Delusions of Libertarian Populism

Delusions of Libertarian Populism

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

real space ace

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 12, 2013
Have you heard about “libertarian populism” yet? If not, you will. It will surely be touted all over the airwaves and the opinion pages by the same kind of people who assured you, a few years ago, that Representative Paul Ryan was the very model of a Serious, Honest Conservative. So let me make a helpful public service announcement: It’s bunk.

Some background: These are tough times for members of the conservative intelligentsia — those denizens of think tanks and opinion pages who dream of Republicans once again becoming “the party of ideas.”(Whether they ever were that party is another question.)

For a while, they thought they had found their wonk hero in the person of Mr. Ryan. But the famous Ryan plan turned out to be crude smoke and mirrors, and I suspect that even conservatives privately realize that its author is more huckster than visionary. So what’s the next big idea?

Enter libertarian populism. The idea here is that there exists a pool of disaffected working-class white voters who failed to turn out last year but can be mobilized again with the right kind of conservative economic program — and that this remobilization can restore the Republican Party’s electoral fortunes.

You can see why many on the right find this idea appealing. It suggests that Republicans can regain their former glory without changing much of anything — no need to reach out to nonwhite voters, no need to reconsider their economic ideology. You might also think that this sounds too good to be true — and you’d be right. The notion of libertarian populism is delusional on at least two levels.
P C Free Zone

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jul 12, 2013
You lost me at "the same kind of people."
When you generalize like that you are being a bigot!

West Des Moines, IA

#5 Jul 12, 2013
libertarian are secret rethuglican nazi's trying to get good people democrats to vote for them

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jul 16, 2013
Consistent on Welfare wrote:
I have more integrity in my little finger that you will ever have in your sodden hate-filled body.
No you don't. You are nothing more than a cowardly, lying, little name jacker. Keep telling yourself you are schmart. But the rest of the world is laughing at your ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 15 min litesong 34,967
Rape Jihad coming to Minnesota ? 19 min FOVR 4
News Four men charged in shooting of Minnesota prote... 1 hr Le Jimbo 6
this is bad 2 hr FOVR 3
What will happen if UnitedHealth pulls out of t... 9 hr UncleSam 9
smegma 12 hr space ace 5
Thanksgiving Day 16 hr FOVR 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages