High-speed Chicago-to-St. Paul rail line gets first federal gra...

Full story: TwinCities.com

A high-speed rail line between the St. Paul and Chicago moved one step closer to reality Thursday when the White House said it would provide seed money for the long-sought line.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of113
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
NobeLOL

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

For leisure travel, the Amtrak train to Chicago is relaxing and enjoyable. It's totally inefficient for business, though. It seems like a waste of billions of tax dollars. Oh, well. Surely China will be happy to loan the money to us. Your grand children and great grandchildren will be happy to pay it back.
SLW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

What is the payback on this project?
MN Observer

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
Unless these high speed trains have their own dedicated tracks, their speed will be dictated by what are freight use tracks, just like Amtrak is now.
High speed rail should be reserved only for major population area destinations. The Twin Cities is not a major population area. You can fly to Midway in 45 minutes. Why would anyone use high speed rail between her and Chicago? Prove to me and others that it will get you into the Chicago station within an hour of departing the Twin Cities and then maybe we can talk. And for $50 each way or less. Southwest will fly me to Chicago on a Saturday for $45 and return for $75.
It's a giant waste of money for this area.
Of course they have their own, dedicated tracks. That's why they have to build them. How did you miss this?
monroe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Thats great wrote:
Thats great, yay!
Now all of the criminals and welfare seekers in Chi town can come here and get here FAST!
Then they can go "home" on the weekends with their cash!
How about just stop giving them a REASON to come here. As long as we keep throwing welfare and EBT cards at them...they'll keep coming here.
Whats the whole story

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Old Timer;
Please read the whole news story. The $600,000 is for a grade and route feasibility study as to where the high speed rail[HSR] will traverse. There are three basic options available. If the best route chosen can be upgraded and/or modernized then the HSR could conceivably make the MSP to CHI run in 4-5 hours!
At the present time, to go to Chicago via air takes just about the same time when you consider or factor the following:[on a good day]
1) Drive time to the airport.[30-45 minutes average]
2) Parking at MSP or Arrival at [ORD/MDW] terminals.[15-30 minutes]
3] Check-in & Security.[30-90 minutes]
4] Flight time {no delays} from take-off to landing.[75-120 minutes]
5] Arrival, baggage{if any}, terminal departure [30-45 minutes]
6] Depart Airport(s) and arrive destination.[45-90 minutes]
Total time from start to finish of your air journey to Chicago is best 4-1/2 hours to at worst{on a good day} 7 hours!
With HSR, start to finish, home-train-destination, your journey could take 5-6 hours average on a good day with a high speed route[limited hsr stops]. From downtown to downtown in a no-stress relaxed environment, eating facilities and amenities, and comfort. In most cases, your luggage travels in the same rail car as you do and porter service can help you to the terminal if need be.
Why fly the crowded skies when you can ride in comfort on a train?
I read the story and I didn't see where the estimated time for the train ride included all of the things you mentioned for the planes. Unless you live at the train station, your drive time, parking, security,depart time to your destination would all be about the same time frames. You didn't really compare apples to apples.
War on Government

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Whats the whole story wrote:
Old Timer;
Please read the whole news story. The $600,000 is for a grade and route feasibility study as to where the high speed rail[HSR] will traverse. There are three basic options available. If the best route chosen can be upgraded and/or modernized then the HSR could conceivably make the MSP to CHI run in 4-5 hours!
At the present time, to go to Chicago via air takes just about the same time when you consider or factor the following:[on a good day]
1) Drive time to the airport.[30-45 minutes average]
2) Parking at MSP or Arrival at [ORD/MDW] terminals.[15-30 minutes]
3] Check-in & Security.[30-90 minutes]
4] Flight time {no delays} from take-off to landing.[75-120 minutes]
5] Arrival, baggage{if any}, terminal departure [30-45 minutes]
6] Depart Airport(s) and arrive destination.[45-90 minutes]
Total time from start to finish of your air journey to Chicago is best 4-1/2 hours to at worst{on a good day} 7 hours!
With HSR, start to finish, home-train-destination, your journey could take 5-6 hours average on a good day with a high speed route[limited hsr stops]. From downtown to downtown in a no-stress relaxed environment, eating facilities and amenities, and comfort. In most cases, your luggage travels in the same rail car as you do and porter service can help you to the terminal if need be.
Why fly the crowded skies when you can ride in comfort on a train?
I read the story and I didn't see where the estimated time for the train ride included all of the things you mentioned for the planes. Unless you live at the train station, your drive time, parking, security,depart time to your destination would all be about the same time frames. You didn't really compare apples to apples.
You are not comparing apples to apples either pal. Most of us do not live in the downtown area so while you calculate time for drive time to the airport, parking and checkin time for air travel you neglect to include commute time to the downtown area, possible parking expense or bus fare to downtown and the time involved with that, and checkin time at the rail station. 75-120 minutes to fly to Chicago??? what type of plane are you flying? Then there is the issue of the cost. A flight to Chicago can be had for about $60. How much will the fare on the train be? How much additioanl taxpayer funds will be required to subsidize the ticket price? how much taxpayer money will be needed to maintain the rail lines and infrastructure of this pig, how many gas tax dollars will be diverted from highways to this pig? Once this pig is built and operational we will be on the hook for ongoing expense and I'm sure Unionized government worker wages and pensions forever. Its a bad idea that needs to be put to death.
Joe Stebo

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

"It is expected to generate 15,000 construction jobs and 58,000 permanent jobs. " Where can I find a list of these jobs? 58,000 permanent jobs?
Ghost Writer

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

To: Whats the whole story;
If you have been following this HSR, high speed rail, story from its inception over the past few months you could see what I was alluding with my times. Allowing for drive, parking, or transit times to and from the stations; security checks and check-ins, boarding and departure times; and, the actual rail travel time the actual journey is the same as flying. Possibly shorter. ALSO, you arrive less ruffled or harried in a central downtown depot.

