Global warming 'undeniable,' scientis...

Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

There are 37744 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

“you know i know”

Since: Oct 07

denver

#31327 Jan 28, 2014
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. While winter is going to continue under AGW, the warming of the north compared to the south has weakened the jet stream and allowed polar chill to move south more often and farther than in the past. This 'climate change' is about the likelihood of such cold waves, not the weather itself which is driven by well known phenomenon (arctic polar vortex breakup). Better get used to it. Climate change is here and without a reduction in AGW, there will be other problems occurring. Some may be surprising....
What about this?

BBC Notices No Warming Since 1998 | National Review Online
www.nationalreview.com/planet.../bbc-notices -... ;
National Review
May 20, 2013 - BBC Notices No Warming Since 1998 -... Planet Gore ... Scientists say the recent downturn in the rate of global warming will lead to lower ...

Global warming: Met Office releases revised global temperature ...
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Global-warming-Met-Of ... ;
Daily Mail
Jan 8, 2013 - Global warming has STALLED since 1998: Met Office admits Earth's ... that no further significant increases to the planet's temperature are ...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31328 Jan 28, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am used to it, I've seen it all of my life, of course before there were no hysterical lunatics making a buck off of it and trying to force behavior on others.
The only thing predictable about the weather/climate is that it's unpredictable.
Too bad you didn't get educated during that life. Then you would know how climate is essentially about the predictability of weather in statistical variation. And you would know that weather is not climate. But being ignorant, you probably think the earth is flat too.. after all you have seen it all your life..

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31329 Jan 28, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
The convenient thing about the AGW theory is that it can be used to explain anything and everything. I find that a little too convenient. Don't you?
Science certainly can explain anything and everything. They do. And AGW is a part of the explanation.
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
I find that a little too convenient. Don't you?
Excessive heat, AGW, excessive cold,AGW.
That science can explain climate change is evidence of what? And how is it convenient? It takes decades of study and work to build up a reputation as a leading scientist. And an aptitude that would pay better in business. I find no merit in your post.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31330 Jan 28, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
I observe, the AGW hysterics theorize and change positions to suit their needs. Has the planet been warming since the last ice age? Was AGW around during the little ice age of the 17th century? Was it around during the dark ages? Those were climate anomalies as well as what we're seeing now, weren't they?
Our pitifully short observations in millions of years of weather situations is meaningless IMO.
Science explains the natural world. So you would expect that those who understand science would find new studies on every subject. But there has been no major change in AGW theory or data. I suspect that the 'flip flop' you speak of is in your misunderstandings. If you have specifics I can debate those with you but so far you are just 'slinging mud' randomly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31331 Jan 28, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
What about this?
National Review
May 20, 2013 - BBC Notices No Warming Since 1998 -... Planet Gore ... Scientists say the recent downturn in the rate of global warming will lead to lower ...
Daily Mail
Jan 8, 2013 - Global warming has STALLED since 1998: Met Office admits Earth's ... that no further significant increases to the planet's temperature are ...
As I said already, the CRU scientists know about the problems with limited coverage of the polar regions in their AIR temperature graph. Two things you should note if repeating them will help.

One is that this is AIR temperature and AGW is about the SURFACE temperature. Air is only about 3% of the total and thus more variable.

The other is that adding more polar stations leads to the warming trend returning similar to all the OTHER studies that do include more polar stations. And the Daily Mail is no more relevant than the BBC. Less if anything.

Note also that you lie about the Met office saying that AGW has stalled. They have said that the CRU graph has 'no statistical significance' which means it is not indicative of the true signal. Because the air is such a small part of the total thermal mass and there are long term processes that shift heat to and from the different parts (air, land and ocean) the air temperature has to change over at least thirty years to be even mildly worrysome.

And the choice of 1998 (a peak El-Nino year) is just indicative of the faulty cherry picking used by the denials and their journalist dupes.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/graphics.php...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#31332 Jan 29, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
What about this?
National Review
Daily Mail
Scientists say the recent downturn in the rate of global warming will lead to lower temperature rises in the short-term.

But long-term, the expected temperature rises will not alter significantly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment...
The latest decadal prediction suggests that global temperatures over the next five years are likely to be a little lower than predicted from the previous prediction issued in December 2011.

However, both versions are consistent in predicting that we will continue to see near-record levels of global temperatures in the next few years.

Small year to year fluctuations such as those that we are seeing in the shorter term five year predictions are expected due to natural variability in the climate system, and have no sustained impact on the long term warming.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/arc...

Since global warming has always been a long term problem, neither of these sources that global warming is not or is less of a problem in the long term.

In fact they say the opposite: in the long term, the problem remains the same.

A post fro the mail which seems to have more relevance is this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

No evidence here that global warming is less of a threat. just of simplistic, mistaken and unintelligent analysis and interpretation of the science.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#31333 Jan 29, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
What about this?
National Review
Daily Mail
Where is the cooling trend?
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/F...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#31334 Jan 29, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>BWAAAAAAAHAHAHA
Basic like replying to your own sock puppet? How special of you!!!!
LOL.
P.S. Tell your people you are all WRONG!
LOL!!

If that's what you believe, son, then you're wrong again! Par for the course!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#31335 Jan 29, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
One ended in 1910 and another began in 2000, according to Pat's graph.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
litesong

Everett, WA

#31336 Jan 29, 2014
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Right now, ALASKA's winter ski season is on hold because they are melting!!
& not only Alaska but the entire Arctic sea ice has melted back, the last two days.

Arctic sea ice extent, 13,511,482 km2(January 28, 2014), again a consecutive day's, & even greater LOSS, Maryland-sized, due to wide spread Arctic warming & sweeping Arctic cold southward. Warm fronts push into the high Arctic, average temperature above the 80th parallel to -18degC., 11degC(20degF) over average, its highest for the last month, which has been well over average, anyhow. The warm fronts flush much Arctic cold south, MAGADAN, RUSSIA, at -41degC(-42degF) & to the U.S. The sun is 10 diameters north of its yearly most southern position.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#31338 Jan 29, 2014
Snow cover in the Rockies (or most of it) is 14% of average.

There is a system moving in off the Pacific. Ski lodges and farmers are hoping for a good snowstorm.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31339 Jan 29, 2014
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad you didn't get educated during that life. Then you would know how climate is essentially about the predictability of weather in statistical variation. And you would know that weather is not climate. But being ignorant, you probably think the earth is flat too.. after all you have seen it all your life..
I have facts on my side, imbecile, you have hysteria, not much of a contest.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31340 Jan 29, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
There is a system moving in off the Pacific. Ski lodges and farmers are hoping for a good snowstorm.
You're confused or mistaken, we've had tons of snow already this year. getting ready to have up to 3 feet in some places the weatherman said tonight.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31341 Jan 29, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the cooling trend?
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/F...
Who said there was a cooling trend? Not me.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31342 Jan 29, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment...
<quoted text>
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/arc...
Since global warming has always been a long term problem, neither of these sources that global warming is not or is less of a problem in the long term.
In fact they say the opposite: in the long term, the problem remains the same.
A post fro the mail which seems to have more relevance is this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...
No evidence here that global warming is less of a threat. just of simplistic, mistaken and unintelligent analysis and interpretation of the science.
Even if it's true I don't subscribe to the hysteria that it's a bad thing, on the contrary there's a positive aspect to it, huge swaths of the northern hemisphere are un farmable, think Canada and Russia. A warmer climate there could open up livable areas that could grow crops for the world.
Many sources say the planets warming stopped 15 years ago, i see no credible evidence that they are wrong. In addition many of the claims the hysterics made have not materialized.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“you know i know”

denver

#31343 Jan 29, 2014
no automobiles, no coal fired plants

The Disastrous 14th Century - University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/.../x14thc.htm&#8206 ;
University of Wisconsin&#8209;G...
Apr 10, 1998 - Two great natural disasters struck Europe in the 14th Century. One was climatic: the Little Ice Age. This term is used in wildly varied ways by ...

Little Ice Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age&#820... ;
Wikipedia
3.1 Europe and North America; 3.2 Depictions of winter in European painting; 3.3 Asia ... during the twelfth to fourteenth, seventeenth and nineteenth centuries.... The Little Ice Age ended in the latter half of the nineteenth century or early in the .

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31344 Jan 29, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
I have facts on my side, imbecile, you have hysteria, not much of a contest.
Every stage of denial, one after the other... in five posts. How droll..

And still not a single fact presented by this idjit.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#31345 Jan 30, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if it's true I don't subscribe to the hysteria that it's a bad thing, on the contrary there's a positive aspect to it, huge swaths of the northern hemisphere are un farmable, think Canada and Russia. A warmer climate there could open up livable areas that could grow crops for the world.
I suspect Putin thinks the same thing. He gets the Arctic gas, and Siberia is a bit more tolerable.

Do you think he's going to share these crops with you?

Do you think Canada is when the US dries up a and crops fail?

Or let you emigrate?
Many sources say the planets warming stopped 15 years ago, i see no credible evidence that they are wrong. In addition many of the claims the hysterics made have not materialized.
Well the sources you have quoted so far in support of that argument turn out to say exactly the opposite.

The blind and the stupid don't think AGW is going to be a problem?

Well knock me down with a feather!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#31346 Jan 30, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said there was a cooling trend? Not me.
Just wanted to make sure that you understood the recent slowing of warming does not mean that global warming is over.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#31347 Jan 30, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
The pictures at http://tinyurl.com/ltuaatb ought to convince even the dimmest denialist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woodward and Bernstein? 5 min God 4
Liberals crying over trump comments again 8 min God 38
I Had a Dream 15 min Maggie 2
Megyn Kelly's mysterious Olympics benching by N... Tue Me Too 7
Libs behind Hawaii fake alert Mon FBI Dirty - Trump... 11
Obama tries to suck up to Prince Harry Jan 15 Seattle Slew 70
Somalians at jimmy johns Jan 15 figgypops 5

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance