Review: Pet Central Animal Hospital - Philip L Nelson DVM

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

MLS

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Dec 26, 2008
This is the worst "vet" I have ever been to. When I took my dog there in May, she was treated like a dog that was boarding rather than a patient. By this I mean their main concern was to give her food and water in a cage, rather than medicine and a diagnosis. Even as she was struggling to walk and breathe, I was told I didn't have anything to worry about. In fact, Mr. Nelson didn't even examine her until I demanded it. Isn't a vet supposed to heal and help animals? Exams are what medical doctors do to find out what is wrong with their patients. This was definitely not what happened when we were there. I left her there two nights, and that was the worst decision I have ever made. After finding out about the University of Minnesota by searching the internet, I took her there where she died the next day. The fact that Pet Central did not treat my dog's condition as serious and life-threatening continues to be incredibly disturbing for me. It was also disturbing that they did not recommend for me to take her to the University. In fact, they didn't recommend anything but keeping her at Pet Central for more of the same neglect. I will never get those three days back with my dog, and my major regret was that I took her to a vet who could have cared less about helping her get better. If there is anyone else out there with a similar experience, be sure to file a complaint with the Minnesota Board of Veterinary Medicine. I do not want anyone else to go through the agony and pain that my dog experienced when in the "care" of these people.
Andy

United States

#2 Dec 26, 2008
I don't buy your version.
Pet lover

Maple Grove, MN

#3 Mar 15, 2009
I don't believe it, there's nothing on the Board website indicating action having taken place, which likely means they did nothing wrong. Dr. Nelson and his staff has always taken care of my pets, even after hours and are more than ready to calm my anxiety when they're ill. I will always go back to Pet Central and would recommend them to my friends, family, and anybody else who asks.
Joni

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jul 2, 2009
Apparently you haven't been faced with a Surgery or a very ill pet. Pet Central is not as great on the difficult task of diagnosing and treating (surgery, etc) then you think. Simple tasks like Pet checks, shots, grooming etc yes they are good at. But when it comes down to a little more complications - then yes it is an issue. I personally have a complaint in the works with the Minnesota Veterinarians Association, filed a complaint with BBB (Better Business Bureau), next in line will be with the Atty Generals office, then next will be Small Claims Court. Unfortunately when you loose a pet wrongfully in Minnnesta it is considered property...When you have lost a Pet wrongfully then you are in the position to understand. I believe that a warning to all about the practices of Pet Central as being a "hospital" should be taken off their name. As per Nelson - they do not have the equipment like the University.
Tom

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jun 10, 2010
My cat, Nick had a bad sore on his head. I took him to a vet at a pet supply store and was told they could give him a shot or do a test, neither of which would necessarily help. I was given the opportunity to make a choice based on price. They gave no medical advice. They were marketers not veterinarians. I went to Dr Phil and he told me what was wrong, gave me suggestions and helped my cat become healthy again.
Some time later when Nick developed a tumor in his lung Dr Nelson removed fluid from his lungs to help him breathe again. He warned me that the problem would persist and that I had little time left with my furry friend. A second similar visit bought me more time though I knew Nick had little time left. Dr Nelson helped give Nick more than two months longer to live allowing me to say good bye to my best friend. Though I was sad at the end I was glad I brought Nick to Dr Phil instead of those quacks at the pet supply store. I was able to spend the holidays with Nick instead of burying him at Christmas time.
I wouldn't take a pet to any other vet, ever. Dr Nelson is knowledgeable and experienced. While some may find Dr Nelson blunt, I find it refreshing that he doesn't sugar coat his diagnosis and tells it like it is. I don't want to be given false hope, I want the facts and Dr Nelson gives the facts. If you are looking for a vet that you can trust then Dr Nelson is who you should see. Stay away from the "book smart" vets with little experience. Go to Pet Central instead.
Catitude

Byron, MN

#7 Jun 22, 2012
Ive known Dr Nelson and his manager Amy for 23 years. I trust Phil Nelson with every pet I've owned for 23 years and I drive over an hour 1 way just to see him. He isn't a charmer or very social and chatty but he KNOWS his animal cares. There's always going to be whiners and usually because they work at another clinic and want to make him look bad. He's been doing this for over 30 years....why should he take 15 minutes to examine a sick pet when he can diagnose the issue in 2? The man knows his sh*t!! Don't read and rely on all this negative bs...it's more than likely other techs or vets or staff from the clinic down the road. Seriously.
wary

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Sep 27, 2012
Has anyone ever had their pet go thru surgery here our had their pets ear cropped? Pictures?
ear crop no

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

#9 Jan 13, 2013
wary wrote:
Has anyone ever had their pet go thru surgery here our had their pets ear cropped? Pictures?
ear cropping is cruel. please don't subject your pet to that barbaric treatment.
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#10 Jan 13, 2013
ear crop no wrote:
<quoted text>
ear cropping is cruel. please don't subject your pet to that barbaric treatment.
Sounds like something a Jigger would do.
Stinky

Mesquite, NV

#11 Jan 17, 2013
Sounds like something CRASSUS would do as a jerk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicago 40 min Tar Zan of Chi Town 6
News Woman Shot By Robbinsdale Officer Charged With ... 1 hr Tar Zan of the Congo 28
Every year since 2002, Minnesota has been losin... 5 hr Not so 10
NHL playoffs!!! 10 hr Muttin 13
America Deserves Hillary Clinton 16 hr FOVR 15
Scott Pelley 21 hr FOVR 11
America doesn't need Hillary Clinton!!!! Sat pic pine treez 1
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]