Global warming 'undeniable,' scientis...

Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

There are 35840 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29829 Sep 29, 2013
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>It's tempting, but to the extent that we have the time, we should continue to reveal their ignorance and/or deceit whenever possible. As incredible as it may seem to rational people, if left unchallenged, there are people so lacking in critical thinking skills that they're swayed by - even impressed by - the obvious idiocy that they spout.
But note this, from Popular Science:

Comments can be bad for science. That's why, here at PopularScience.com , we're shutting them off.

It wasn't a decision we made lightly. As the news arm of a 141-year-old science and technology magazine, we are as committed to fostering lively, intellectual debate as we are to spreading the word of science far and wide. The problem is when trolls and spambots overwhelm the former, diminishing our ability to do the latter.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09...

<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><><>

It's the falseness of being fair to people who believe that there is no cancer/tobacco link or no evidence for evolution. The fringe, in other words. Why give them power that they wouldn't normally have?

Just something to think about.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29830 Sep 29, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
I've never seen a cogent reply from you, son.
LOL
Who are you kidding, mullet?
Yes, right, and the pinnacle of your intellectual ability is posting LOL.

lol

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29831 Sep 29, 2013
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>It's tempting, but to the extent that we have the time, we should continue to reveal their ignorance and/or deceit whenever possible. As incredible as it may seem to rational people, if left unchallenged, there are people so lacking in critical thinking skills that they're swayed by - even impressed by - the obvious idiocy that they spout.
See, this is what you get after you make a valid scientific response.

Kyle, Kyle
the well known pedophyle
and BJ queen.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#29832 Sep 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the falseness of being fair to people who believe that there is no cancer/tobacco link or no evidence for evolution. The fringe, in other words. Why give them power that they wouldn't normally have?
Just something to think about.
It is an existential statement that the greenhouse effect is 100 percent.

Whereas some tobacco smokers might not end up getting cancer. This is an impossible guessing game. However, we have come to exist on this planet due to the naturally ocurring greenhouse effect. Now the artificial portion is a growing malady.. Something that started with the fossil fuel burning in industrialization era.

<as you know>

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#29833 Sep 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, right, and the pinnacle of your intellectual ability is posting LOL.
lol
I thought you were in favor of not replying at all, toots?
Oh well, you never back up your crazy claims anyway. I should've known!

LOL

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
ASA GROUNDED 787

Minneapolis, MN

#29834 Sep 29, 2013
Global warming a myth..

Proven to be global cooling instead.

Climate change was a smart move by radicals, idiots..

Never before has the USA been manipulated causing econimic crisis by a minority of idiots.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#29835 Sep 29, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>It is an existential statement that the greenhouse effect is 100 percent.
Whereas some tobacco smokers might not end up getting cancer.
I forget where I read it but the 95% was explained as 'we know some things like global warming with 100% certainty. We know others will a bit less. The 95% figure relates to how certain we are that all of the report is correct.
litesong

Everett, WA

#29836 Sep 29, 2013
rammed butt wrote:
When I see palm trees growing in my back yard here in Philadelphia, I'll accept global warming.
From philly.com , "During a six-hour period from 2 to 8 p.m., 7.38 inches of rain fell at the Philadelphia International Airport, according to the National Weather Service."

May the dikes be high enough & palm trees growing on the shore lines of the Schuylkill R., be strong enough to stop the AGW enhanced erosion of soils in Philadelphia.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29837 Sep 29, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>It is an existential statement that the greenhouse effect is 100 percent.
Whereas some tobacco smokers might not end up getting cancer. This is an impossible guessing game. However, we have come to exist on this planet due to the naturally ocurring greenhouse effect. Now the artificial portion is a growing malady.. Something that started with the fossil fuel burning in industrialization era.
<as you know>
Yes, there's the anecdotal "disproving" of the tobacco/cancer link; "My uncle smoked till the day he died and he never got cancer, so the scientists/doctors are wrong."

And in my real experience, a great uncle never smoked a day in his life and died of lung cancer. But in his case, it was his job that killed him. He was an engineer on Southern Railroad. There's no telling how much coal dust, coal smoke, diesel smoke, and railbed dust he breathed in his 40 years on the Meridian-New Orleans run.

A comparable anecdote today is that there was global warming before there were SUV's, so it can't be us.

But, this time, it is.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29838 Sep 29, 2013
Denialist idiots may say global warming is a myth, but they have yet to prove it.

Denialist idiots may say it was proven to be global cooling instead but they have yet to prove it.

Denialist idiots may say climate change was a smart move by radicals but they have yet to prove it.

Denialist idiots may say never before has the USA been manipulated, causing economic crisis by a minority, but they have yet to prove it.

Denialist idiots may say lots of things, but they have yet to prove any of it.
litesong

Everett, WA

#29839 Sep 29, 2013
rammed butt wrote:
When I see palm trees growing in my back yard here in Philadelphia, I'll accept global warming.
Virginia Beach has palm trees, about 260miles from Philly. Reports of other palms further north. So, less than 260miles keeps you from believing AGW. You earn your name.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29840 Sep 29, 2013
In the temperature graph from the 5th Assessment, it seems the central South (MS, AL, TN) is the only location within the continental US that has actually gotten cooler or stayed the same in the 110 years average.

I am extremely appreciative of that. But it doesn't lessen my concern for the rest of you nor for the world. Nor is it the only measure of the effects of climate change.

That's why a warmer Minnesota is not necessarily a good thing, though it would seem so to the residents.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#29841 Sep 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
In the temperature graph from the 5th Assessment, it seems the central South (MS, AL, TN) is the only location within the continental US that has actually gotten cooler or stayed the same in the 110 years average.
I am extremely appreciative of that. But it doesn't lessen my concern for the rest of you nor for the world. Nor is it the only measure of the effects of climate change.
That's why a warmer Minnesota is not necessarily a good thing, though it would seem so to the residents.
maybe it's just co2's way of punking 'gcaveman'?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29842 Sep 29, 2013
Solar power is here, and it isn’t just environmentalists saying it anymore. A research division of Citigroup, the massive multinational bank that probably doesn’t share Greenpeace’s worldview on many issues, does agree with us on one point: solar energy is poised to explode in the U.S.

Citi Research published the report,“Rising Sun: Implications for U.S. Utilities,” in August (hat tip to Marc Gunther, who referenced it in a great piece for Yale Environment 360.) It slipped under the media radar, which is unfortunate because the analysis is phenomenal and offers great hope for the clean energy revolution here in the U.S. The report isn’t available online, but here are a few of the key points it makes:

Solar is growing extremely fast in the U.S.
That growth is driven almost entirely by pure economics, not environmental concerns.
The big utilities can’t seem to get either of the above two points through their skulls yet.
Solar financing is the next political frontier to watch in the U.S.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#29843 Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#29844 Sep 29, 2013
MIT Climtologist Richard Linzen about the IPCC overlooking 15 years of no warming contrary to the model:
“Their excuse for the absence of warming over the past 17 years is that the heat is hiding in the deep ocean,” Lindzen added.“However, this is simply an admission that the models fail to simulate the exchanges of heat between the surface layers and the deeper oceans.”

“However, it is this heat transport that plays a major role in natural internal variability of climate, and the IPCC assertions that observed warming can be attributed to man depend crucially on their assertion that these models accurately simulate natural internal variability,” Lindzen continued.“Thus, they now, somewhat obscurely, admit that their crucial assumption was totally unjustified.”
http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/29/top-mit-sci...
Ask for an experimental test of climate change mitigation before you buy. Just saying...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29845 Sep 29, 2013
Blenders are killers:
http://www.google.com/url...

Toy helicopters are killers:

Lawnmowers are killers:

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29846 Sep 29, 2013
Scientists are as certain that climate change is real as they are that cigarettes cause cancer.

There is no debate about that.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Kyle

Columbia City, IN

#29847 Sep 29, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
LOL! Desperate much, ya nitwit? BTW, still waiting for evidence of an 8,000 meter wind turbine blade toss.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Kyle

Columbia City, IN

#29848 Sep 29, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
MIT Climtologist Richard Linzen about the IPCC overlooking 15 years of no warming contrary to the model:
<quoted text>
Ask for an experimental test of climate change mitigation before you buy. Just saying...
So Lindzen distorts and deceives. What's new?

The actual Takeaway is that the heat budget as understood by climate science is correct. Climate scientists are the ones who said that the numbers were showing a discrepancy. Climate scientists did more science. Climate scientists found the source of the discrepancy. The energy budget is upheld, therefore the warming continues as predicted. In fact, since science has found no reason to believe that the oceanic phenomenon found to be at work will not revert to the mean, we can expect the warming rate to accelerate greatly when it does.

BTW, the heating of deep water is not some guess; it's solid science based on data. Lindzen knows all of this so all your comment proves is that Lindzen is an anti-science propaganda tool.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Davy crockett dossier 17 min Davycrockett 7
Liberals caught planning violence for inauguration 18 min Davycrockett 14
Wikileaks: dossier "bogus" 1 hr Space ace 14
Watergate reporter: "trump dossier is garbage" 1 hr Space ace 37
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 9 hr WildLifeLover 687
Holiday Jan 16 14 hr Paradigm Shift ri... 7
South Carolina ALS Association Thanks To: Rev. ... 18 hr Kelsey 3

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance