Cheers! Pawlenty passes basement drink brewing law

Full story: TwinCities.com

Home drink brewers in Minnesota can now sell their concoctions to the public. Gov. Tim Pawlenty signed a bill Thursday that makes it legal for commercial beverages to be brewed in the basement of a building.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Crock-o-Bock

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

CHEERS!!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

6

2

2

you can brew, but only if its tea and you invite him to the party
Eastsider

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Anyone want to buy my moonshine? Time to get a permit;)
Really

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

oxboro wrote:
you can brew, but only if its tea and you invite him to the party
Were you born with limited intellect or did you evolve with it?
Sen Jimmy Metzen

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

this is the happiest day of my life

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you born with limited intellect or did you evolve with it?
now why would you ask that? On good friday of all days
America the Great

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Maybe the Governor knows something I don't. Tim thinks it is okay to brew your beer AND sell it to any one (which increases more drunk drivers on the street), but he's against growing your own marijuana and selling that to any one ????? Worse, the marijuana crowd wanted hash to ease medical ills.

I don't get it? What's the big difference between a drunk driving killing some one on the road after one two many versus a drug dealer killing some one in an alley because he wants more joints ???? This appears to be a very big double standard.

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 2, 2010
 
Is home brewing and resultant "basement-on premises" sales subject to 'new' state taxation? This home brewer wants to know!
articlerealsies

Mayer, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

5

4

2

There is a misrepresentation by some that the legislation about brewing below grade will allow folks to brew in their home basement commercially. This is not case.
The bill was introduced on behalf of a non-alcohol beverage producer who wish to produce products below grade in a commercially zoned area.
When the MN Department of Agriculture looked at the rules they realized many current commercially licensed businesses were in compliance with the law. This included several brew pubs and breweries. Recognizing this, language was introduce to cleaned up the law to bring existing business in compliance with the law.
To become a brewer in MN you will still need to be approved federally by ATF/TTB which now include filing documents via the ATF/TTB for the Department Homeland Security and the FDA. Further you will have to be approved by the MN Department
Public Safety, the MN Department of Agriculture and by your local city government which governs local building, zoning, and icensing issues. The key word being zoning.
Production breweries are license by the State as a manufacturing business thus local governments required them to operate in industrial zoned areas.
Brewpubs are licensed under the on premise license thus are required to operate in commercial zones, with all the requirement that come with being an on premise business.
Hope this helps everyone better understand the issues.
Tod Fyten
President/Brewer
Mantorville Brewing Company, LLC
This is clear as a bell from what I read look at the site this was pulled from mn b eer.com
What the hoopla twincities.c om any integrity today or just a hype sort of day?
articlerealsies

Mayer, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I post this info as I was "tricke d" into thinking something the article suggest like this could really be true. I am a homebrewer and this was indeed bad reporting that drove me to check out twincites.c om for the first time as I had never even heard of this site and I will never trust this "news" source again as its just poor homework in my humble opinion. Cheers

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

articlerealsies wrote:
There is a misrepresentation by some that the legislation about brewing below grade will allow folks to brew in their home basement commercially. This is not case.
The bill was introduced on behalf of a non-alcohol beverage producer who wish to produce products below grade in a commercially zoned area.
When the MN Department of Agriculture looked at the rules they realized many current commercially licensed businesses were in compliance with the law. This included several brew pubs and breweries. Recognizing this, language was introduce to cleaned up the law to bring existing business in compliance with the law.
To become a brewer in MN you will still need to be approved federally by ATF/TTB which now include filing documents via the ATF/TTB for the Department Homeland Security and the FDA. Further you will have to be approved by the MN Department
Public Safety, the MN Department of Agriculture and by your local city government which governs local building, zoning, and icensing issues. The key word being zoning.
Production breweries are license by the State as a manufacturing business thus local governments required them to operate in industrial zoned areas.
Brewpubs are licensed under the on premise license thus are required to operate in commercial zones, with all the requirement that come with being an on premise business.
Hope this helps everyone better understand the issues.
Tod Fyten
President/Brewer
Mantorville Brewing Company, LLC
This is clear as a bell from what I read look at the site this was pulled from mn b eer.com
What the hoopla twincities.c om any integrity today or just a hype sort of day?
Tod;
Thanks for revealing the intricacies and straight scoop on this legislation. As usual there always seems to be a Catch-22 in such a story as this. Again, thanks for setting the record correct.
gtV
Sen Jimmy Metzen

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

America the Great wrote:
Maybe the Governor knows something I don't. Tim thinks it is okay to brew your beer AND sell it to any one (which increases more drunk drivers on the street), but he's against growing your own marijuana and selling that to any one ????? Worse, the marijuana crowd wanted hash to ease medical ills.
I don't get it? What's the big difference between a drunk driving killing some one on the road after one two many versus a drug dealer killing some one in an alley because he wants more joints ???? This appears to be a very big double standard.
ask me or my DUI DFL pals
WTF

