Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

There are 34240 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#30242 Oct 28, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, many, many, times it has been explained by many many different authorities including Kevin Trenberth, Gavin Schmidt, and the UNIPCC.
Global warming "IS UNDENIABLE" but...
Carbon Dioxide (Man made or otherwise) is not the primary driver of surface temperatures as clearly demonstrated by observations for the better part of the last two decades. The experts explained it many times: CO2 has been rising unabated but global average temperature measurements have not.
If one wishes to deny this FACT take your complaints to the experts.
Ignorant, misinformed and unthinking, as usual.

There are many drivers of surface temperature apart from CO2: solar output, aerosols, ocean circulation, volcanic activity.

All of those have been negative for the period you mention: they should have caused cooling.

The fact that temperatures have continued to rise demonstrates that CO2 is the primary driver.

Or it would to anybody with a brain, an organ you are sadly lacking.
dont drink the koolaid

Shakopee, MN

#30243 Oct 28, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorant, misinformed and unthinking, as usual.
There are many drivers of surface temperature apart from CO2: solar output, aerosols, ocean circulation, volcanic activity.
All of those have been negative for the period you mention: they should have caused cooling.
The fact that temperatures have continued to rise demonstrates that CO2 is the primary driver.
Or it would to anybody with a brain, an organ you are sadly lacking.
All valid points that are best addressed to the EXPERTS because it is clear that the aforementioned drivers are a major factor in surface temps. The issue is with the EXPERTS that observed the "hiatus" or "pause". It appears necessary to explain it to THEM so they can 'adjust' THEIR findings to fit your view.

Post Script:
It may not be productive and is clearly unscientific to insult those better informed when attempting to convince them they should reinterpret their findings.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#30244 Oct 28, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I've seen your posts.
You're a jackass.
'nuf said.
Enough said, indeed.

He is a jackass because he defeats you at every turn.

He is a jackass because he is rational and informed.

He is a jackass because you can't dispute the science.

You call Kyle a name because....that's all you have.

I think you're the jackass.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#30245 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
All valid points that are best addressed to the EXPERTS because it is clear that the aforementioned drivers are a major factor in surface temps. The issue is with the EXPERTS that observed the "hiatus" or "pause". It appears necessary to explain it to THEM so they can 'adjust' THEIR findings to fit your view.
Post Script:
It may not be productive and is clearly unscientific to insult those better informed when attempting to convince them they should reinterpret their findings.
This is not a polite debate.

It is smart people pointing out to less smart people how poorly informed they are.

I'm not one of the really smart people, but you are without doibt one of the dumbest.

Post your dumb, ignorant and misinformed views here, and expect people with a brain to tell you how dumb, ignorant and misinformed you are.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#30246 Oct 28, 2013
drink the KKK-aid wrote:
Carbon Dioxide (Man made or otherwise) is not the primary driver of surface temperatures........If one wishes to deny this FACT take your complaints to the experts.
The experts(climate scientists) know that present global warming is a combination of natural effects, AND the warming from additional atmospheric amounts of man-made infra-red energy absorbing non-phase change GHGs, which also control amounts of atmospheric infra-red energy absorbing, phase change water vapor.

Of course, "drink the KKK-aid" is on the sidelines drinking the KKK-aid.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30247 Oct 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
zealot
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#30248 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
If one wishes to deny this FACT take your complaints to the experts.
Since when is it science bent by the deniers of it? Learn some history of science.

In the meantime.. climate science progressses. From nature: Because extreme heatwaves happen only once every few years, the researchers turned to computer climate models to look for signals that foreshadow a severe hot spell. Led by Haiyan Teng, a climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, the scientists examined 2,300 heatwaves from 12,000 years’ worth of simulated US weather.

The analysis revealed that major heatwaves were four times more likely to develop after a strong wavenumber-5 system formed at mid-latitudes. Teng says that this particular pattern can stagnate, leading to slow-moving high-pressure zones that can produce prolonged heat.

Advance warnings of heatwaves would be especially useful in large cities, says Marshall Shepherd, an atmospheric scientist at the University of Georgia in Athens.“Heat waves can be particularly amplified in urban areas,” he says.“If you had a couple of weeks notice, you could mobilize cooling stations and adjust resources to mitigate mortality and morbidity,” and power companies could plan for increased demand driven by air-conditioner use.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#30249 Oct 28, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
zealot
I am a zealot because I defeat you at every turn.

I am a zealot because I am rational and informed.

I am a zealot because you can't dispute the science.

You call me a zealot because....that's all you have.

I think you're the zealot, for the wrong cause.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30250 Oct 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Life's too short to worry what what zealots say.

I prefer to ignore them.

Run along.

“I Feel”

Since: Feb 09

Blest4it!

#30252 Oct 28, 2013
What useful purpose will mitigating a portion of a trace gas which is a fractional part of atmospheric gases actually achieve?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30254 Oct 28, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Bushwhacker wrote:
Oh look... a warmist parrot.

I know, I know... they're not rare or really worth noticing, but they invite mockery.

And that's fun!

LOL

“I Feel”

Since: Feb 09

Blest4it!

#30255 Oct 28, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
What useful purpose have you served, except to prove the dishonesty your "group" displays ???
Pretty funny, you playing the moniker "game" so poorly.
It's almost like you're not equal to ANYONE here....
whats a moniker game, mutt?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#30256 Oct 28, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
To mothy:

Life is too short to be you....
Run along.
Agreed. Actually, it is short on all aspects including physical, mental, etc.

It doesn't run along because it can't follow a map. LOL. But whines 24/7.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30258 Oct 28, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. Actually, it is short on all aspects including physical, mental, etc.
It doesn't run along because it can't follow a map. LOL. But whines 24/7.
Of course the 'wannabe relevant' hypocrite chimes in.

Still trying to make a friend online, I see.

I notice you get little pats on the head when tote the warmists' propaganda, but they don't ever engage you at all.

Ever wonder why?

They are scared to death you'll ask them over to show off the "super cool" flight simulator you made from a refrigerator box.

They know a useful idiot when they see one and put up with your inanities for the 'cause'.

How pathetic you are.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#30259 Oct 28, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
What useful purpose will mitigating a portion of a trace gas which is a fractional part of atmospheric gases actually achieve?
The idea is: by turning up or down the ammount of CO2 in the atmosphere a government can fine tune the climate to minimize extreme weather events and adjust global sea levels.

It is suggested (which is the same as "known as a fact" for those who embrace the belief in TACDDCGCDO) that a government can raise the temperature of the planet by 2 degrees C simply by introducing a formulated amount of CO2 into the air.

There are some people who believe that IF a government can remove 50 molecules of Carbon Dioxide for every 1,000,000 molecules present in the atmosphere it WILL save tens of thousands and perhaps millions of people from suffering the effects of Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide Driven Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption..

Some of these same people proclaim that to militate CO2 is the same as "Saving The Planet"! This could result in achieving control over how much energy an individual may have access to.

For any individual or group of individuals such influence would be quite the achievement.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#30260 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
The idea is: by turning up or down the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere a government can fine tune the climate to minimize extreme weather events and adjust global sea levels.
Wrong again as always. By moderating emissions we can avoid the sort of massive climate change that goes BEYOND what we are 'adapted' to handle and therefore stave off collapse of the economy, disruptions of ecosystems and economic hardships. As to sea level, in my opinion we can only hope to SLOW the rate of rise so that we have time to adapt to higher levels and perhaps limit the rise somewhat.
<quoted text>
It is suggested (which is the same as "known as a fact" for those who embrace the belief in TACDDCGCDO) that a government can raise the temperature of the planet by 2 degrees C simply by introducing a formulated amount of CO2 into the air.
That isn't a question. The FACT of AGW (global average surface tmeperature rising).The exact amount might be quibbled about, and it is almost certainly LESS than we think, but the temperature vs GHGs is just simple physics, reinforced by observations of the past that ensure there is no 'countering force' in the climate. i.e. http://www.grida.no/publications/vg/climate/p...

As to TACDDCGCDO, the only one that 'believes' in your gibberish is YOU.
<quoted text>
There are some people who believe that IF a government can remove 50 molecules of Carbon Dioxide for every 1,000,000 molecules present in the atmosphere it WILL save tens of thousands and perhaps millions of people from suffering the effects of Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide Driven Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption..
The amount of warming is a non-linear function of GHG concentrationn. With 280 ppm we have 33C of warming at the surface (fact, since we measure it). I don't know where the 50 ppm comes from. Our current increase is about 120 ppm. And we are fairly certain that another 280ppm will result in ONLY 3C of warming or so. Not bad compared to the initial 33C. We should count our blessings. But the issue is that COMPETITION for photons occurs so each 'doubling' of GHG has about the same effect on temperature, regardless of the PPM level reached.
<quoted text>
Some of these same people proclaim that to militate CO2 is the same as "Saving The Planet"!
You are saying that 'them' are stupid. This 'pointing fingers' generally comes back to the one pointing the finger. YOU.

The PLANET is not in danger. WE are, or rather modern civilized society is in danger but mostly of serious degradation. Total collapse is possible but only if idiots like you are dominant.
<quoted text>
This could result in achieving control over how much energy an individual may have access to.
More bullshit. Spain has used Wind power to supply over 80% of it's needs ,with serious reductions in GHG output and nobody 'rations' the power in any way.
<quoted text>
For any individual or group of individuals such influence would be quite the achievement.
For you to make sense would be more impressive. I am not holding my breath since EVERY statement you make is total BS.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#30261 Oct 28, 2013
middleofthedownwronggull y wrote:
Actually, multiple infra-red energy absorbing non-phase change GHGs need controlling, which will also control their primary & secondary feedbacks AND will also control the infra-red energy absorbing phase change GHG water vapor & its primary & secondary feedbacks.

Of course, nearly all the climate scientists know this. Toxic topix AGW deniers without science & mathematics degrees AND without science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in their poorly earned or non-earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas love to deny all the above.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30262 Oct 28, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
loon.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#30263 Oct 28, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the 'wannabe relevant' hypocrite chimes in.
Still trying to make a friend online, I see.
I notice you get little pats on the head when tote the warmists' propaganda, but they don't ever engage you at all.
Ever wonder why?
They are scared to death you'll ask them over to show off the "super cool" flight simulator you made from a refrigerator box.
They know a useful idiot when they see one and put up with your inanities for the 'cause'.
How pathetic you are.
Should I be flattered by your long hours of long posts re me? No, because you are easy to dismiss.

I am NOT in your fantasy world. Leave me out of it, duh.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#30264 Oct 28, 2013
motheaten wrote:
.......loon.
litesong wrote:
Hear the convincing, pure, true, & even loud cries of the Loon, which are heard by many:

"motheaten" avoided science & mathematics degrees, dodged around science, chemistry, astronomy & physics courses, & avoided algebra & pre-calc in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. motheaten confirms its opinion is scientifically & mathematically lame.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minneapolis and Saint Paul Tie for First Place ... 9 hr NoseBone Clooney 1
News Twin Cities 'My Brother's Keeper' focuses on yo... 9 hr NoseBone Clooney 18
St. Paul, one of country's best park systems, n... 11 hr Officer Crassus 3
News Lt. Gov. Tina Smith: Why Won't The Legislature ... 11 hr cowboy chris 26
american nationalist party 13 hr Tellitlikeitis 7
Michael Sam: LOL 13 hr true 11
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 17 hr _Zoey_ 246
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]