It wasn't the union that killed the Twinkie. It was vulture capitalism.

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Nov 17, 2012
Schmahl Spew

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Before you go blaming the union for Hostess' demise, look at the facts.

In 1995 a company called International Bakeries, which was essentially a vulture capital arm of a computer company called Data Processing Financial and General Corporation, went on a massive spending spree. They not only bought Hostess but the San Francisco French Bread Company, John J. Nissen Baking Company, Drake's, My Bread Company, and tons of other companies.

They did this by borrowing like batshit crazy and eventually defaulted on their loans, leading to bankruptcy in 2004.

In 2009 they emerged from bankruptcy by BORROWING MORE FUCKING MONEY. They borrowed from Ripplewood Holdings, Silver Point, Monarch, and GE Capital. All these loans caused more payments and more interest accruing, leading to more and more debt. It was this debt that caused their collapse.

If it hadn't been for easy credit, merger mania, leveraged buyouts, and greedy conglomerates whose philosophy was "if you can't beat them buy them out," then all the little brands (including Hostess) that this group of predators bought with borrowed money might still be small and innovative enough to survive financial hard times with little or no debt of their own.

So always remember: it wasn't the unions that killed the Twinkie, it was the modern vulture capitalist culture.
Capt Crunch

Sedona, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Schmahl Spew wrote:
Before you go blaming the union for Hostess' demise, look at the facts.
In 1995 a company called International Bakeries, which was essentially a vulture capital arm of a computer company called Data Processing Financial and General Corporation, went on a massive spending spree. They not only bought Hostess but the San Francisco French Bread Company, John J. Nissen Baking Company, Drake's, My Bread Company, and tons of other companies.
They did this by borrowing like batshit crazy and eventually defaulted on their loans, leading to bankruptcy in 2004.
In 2009 they emerged from bankruptcy by BORROWING MORE FUCKING MONEY. They borrowed from Ripplewood Holdings, Silver Point, Monarch, and GE Capital. All these loans caused more payments and more interest accruing, leading to more and more debt. It was this debt that caused their collapse.
If it hadn't been for easy credit, merger mania, leveraged buyouts, and greedy conglomerates whose philosophy was "if you can't beat them buy them out," then all the little brands (including Hostess) that this group of predators bought with borrowed money might still be small and innovative enough to survive financial hard times with little or no debt of their own.
So always remember: it wasn't the unions that killed the Twinkie, it was the modern vulture capitalist culture.
Save this cut and paste entry, it will be the template for many more to follow as major companies fold under ther combined sfforts of the unions as supported by Obamas America destroying policies, Of course the many small busnesses that fail will not even be mentioned, but when thje tiomes become really unbearably bad, then will come the diors, and only Obamas troops will beable to gaoin peace and enforce martial law under the then Dictator, The Messiah.

“We have 545 traitors.”

Since: May 11

Parts Unknown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

I hope you understand that everyone is skeptical of any 'facts' you post without a credible source.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

I hope you understand, you lost the last election talking to chairs and listening to Faux Snooze.. LMAOROFU~!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Minneapolis News, Events & Info