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How about being able to purchase beer and liquor on Sundays? How much longer does Timmy the Tool want to keep giving Wisconsin more money?
TU ra-terd

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

America the Great wrote:
Maybe the Governor knows something I don't. Tim thinks it is okay to brew your beer AND sell it to any one (which increases more drunk drivers on the street), but he's against growing your own marijuana and selling that to any one ????? Worse, the marijuana crowd wanted hash to ease medical ills.
I don't get it? What's the big difference between a drunk driving killing some one on the road after one two many versus a drug dealer killing some one in an alley because he wants more joints ???? This appears to be a very big double standard.
**********
Go barter your neighbor for a cold one!
The alias you cleverly CHOSE dis appeared and your writing appeared a 2x to your name!
So, like, if you're going to have a bad attitude maybe you should CHANGE your name as it "appears on your post" aye personally HOPE you CHANG sumthing...

pawlenty is a conservative!
RIGHT?
mucho energy needed to grow MariJuana... also, there are WAYS to share your feelings without being all emotional and going off the topic AND i MEAN.So, talk to later, and thank OUR governor!

fyi: MN NEEDS TO know we need governor T.P.awlenty does not have to sign off on legalizing marijuana; O' BAM Ah cares for the health, farmucueticals, AND the education between percentages of OUR A.G.eneral SHES on a HIGH donkey and probably distributing the j system in a back alley, if you know what I mean??? ;) rather than sending off topic COMPLAINTS to the most EFFECTIVE blog.
Instead, Pawlenty has to do all the durty work...!!!gracias para la cerveza!!! mn GOVERNORPAWLENTY
its not cool when people go off topic is it?:)
articlerealsies

Mayer, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

For the record I am not Tod, I simply cut and pasted exactly what he stated on the aforementioned site on the inital post.
TU ra-terd

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

2

WTF wrote:
How about being able to purchase beer and liquor on Sundays? How much longer does Timmy the Tool want to keep giving Wisconsin more money?
Speaking of tools, I know its been warm but who in the RIGHT mind took you ooout of the shed? Some light my boozin' friend...
Ps. If you're drivin a ways to wiscony every Sunday to get beer chances are you're contributing through the gas tax... Also, without being open on Sunday, probably use less patrol, then again the revenue from drunk drivers... Maybe it would be good you should contact our governor about your Sunday funday 'sconsin BLUEs just maybe he'll change the LAW...
Sounds like an avid drinker such as yourelf would want to incorporate sum thing into your basement!!! I bet the MN governor has a good idea!
drinkydrinky

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

lets get pisssssed!!!!! yeeehaaa!!!!
TJax

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

This bill does not mean that any homebrewer can sell beer that they have made.
To become a brewer in MN you will still need to be approved federally by ATF/TTB which now include filing documents via the ATF/TTB for the Department Homeland Security and the FDA. Further you will have to be approved by the MN Department
Public Safety, the MN Department of Agriculture and by your local city government which governs local building, zoning, and icensing issues. The key word being zoning. A great clarification on the bill can be found at: http://mnbeer.com/2010/03/11/the-lowdown-on-b...

Since: Mar 09

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

America the Great wrote:
Maybe the Governor knows something I don't. Tim thinks it is okay to brew your beer AND sell it to any one (which increases more drunk drivers on the street), but he's against growing your own marijuana and selling that to any one ????? Worse, the marijuana crowd wanted hash to ease medical ills.
I don't get it? What's the big difference between a drunk driving killing some one on the road after one two many versus a drug dealer killing some one in an alley because he wants more joints ???? This appears to be a very big double standard.
Your stupidity is showing!
Hey

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 2, 2010
 
Thanks!
TJax wrote:
This bill does not mean that any homebrewer can sell beer that they have made.
To become a brewer in MN you will still need to be approved federally by ATF/TTB which now include filing documents via the ATF/TTB for the Department Homeland Security and the FDA. Further you will have to be approved by the MN Department
Public Safety, the MN Department of Agriculture and by your local city government which governs local building, zoning, and icensing issues. The key word being zoning. A great clarification on the bill can be found at: http://mnbeer.com/2010/03/11/the-lowdown-on-b...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
St. Paul native on a quest to walk around the w... 3 hr lezarrick 1
WTF, Summer? It's 103 Degrees in Canada, 55 in ... 5 hr Petal Power 2
Wailing 5 hr Space ace 2
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 6 hr ritedownthemiddle 31,996
Welfare Cash for Weed in Colorado 11 hr cantmakeitup 1
liberal war on women (Jul '13) 12 hr Earl 78
Obamacare subsidies illegal 12 hr beckmans 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••