Minnesota Gophers paying for their lo...

Minnesota Gophers paying for their losses of point guard players and recruits

There are 8 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 25, 2011, titled Minnesota Gophers paying for their losses of point guard players and recruits. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Big guys, Tubby Smith has plenty of them. Point guards, Smith has none. "And to have success in college basketball, you have to have a quality point guard," Big Ten Network analyst and former Ohio State All-American Jim Jackson said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Hmmm

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 25, 2011
I think that call that "karma."
Keep the Locals

New Ulm, MN

#2 Feb 26, 2011
I'm starting to feel that Tubby is getting a free pass based on reputation. He may need to change a little bit to be more successful. It concerns me that guys are leaving the program... kids he recruited. I realize it is a crapshoot, but he needs to focus on landing all the top Minnesota kids because they are less likely to bolt at the drop of a hat. Minnesota kids can compete as the Gophers have proven, but Minnesota has a history of recruiting "bigs" from Minnesota and "sharpshooters", but it's time for Tubby to start keeping the best point guards in the state. This isn't a new thing to the U, they have throughout history recruited Minnesota post players and shooting guards, going back as far as I can remember. There are a lot of great basketball players in Minnesota, and we can't afford to have them playing on rosters outside our state's borders.

Since: Feb 08

Rochester, MN

#3 Feb 26, 2011
It's a pretty big stretch to say Smith has plenty of big men. Who? We've got Mbakwe who plays inside, Iverson who can't score if his life depended on it, and Sampson who is much more comfortable wandering around 15 feet from the basket. Sounds like we have no point guards, maybe one inside threat, and no one besides Blake who can hit a jumper consistebtly. The cupboard appears to be a little bare. Hope the guys coming in next year can step right in.
vincent l

Eden Prairie, MN

#4 Feb 26, 2011
Saul Smith is going to coach them up? Ha! Gopher BB is a joke just like the football program
vincent l

Eden Prairie, MN

#5 Feb 26, 2011
Keep the Locals wrote:
I'm starting to feel that Tubby is getting a free pass based on reputation. He may need to change a little bit to be more successful. It concerns me that guys are leaving the program... kids he recruited. I realize it is a crapshoot, but he needs to focus on landing all the top Minnesota kids because they are less likely to bolt at the drop of a hat. Minnesota kids can compete as the Gophers have proven, but Minnesota has a history of recruiting "bigs" from Minnesota and "sharpshooters", but it's time for Tubby to start keeping the best point guards in the state. This isn't a new thing to the U, they have throughout history recruited Minnesota post players and shooting guards, going back as far as I can remember. There are a lot of great basketball players in Minnesota, and we can't afford to have them playing on rosters outside our state's borders.
What took you so long??. KY fans warned us about Tubby's recruiting and pathetic offense four years ago. Tubby is a media creation and a major bust
Bury Maturi

Davenport, IA

#6 Feb 26, 2011
1.8 million a year and no top recruits since he was hired. No 5 star recruit.... Absolutely no clue what offense he has installed and yet he gets no heat in this town. Matt friggen Painter puts together top 10 teams each year, gets top 10 talent to come MF Purdue and and continues to win after losing HIS TOP PLAYER TWO YEARS IN A ROW and we can't ONE F-ing point guard????????? Affirmative action at its best!!!!!!
Hazen

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 26, 2011
Bury Maturi wrote:
1.8 million a year and no top recruits since he was hired. No 5 star recruit.... Absolutely no clue what offense he has installed and yet he gets no heat in this town. Matt friggen Painter puts together top 10 teams each year, gets top 10 talent to come MF Purdue and and continues to win after losing HIS TOP PLAYER TWO YEARS IN A ROW and we can't ONE **** point guard????????? Affirmative action at its best!!!!!!
The Affirmative Action crack is really not called for, but the point is valid in that Smith's recruiting has not been what is expected since he came to the Gophers. Considering the high expectations, he has the program struggling to get to the Big Dance for the third year in a row. This is not what fans were expecting.
The Loon

Lindstrom, MN

#8 Feb 26, 2011
How do those "top recruits" turn out? How did Royce White turn out?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama's America 1 hr space ace 91
shoot me 3 hr cowboy chris 2
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 5 hr IB DaMann 35,529
spinning ball of scum 15 hr NOI 1
i might start drinking 17 hr Jack Jim 2
Right now!!!!!!! Tue space ace 3
Orlando Jun 27 OK Barry 40

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages