Global warming 'undeniable,' scientis...

Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

There are 37425 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30522 Dec 8, 2013
Hey wrote:
Global warming, OH SHOOT it's getting colder.
It's called winter. And it doesn't relate to the global average surface temperature which is getting warmer. More snow may be a result. Keep that in mind.
Hey wrote:
Soooo we need a different disaster, what will work no matter what happens to the worlds temps?
The worlds temperature (of the surface, not the world) is warming up. That is the science. I don't know what you are on about. Something from the tabloid section at the supermarket between the two headed martian and the lizard baby?
Hey wrote:
Ahhh, "CLIMATE CHANGE".
Sure. The north to south flow of air seems to be free'er and that is a change in the 'normal climate'. It has to do with a weakening of the jet stream that normally makes a barrier, but which now is pushed far to the south or north relatively easily. Makes for much more VARIABLE weather (which is a change in climate).
Hey wrote:
If anything at all happens we can be assurred that the title will apply. You know the recent tyhoon in the Phillipins, blame it on "Climate Change".
The strength of superstom Haiyak is probably helped by warmer ocean waters. But we digress.. no SINGLE event can be reliably associated with a general shift. You need statistical evidence.
Hey wrote:
Next disaster, we got it covered...
LOL, fools!!
You certainly are.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#30523 Dec 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The last time we had 280ppm CO2 in the air, we had a small ice age. I believe 500ppm is a better goal.
The last time we had 500ppm in the air, there was no ice on the planet.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30524 Dec 8, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the last time the planet was at 380 to 450 ppm (about where we are now) was 3 mya (the Middle Plioscene) the oceans rose 20 meters. Think what that would do to coastlines and coastal cities.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30525 Dec 8, 2013

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#30526 Dec 8, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
Last time, Fair Game claims his ice core samples come from places where ice never melts. That's the problem with using ice as your thermometer and depending on it to measure catastrophic global warming is futile, you can't measure captured CO2 bubbles when ice melts and releases past atmospheric samples.
LIbEralS

Minneapolis, MN

#30527 Dec 11, 2013
Now it’s global cooling. Give me a break.
It's disgraceful. Climate and mankind's impact on it absolutely should be studied. But you would think that by this time, out of simple embarrassment, scientists would assume a tad more humility about their conclusions before yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre.

http://www.presidentandceomagazine.com/news/1...
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30528 Dec 11, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
Now it’s global cooling. Give me a break.
It's disgraceful. Climate and mankind's impact on it absolutely should be studied. But you would think that by this time, out of simple embarrassment, scientists would assume a tad more humility about their conclusions before yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre.
http://www.presidentandceomagazine.com/news/1...
If YOU cannot understand it or the MEDIA gets it wrong, the scientists are not 'disgraced'. Please rent a clue.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#30529 Dec 11, 2013
I think most of us do get CAGW!!! It's a big lie!
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30531 Dec 11, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
I think most of us do get CAGW!!! It's a big lie!
And you pulled this from where? Your big fat behind I suppose since all the FACTS show AGW is valid science.

Two problems with trying to educate the ignorant such as you. One is the Dunning Kruger effect. Idiots tend to lack the critical thinking skills to know that they are idiots.

Second is the emphasis on 'opinion' as if reality will bend to political pressure.

AGW is here. It will have drastic effects on climate. Deal with it.OR bug out but don't try to take everyone else with you..

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#30534 Dec 12, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
....... since all the FACTS show AGW is valid science........
lets take it one step at a time, smarty pants!
Lol
Name the specific facts!
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30535 Dec 12, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>lets take it one step at a time, smarty pants!
Lol
Name the specific facts!
YOU name one that you wish to deny. I will demolish your denial. But I am not going to recapitulate decades of science on these pages.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#30536 Dec 12, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU name one that you wish to deny. I will demolish your denial. But I am not going to recapitulate decades of science on these pages.
[email protected]
Big time fail, son!

You claim to have FACTS on your side! Why do you seem afraid to state them? Could it be because you only have opinions?

LOL
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30537 Dec 12, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>[email protected]
Big time fail, son!
You claim to have FACTS on your side! Why do you seem afraid to state them? Could it be because you only have opinions?
LOL
The science is online. Start at www.ipcc.ch

This medium is too small to encompass all that material. This does not invalidate the material. It invalidates those with 'short attention spans' like you looking for a 'sound bite'.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#30538 Dec 12, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The science is online. Start at www.ipcc.ch
This medium is too small to encompass all that material. This does not invalidate the material. It invalidates those with 'short attention spans' like you looking for a 'sound bite'.
not one fact there claiming CAGW will happen. Not one study showing what co2 mitigation will or will not do where climate change is concerned.
Not only do you mistake your own opinions as facts....you interpret other people's opinions the same way.
And you're claiming to be the smarter person on this forum?
Interesting!
Lol

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#30544 Dec 12, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
I don't think so, the poles have month long nights. If we had more CO2, we'd have a greener world. One day maybe, ice will disappear from mountain tops, replaced by green.

What's not to love about global warming?

"the green troll"

#30545 Dec 12, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think so, the poles have month long nights.
The evidence says you are wrong:

A new study in the journal Nature Geoscience suggests that large of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet experienced significant melting during the Pleistocene Pliocene epoch*, between 5.3 and 2.6 million years ago, when atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide were similar to where they are today, and temperatures were about 2 to 3 C warmer than they are now. It was a time when sea levels were some 66 ft. higher than they are today—more than high enough to swamp coastal cities. While scientists knew that all of Greenland and West Antarctica had to be ice-free at the time, the sediment data in the Nature Geoscience shows that the East Antarctic ice sheet must have retreated a couple hundred miles inland.“The East Antarctic Ice Sheet has been much more sensitive to climate change in the past than previously realized,” said the study’s lead author, Carys Cook of Imperial College London, in a statement.

http://science.time.com/2013/07/24/antarctica...

Dr Tina Van De Flierdt, from the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at the College, was part of this study. In 2010 she travelled to Antarctica on a research ship as part of the Integrated Ocean Drilling Programme (IODP) where they drilled deep into the seafloor for sediment cores along the Antarctic margin south of Australia. Previous studies carried out by the team on these cores revealed that sub tropical plants covered Antarctica approximately 53 million years ago.

In this new study, the team focussed on a segment of the core that reveals a time in Antarctica’s history 20 million years later. It showed a time when the climate was gradually cooling until large ice sheets appeared on the continent approximately 33.5 million years ago.

Dr Tina Van De Flierdt, who was an inorganic geochemist on the IODP expedition, carried out the initial chemical analysis on the core samples. She says:“This is a pivotal moment in Antarctica’s history as it moves away from being a warm sub-tropical world to a frigid cold world. The final step of this transition happened quite abruptly and had a major impact on the ecosystem.”

The researchers analysed fossilised microscopic single-celled creatures called dinoflagellates in the sediment cores. Dinoflagellates are an important group of marine plankton and are still in existence today. They found that when Antarctica was sub-tropical and ice-free the seas were inhabited by a diverse array of dinoflagellate species. However, when the ice sheets came into existence the diversity of dinoflagellates species decreased and only species associated with sea-ice environments survived.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp...

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#30546 Dec 12, 2013
Fair Game lied when he wrote: "The last time we had 500ppm in the air, there was no ice on the planet."
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#30547 Dec 13, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Fair Game lied when he wrote: "The last time we had 500ppm in the air, there was no ice on the planet."
You have no basis for that claim. The article certainly doesn't say it. 3 million years ago it was near 400 ppm but probably not ice free. 55 mya it was 600 ppm but ice free. When was it 500 ppm last and NOT ice free. Prove it.

"the green troll"

#30548 Dec 13, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Not me, brian, geology.

Back in the Paleogene,(Pg) there was 500ppm CO2 in the atmosphere...

http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Phaner...

And no ice at the Antarctic...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/...
Jim Shortz

Philadelphia, PA

#30549 Dec 13, 2013
this global warming is freezing my azz off...and its not even winter yet

al gorp = BLOWHARD

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rocket man the New Democrat leader 2 hr Cat Fan 9
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 6 hr Harris 65
Confirmed: trump was wiretapped 23 hr Hillary Blames ot... 4
Maggies Move to Minnesota Thu Irish 6
Who's Your Favorite Actress? Thu Irish 3
Irish: I'm Back Thu Irish 2
uss liberty, lavon affair (Jun '16) Thu ZIONIST BANKSTERS 6

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance