“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#1 Jan 10, 2014
50 years have passed since Lyndon Johnson's declaration of war on poverty with his Great Society programs.

So far we have spent over $20 billion on this battle. Are we winning the war? Absolutely not.

NOTE: The current US debt is $17 Billion and it is commonly said that it will take generations of a robust economy to erase that debt.

"In 2009, the U.S. shelled out $8,713 in government social spending per resident, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140108/O...

5 years ago, the most current accurate figure, we spent $9K per resident in the US. Since that time Barack Hussein Obama has ratcheted up welfare spending at rates never before seen in this country.

The game plan of the Democrats is to buy power and voter support by building dependency on the government to the point that if you vote for someone other than a Democrat, you will be taking food off your table.

How is that working out for everyone?

Official unemployment rates are still hovering near 8%. If you were to factor in those that have left the job market, it would be 11.5%.

There is a greater divide between the rich and the poor than ever in the history of this great nation.

We borrow over 40 cents of every dollar that is spent by the Federal Imperial Government - and at this time, there is no plan to get out from under the debt.

The War on Poverty is a complete failure. Time to get government out of the business of providing social benefits for people and tell them to stand up and take care of themselves.

The start of the new era should commence with the defeat of the extension of jobless benefits. 36 weeks is sufficient. If not, then you need to solve that problem yourself.

If we don't change our ways, I sure hope you enjoy munching your government cheese each month in order to survive. That is what it is coming down to.

----------

And for the jackazz few who will come back with saying that I am out to let sick people die in the streets, go screw yourselves. I have been very public about a limited social safety nets for those that truly are needy.

What we have now is government using social programs to control the total population. That is wrong.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#3 Jan 10, 2014
In my entire life, I don't recall one politician on either side of the fence utter these words below or even address the existence of these statistics. Not one.

About 16,000 children die from hunger or hunger related causes every day!(world wide)

That's about one every five seconds.

Roughly 30,000 children die from preventable diseases every day.(again, world wide)

About 16,000,000 kids go to bed hungry every night in the USA.

16,000,000!!

These facts rarely if ever hit the front page of the papers or are even discussed. There is no "outrage" in Congress or from families affected by these numbers. There is no "outrage" in the press or long interviews with the people affected.

What's wrong with this picture?

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#4 Jan 10, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
In my entire life, I don't recall one politician on either side of the fence utter these words below or even address the existence of these statistics. Not one.
About 16,000 children die from hunger or hunger related causes every day!(world wide)
That's about one every five seconds.
Roughly 30,000 children die from preventable diseases every day.(again, world wide)
About 16,000,000 kids go to bed hungry every night in the USA.
16,000,000!!
These facts rarely if ever hit the front page of the papers or are even discussed. There is no "outrage" in Congress or from families affected by these numbers. There is no "outrage" in the press or long interviews with the people affected.
What's wrong with this picture?
I don't know the following to be factual, but I do know elements of what I am going to say are fact.

As a country, we are the most charitable on the face of the earth. As individuals, we are the most charitable of any nation on the face of the earth. Yet with all of the giving, there is little if anything positive to show for it.

In this country, groups like Rainbow PUSH and the National Action Network suck dollars intended for humanitarian causes and line the pockets of poverty pimps like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Across the world, we choose between corrupt regimes to give money and supplies to only to have them sold on the black market and the money deposited in the hands of the corrupt rulers of those nations.

There has got to be a better way.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#5 Jan 10, 2014
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know the following to be factual, but I do know elements of what I am going to say are fact.
As a country, we are the most charitable on the face of the earth. As individuals, we are the most charitable of any nation on the face of the earth. Yet with all of the giving, there is little if anything positive to show for it.
In this country, groups like Rainbow PUSH and the National Action Network suck dollars intended for humanitarian causes and line the pockets of poverty pimps like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
Across the world, we choose between corrupt regimes to give money and supplies to only to have them sold on the black market and the money deposited in the hands of the corrupt rulers of those nations.
There has got to be a better way.
I don't know all the facts either but you are correct that we are the most charitable, at least when it comes to aid for foreign countries, especially in times of disaster. The problem is the level of corruption, mismanagement, and bureaucratic nonsense on the part of the "too numerous to mention" federal, state, and municipal government entities allegedly dedicated to helping the poor and downtrodden within our own borders.

The various "poverty pimps" don't help matter any either. Especially the two you mentioned who turn every issue in to a race baiting adventure as they try to remain relevant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 29 min ritedownthemiddle 34,228
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 4 hr Whiny1 235
News Minnesota State Patrol honors 2014 lifesavers, ... 8 hr Fear ISIS 2
NHL playoffs!!! 10 hr Spirit of 1776 24
Obama Administration shows it cares 12 hr Fear ISIS 4
News For inmates, a healing process through journaling 12 hr cowboy chris 1
News Minnesota kids too fat to fight, ex-generals say Mon LIbEralS 17
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]