Global warming 'undeniable,' scientis...

Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

There are 35550 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#31915 Feb 25, 2014
common sense

Coffeyville, KS

#31916 Feb 25, 2014
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The climate changes within a range, naturally as cyclical processes shift heat and energy around in dynamic patterns.
BUT no. The issue is that AGW is shifting the climate BEYOND what is 'normal' into areas that will cost money to adapt to, or cost lives.
P.S. You do raise the one question. Why is it that denialist posters seem mostly to choose handles that are the OPPOSITE of their actual logic?
i.e you post the OPPOSITE of common sense, mostly ignorance and bad logic. Do you REALLY think your handle will give such crap some credibility? Or that the readers will be fooled?
So when the climate changed and the people started losing crops, people died, population shrunk due to lack of ability to grow food, and things got real cold and they came into the little ice age....that wasn't climate beyond what had been normal before that and didn't make "costly" change to their lives or adaptability? RIGHT!!!! Wonder what the evil humans were doing to this fragile climate then to cause such a horrible thing to happen?

When things started warming up....what changed....oh yeah, more population because people could grow more food and expand into areas they had not been able to live before. But the climate didn't apparently change "extremely" enough to make a change in money or cost issues....oh wait, that's right it did. They were just positive changes. And those same evil humans that had caused the little ice age made what changes to their daily lives to try to restore a more acceptable friendly climate....oh that's right, they sent out priest to pray the ice back.

So we are to believe now that the changes are so extreme it is unprecedented and man must be responsible for it all. According to you, because it will cost money to adapt and maybe even lives.....and that is also unprecedented in our history. So never before has it cost to adapt to changes in our climate.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
SpaceBlues

United States

#31917 Feb 25, 2014
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
So when the climate changed and the people started losing crops, people died, population shrunk due to lack of ability to grow food, and things got real cold and they came into the little ice age....that wasn't climate beyond what had been normal before that and didn't make "costly" change to their lives or adaptability? RIGHT!!!! Wonder what the evil humans were doing to this fragile climate then to cause such a horrible thing to happen?
When things started warming up....what changed....oh yeah, more population because people could grow more food and expand into areas they had not been able to live before. But the climate didn't apparently change "extremely" enough to make a change in money or cost issues....oh wait, that's right it did. They were just positive changes. And those same evil humans that had caused the little ice age made what changes to their daily lives to try to restore a more acceptable friendly climate....oh that's right, they sent out priest to pray the ice back.
So we are to believe now that the changes are so extreme it is unprecedented and man must be responsible for it all. According to you, because it will cost money to adapt and maybe even lives.....and that is also unprecedented in our history. So never before has it cost to adapt to changes in our climate.
Name yourself 'no common sense.' What's your evidence?

Above, Fair Game posted: The warming of climate will not necessarily lead to improved living conditions everywhere. Changes in sea level, in agricultural productivity, and in water availability can be anticipated, but the dimensions of their economic, political, or social consequences can not.

What's your response?

Charlie's

#31918 Feb 25, 2014
harmonious wrote:
Settled? Even the U.K.'s national weather service concedes there's been no change — delicately called a "pause" — in global temperature in 15 years. If even the raw data is recalcitrant, let alone the assumptions and underlying models, how settled is the science?"
That's what says UK National Met Office:

"There is natural variability in Earth's climate but the current climate change is very unusual as it is not exclusively part of a natural cycle.

Natural factors include aerosols and phenomena such as El Niño and La Niña (which cause warming and cooling of the Pacific Ocean surface). Natural climate variations can lead to periods with little or no warming, both globally and regionally, and other periods with very rapid warming. However, there is an underlying trend of warming that is almost certainly caused by man's activities.

Last updated: 1 octobre 2013"

“you know i know”

Since: Oct 07

denver

#31923 Feb 25, 2014
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post, lost on the warming hysterics however.

“you know i know”

denver

#31924 Feb 25, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what says UK National Met Office:
"There is natural variability in Earth's climate but the current climate change is very unusual as it is not exclusively part of a natural cycle.
Natural factors include aerosols and phenomena such as El Niño and La Niña (which cause warming and cooling of the Pacific Ocean surface). Natural climate variations can lead to periods with little or no warming, both globally and regionally, and other periods with very rapid warming. However, there is an underlying trend of warming that is almost certainly caused by man's activities.
Last updated: 1 octobre 2013"
sorry, i'm not buying it. i'm more worried about another ice age, you've heard of them, haven't you?

Charlie's

#31926 Feb 26, 2014
harmonious wrote:
sorry, i'm not buying it. i'm more worried about another ice age, you've heard of them, haven't you?
Yes, In the sixties, that was the fear as consequence of a MAD nuclear war.
I don't despair we shall recreate mammouthes to have game to hunt in such case.

Charlie's

#31927 Feb 26, 2014
harmonious wrote:
You don't buy it, it's free for you, Special offer.
If you live close to the sea shore, just think about purchasing higher place to live because of ocean level rising.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#31928 Feb 26, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Why only quote a study from 2005 when we have analysis of data from satellites up to 2012? Oh yes, of course: because the latest figure show the Antarctic losing ice.[URL deleted] Deniers are liars. And stupid one too.
Don't panic, when the Antarctic loses ice the Arctic gains it, and vice versa. Isn't nature beautiful?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#31929 Feb 26, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Don't panic, when the Antarctic loses ice the Arctic gains it, and vice versa. Isn't nature beautiful?
Both the Arctic and the Antarctic ice caps are losing ice mass.

http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/iceshe...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Charlie's

#31930 Feb 26, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Observing_t...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#31931 Feb 26, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
Thanks!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31932 Feb 26, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
If you live close to the sea shore, just think about purchasing higher place to live because of ocean level rising.
Anyone who lives next to a river, lake, stream, ocean, etc. takes a risk of being flooded.

“you know i know”

denver

#31933 Feb 26, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/iceshe...
So what? meaningless and of course you're lying anyway.

Krauthammer: The myth of "settled science"
By Charles Krauthammer
Washington Post Writers Group
POSTED: 02/22/2014 05:01:00 PM MST248 COMMENTS| UPDATED: A DAY AGO

""The debate is settled," asserted propagandist in chief Barack Obama in his latest State of the Union address. "Climate change is a fact." Really? There is nothing more anti-scientific than the very idea that science is settled, static, impervious to challenge."

Obama is an idiot.

"So much for settledness. And climate is less well understood than breast cancer. If climate science is settled, why do its predictions keep changing? And how is it that the great physicist Freeman Dyson, who did some climate research in the late 1970s, thinks today's climate-change Cassandras are hopelessly mistaken?"

Warmers are stupid and hysterical

"They deal with the fluid dynamics of the atmosphere and oceans, argues Dyson, ignoring the effect of biology, i.e., vegetation and topsoil. Further, their predictions rest on models they fall in love with: "You sit in front of a computer screen for 10 years and you start to think of your model as being real." Not surprisingly, these models have been "consistently and spectacularly wrong" in their predictions, write atmospheric scientists Richard McNider and John Christy — and always, amazingly, in the same direction.

Settled? Even the U.K.'s national weather service concedes there's been no change — delicately called a "pause" — in global temperature in 15 years. If even the raw data is recalcitrant, let alone the assumptions and underlying models, how settled is the science?"

Blind leading the blind hysterics

"Climate-change proponents have made their cause a matter of fealty and faith. For folks who pretend to be brave carriers of the scientific ethic, there's more than a tinge of religion in their jeremiads. If you whore after other gods, the Bible tells us, "the Lord's wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit"

Religious fanatics, as loony as the islamofascists, even more dangerous.

“you know i know”

denver

#31934 Feb 26, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
And now it's global COOLING! Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by ...
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../And-global-COOLING-Re... ;
Daily Mail
Sep 28, 2013 - Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 29% in a year ... In the end, it will all just melt away quite suddenly.'..... Wolverine's cub is growing up!
Arctic Ice Makes Comeback From Record Low, but Long-Term ...
www.nytimes.com/.../arctic-ice-makes-comeback... ;
The New York Times
Sep 20, 2013 - Because thin ice is subject to rapid future melting, the scientists said this ... Playing out over a generation, the decline of the Arctic ice cap has ...
Antarctic sea ice hit 35-year record high Saturday - Washington Post

www.washingtonpost.com/.../capital.../anta...... ;
The Washington Post
by Jason Samenow - in 1,163 Google+ circles
Sep 23, 2013 - Antarctic sea ice has grown to a record large extent for a second straight ... now underway – may slow/delay Antarctic warming and ice melt.
Satellite data shows Arctic sea ice coverage up 50 percent | The ...
dailycaller.com/.../global-warming-satellite-... ;
The Daily Caller
Dec 16, 2013 - An Adelie penguin stands atop a block of melting ice near the French station at ... ago in December that Al Gore claimed that the polar ice caps would be completely melted by now.... The North Pole is still there, and growing.
Has global cooling begun? Arctic ice caps grow by 60% in a yea

“you know i know”

denver

#31935 Feb 26, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
"Antarctic sea ice has grown to a record large extent for a second straight year, baffling scientists seeking to understand why this ice is expanding rather than shrinking in a warming world.
On Saturday, the ice extent reached 19.51 million square kilometers, according to data posted on the National Snow and Ice Data Center Web site. That number bested record high levels set earlier this month and in 2012 (of 19.48 million square kilometers). Records date back to October 1978."

“you know i know”

denver

#31936 Feb 26, 2014
DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just at the beach, the level was the same as it was 20 years ago. Another failed prediction from the hysterics.

Charlie's

#31937 Feb 26, 2014
harmonious wrote:
Anyone who lives next to a river, lake, stream, ocean, etc. takes a risk of being flooded.
But not lastingly.
You said that you fear cooling more than warming, there is possibility is that melting of polar ices could slow down or stop the thermohaline circuit and start ice era http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Pol...
although that would suppose all of polar glaciers to have melted, that I don(t believe in because as polar iceselves should get thinner, isostatic release would make Greenland and Antarctica rise back at higher altitude, at least a third of the melted ice thickness, thus abble to harbour everlasting lasting snows. Never forget action and retroactions.
If ever my posts get too technical and polite, warn me

Charlie's

#31938 Feb 26, 2014
harmonious wrote:
I was just at the beach, the level was the same as it was 20 years ago. Another failed prediction from the hysterics.
You are too affirmative to be really credible, when I go to the beach, level has changing tidal level, except maybe for some rares places in Mediterranean sea were tide is +/- half a foot or Dead Sea
litesong

Everett, WA

#31939 Feb 26, 2014
harm on us wrote:
it's global COOLING! Sep 28, 2013 - Return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 29% in a year ...
Still crowing about the ice age return in 2013. But, "harm on us" is weak-kneed, indeed! First touched touchy toxic topix AGW denier claims were 60% recovery, then reduced to 50% recovery, now the time dated 29% recovery. Tho its "ice age" has now reduced by half, "harm on us" still is almost twice too big. At its time stamp, 2013 Arctic Sea Ice VOLUME was less than 16% higher than the average of the Arctic sea ice VOLUMES of previous years in this decade.

Considering the ice age cold that touched touchy toxic topix AGW deniers toted in 2013, what are present conditions for the Arctic sea ices?
//////////
Arctic sea ice VOLUME loss is a better measure of overall Arctic biosphere warming, than sea ice area loss, tho it's data is harder to determine. AGW deniers have complained about the seeming inaccurate use of Volume, but satellite data have confirmed Volume measures. Since the 1980's, the loss of Arctic sea ice VOLUME could only be seen in decadal periods of time. However, the rate of Arctic sea ice VOLUME loss has so greatly increased, VOLUME loss, often can be seen YEARLY! Arctic sea ice VOLUME, as of February 1, 2013 is 1% HIGHER than that of the "2010-to-current" time range. Average Arctic sea ice VOLUME for February 1, for the period 1980-89, was ~26,700 cubic kilometers. Present February 1, 2013 sea ice VOLUME is ~18,800 cubic kilometers,~7900 cubic kilometers less than the 1980-89 period for February 1.
//////////
Touched touchy toxic topix AGW denier science(including "harm on us") that we are in a rapidly cooling ice age era....... is smoke & mirrors, because touched touchy toxic topix AGW deniers have no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama's America Jul 21 TAAM 84
Nice was isis Jul 20 haha 2
Crooked hillary bribes officials Jul 20 Phineas 17
News Father Of Fatally Shot 2-Year-Old Arrested Jul 20 Pope Benedicktum 19
News Spouses have bathroom privacy rights, Minnesota... (Mar '10) Jul 19 Phineas 40
More Police Shootings Jul 17 LIbEralS 2
Minnesota Governor Jul 17 Marie Antionette 1

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages