Since: Jun 13

Land of Liberty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Youíre cruising at an easy 80 mph on the highway, and you donít have much longer before you get to your destination. Youíre feeling great ó since the speed limit is 75 mph, youíll be able to get to your destination in less than two hours! But hold that thought. You just passed a speed limit sign of 65 mph, and now you have to slow down because you donít want to get a speeding ticket. That blows.

All states should increase the highway speed limits to at least 70 mph or higher.

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, there are currently 35 states in the U.S. that have speed limits of 70 mph or higher on rural interstates. In Texas, State Highway 130 has a speed limit of 85 mph; thatís almost pushing it, but still so much better than say, 65 mph.

The majority of the New England area has a maximum speed limit of 65 mph across its highways, while most of the southeast is sitting at 70 mph. A speed limit of 75 mph is acceptable, and Oklahoma thankfully falls in that category. Our state joins the North and Southwest states, but I think we could even increase it to 80 mph.

85 mph is asking for more accidents to occur, but 80 mph is not unreasonable. If we increase our state interstate speed limit to 80 mph, and if we can get a national highway speed limit set to 70 mph or higher in all states, driving wouldnít be as much of a pain. With the allowance of driving faster, you are hardly altering the number of miles you get to the gallon, and youíll get to your destination faster.

The side affects, if you will, of increasing the speed limits across the nation come with potentially costly results. Iím not just talking about money. Studies like this one suggests that the increase in speed limits spikes a significant increase in road fatalities. I can see that possibly being a case, because we have so many irresponsible drivers that already drink and drive, text while driving or simply arenít decent drivers.

Those types of drivers donít belong on roads in the first place. I donít think itís fair to keep speed limits as low as 65 or 70 mph just because of them; there are so many responsible drivers out there who shouldnít have to endure the slower speed limits so we can fan the reckless drivers.

And just remember: youíre never required to drive as fast as the speed limit says; you can drive below it if you donít feel comfortable driving that fast. Just stay in the right lane. If youíre concerned about other drivers being a hazard on the road, maybe requiring driverís education classes every 10 years would be a good counterbalance. Though Iíd personally rather not go through that.

If we all try to drive a little more safely, a local and national speed limit increase could be beneficial. While the U.S. sets its speed limits to an average speed between 55-70 mph, other countries like Italy and Germany have speed limits set over 80 mph. If their roads and drivers can function with that limit, so can we. Letís catch up to them.

http://oudaily.com/news/2013/jun/04/speed_lim...

“GiveMe Liberty or GiveMe Death”

Land of Liberty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

I go faster than 110mph every day on the way to work..... The cops also know I'm packing a sh t load of guns, ammo, & explosives......
-I fight every ticket & I even had a cop lower a ticket to 75 in 60 from 95(I was doing 150 and even slamming my breaks he still "got" me) & guess what I took it to court and still walked away!!!! Ha!

9th amendment right to travel, enjoy it:)
Bushwhacker

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Blathering.......

“GiveMe Liberty or GiveMe Death”

Land of Liberty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Bushwhacker wrote:
Blathering.......
I feel dumber for reading your post

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The 1% Should Pay Their Fair Share in Taxes 23 min redeemer 12
Will Michelle DUMP Barak 34 min Judy 19
CBO Estimates U.S. Deficit Will Shrink More Tha... 44 min redeemer 3
Obamacare Sign-Ups Hit 8 Million in Remarkable ... 48 min redeemer 4
Koch Brothers Net Worth Tops $100 Billion as TV... 55 min redeemer 5
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr blahblah123 25,963
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr Trigger 29,878
•••
•••
•••
Minneapolis Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
•••
•••