love It's a Wonderful Life because it teaches us that family, friendship, and virtue are the true definitions of wealth.

In 1947, however, the FBI considered this anti-consumerist message as subversive Communist propaganda (read original FBI memo).

According to Professor John Noakes of Franklin and Marshall College, the FBI thought Life smeared American values such as wealth and free enterprise while glorifying anti-American values such as the triumph of the common man.(See also: Occupy Wall Street, the 99%, and All That)

The FBI specifically detested the way Mr. Potter was portrayed:

The casting of Lionel Barrymore as a "scrooge-type" resulted in the loathsome Mr. Potter becoming the most hated person in the film. According to the official FBI report, "this was a common trick used by the communists."

"What's interesting in the FBI critique is that the Baileys were also bankers," said Noakes. " and what is really going on is a struggle between the big-city banker (Potter) and the small banker (the Baileys). Capra was clearly on side of small capitalism and the FBI was on the side of big capitalism.

The FBI misinterpreted this classic struggle as communist propaganda. I would argue that 'It's a Wonderful Life' is a poignant movie about the transition in the U.S. between small and big capitalism, with Jimmy Stewart personifying the last hope for a small town. It's a lot like the battle between Home Depot and the mom and pop hardware store." Source: Franklin and Marshall College and Delilah Boyd

As you can imagine, Life is more than just a Christmas movie for us here at Wise Bread. Heck, George Bailey's life story is practically the blueprint for our mission statement!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 12 min scirocco 33,479
2 cops dead THANKS LIBERALS! 6 hr Space ace 5
Dirty chat male to female 18 plus 15 hr Space ace 4
St. Anthony, Minnesota to Pay $200,000 to Settl... 18 hr Sunshine 2
Mall of America Protest 19 hr cowboy chris 17
Veteran Freed From MSP VA Dental Dept Phone Abu... 21 hr American_Sons 14
Walker Wins Unions Lose (May '12) Fri LIbEralS 29
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web