With all the comparable variables taken into account I did compare "apples-to-apples"!
Ghost Writer
Cybear

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Yet another boondoggle. When will this nonsense END??????
Looking in

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Quite the trend in comments.
Indie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Well good. It's not like we're in debt or anything. Great idea to spend billions to replace something that already exists! Hmmm I wonder why we're broke?
O RLY

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Tim wrote:
What is the value proposition behind a 6 hour train ride to Chicago? It's barely faster than taking a car. It's too long to be a commuter line. You'll get to downtown Chicago, but have no transportation to the suburbs where all the corporate HQs have relocated. And how does it create 58,000 permanent jobs? It probably required some investigative journalism to find out so of course this article failed to mention it.(Great story, Dave!)
Guess there are a lot of eco-hippies with revoked drivers licenses anxious to put their hands in my pocket so they can go stare at The Bean in Millennium Park. Sorry, this bank is closed.
You've never been to the main station in downtown Chicago. You can easily catch a train or L from the loop to anywhere in the burbs and be there in minutes. Not too long ago, I took a train to Chicago, then caught a connection to Bolingbrook, and then got a car ride a mile to my destination (but I could have walked or bussed). Chicago has an excellent mass transit system, and you can go almost anywhere without taking a car.
Clint

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Years ago I worked with a gal who loved trains.

We got a job in Delaware and I flew down and she "Trained" it. 2 days later she showed up and guess what, she flew home!

AMTRACK failed, deal with it.

Liberals are implementing trains because they can, NOT because it's smart!

In fact it's REAL DUMB!

IMHO IF government wants to promote something it should get behind high speed internet and virtual meetings should replace people traveling all over.

Take a billion or 2 and build an artificial beach at the Mall of America. Then if people wanted to spend a day the beach they could make a local trip to the MOA.

The artificial beach would be under an artificial sun that would NOT trigger skin cancer AND the water would not be salt water.
Realist in Minneapolis

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

There is a HUGE reason why Minnesota got the smallest grant out of the Federal Railroad Administrations bank, given out by President Obama on Thursday...we didn't have a plan!!! The DOT just had a report with statistics, ideas, dreams, potentials, all kinds of superficial stuff! The FED required a complete engineering plan with specifications and a definite route! We had none of it! In fact the $600,000 we got was just a piece of candy thrown at little isolated Minnesota by the FED's just to let us know we are out there; somewhere in the country! That $8 billion is SPENT, there is no more Minnesotan's! We got the chump change cause our public elected officials here don't really know what high-speed rail is! We also are very poor planners in Minnesota. Hey; the governor really doesn't want this train anyway! Or else he would have lead the charge for it! Minnesota DOT; spend that $600,000 very smartly, as there isn't going to be anymore for this state!
monet

Peoria, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Clint wrote:
Years ago I worked with a gal who loved trains.
We got a job in Delaware and I flew down and she "Trained" it. 2 days later she showed up and guess what, she flew home!
AMTRACK failed, deal with it.
Liberals are implementing trains because they can, NOT because it's smart!
In fact it's REAL DUMB!
IMHO IF government wants to promote something it should get behind high speed internet and virtual meetings should replace people traveling all over.
Take a billion or 2 and build an artificial beach at the Mall of America. Then if people wanted to spend a day the beach they could make a local trip to the MOA.
The artificial beach would be under an artificial sun that would NOT trigger skin cancer AND the water would not be salt water.
This has nothing to do with speed of travel. It is designed to releive the overpopulation problems of Gary, Indiana. Look for a huge tax increase to support an even larger welfare budget.
Ryan in Saint Paul

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Anyone see the "Monorail" episode of The Simpsons?

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Clint wrote:
...IMHO IF government wants to promote something it should get behind high speed internet and virtual meetings should replace people traveling all over.
Seriously, an indoor water park at the mall in lieu of travel to tropical locales?? You've got to be freaking kidding me. As if I would want to subject myself to kid hell.

Now if it were a topless beach...
Keep_On_Spendin

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Cybear wrote:
Yet another boondoggle. When will this nonsense END??????
It doesn't. They. Are. Clueless.

READ:

Taxpayers pay $101,000 for Pelosi's in-flight 'food, booze'
Speaker's trips 'are more about partying than anything else'
Posted: January 29, 2010
12:20 am Eastern
By Bob Unruh
2010 WorldNetDaily

http://www.wnd.com/index.php...
Clint

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

1 Billion for a kids beach!

500 million for an adults beach, with clothing, NO KIDS.

500 million for a clothing optional beach, NO KIDS.

Would you still want to go to Mexico?

I have visited the French Riviera and the topless aspect is nice except most of the topless you don't want to look at. there are exceptions.

sock wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, an indoor water park at the mall in lieu of travel to tropical locales?? You've got to be freaking kidding me. As if I would want to subject myself to kid hell.
Now if it were a topless beach...
Custom Cal

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

This criminal debt to be paid for wasteful spending will be passed on to several generations. It will be staggering debt plus interest.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of113
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 52 min Mothra 30,034
Anti-Gay 1 hr Joe Balls 14
The Reverend Jesse Jackson visits Bainport (Oct '12) 2 hr Capt Crunch 6
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 4 hr redeemer 25,983
Muslim drivers refuse to work over Gay Games ad 4 hr redeemer 21
Obama Victory - US freeing Iran funds as Tehran... 4 hr redeemer 21
the NON affordable care act (Oct '13) 6 hr Dead Wolf Expert Here 214
•••
•••