Global warming 'undeniable,' scientis...

Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

There are 35562 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

SpaceBlues

United States

#29377 Sep 3, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So much stupidity...so little time.(sigh)
Ditto.

How can they afford to be so?
SpaceBlues

United States

#29378 Sep 3, 2013
The deniers should learn this:

RAPIDLY rising carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are causing a potential catastrophe in our oceans as they become more acidic, scientists have warned.

Hans Poertner, professor of marine biology at the Alfred Wegener Institute in Germany, and co-author of a new study of the phenomenon, said:“The current rate of change is likely to be more than 10 times faster than it has been in any of the evolutionary crises in the earth’s history.”

Sea water is naturally slightly alkaline, but as oceans absorb carbon dioxide from the air, their pH level falls gradually. Under the rapid escalation of greenhouse gas emissions, ocean acidification is gathering pace and many forms of marine life – especially species that build calcium-based shells – are under threat.

Poertner said that if emissions continue to rise at “business as usual” rates, this would be potentially catastrophic for some species. Acidification is just one of a broader range of the problems facing the oceans and the combination of different effects is increasing the threat. Poertner said:“We are already seeing warm water coral reefs on a downslide due to a combination of various stressors, including (rising) temperature. Ocean acidification is still early in the process (but) it will exacerbate these effects as it develops and we will see more calcifying species suffering.”
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29379 Sep 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Ditto.
How can they afford to be so?
Obvious candidates for the Darwin Award.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#29380 Sep 3, 2013
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
Then point to it.:)
I accept all of your concessions, lying troll.
what concessions, son??

what are you talking about??

did you draw another conclusion based on your opinions as opposed to facts??

you, and your crowd, seem to do a lot of that!!!

pssst.....no hurricanes in august, tornadic idiot!!

LOL

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#29381 Sep 3, 2013
poor little alarmists.

i don't abhor you all, but i pity you.

LOL

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#29382 Sep 3, 2013
lol!!!!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#29383 Sep 3, 2013
come on, son!!!

you can do better than that!!

judge its???

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#29384 Sep 4, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
The deniers should learn this:
RAPIDLY rising carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are causing a potential catastrophe in our oceans as they become more acidic, scientists have warned. Hans Poertner, professor of marine biology at the Alfred Wegener Institute in Germany, and co-author of a new study of the phenomenon, said:“The current rate of change is likely to be more than 10 times faster than it has been in any of the evolutionary crises in the earth’s history.” Sea water is naturally slightly alkaline, but as oceans absorb carbon dioxide from the air, their pH level falls gradually. Under the rapid escalation of greenhouse gas emissions, ocean acidification is gathering pace and many forms of marine life – especially species that build calcium-based shells – are under threat.
Poertner said that if emissions continue to rise at “business as usual” rates, this would be potentially catastrophic for some species. Acidification is just one of a broader range of the problems facing the oceans and the combination of different effects is increasing the threat. Poertner said:“We are already seeing warm water coral reefs on a downslide due to a combination of various stressors, including (rising) temperature. Ocean acidification is still early in the process (but) it will exacerbate these effects as it develops and we will see more calcifying species suffering.”
Sea water is alkaline and calcium based shells require CO2 to form.

Since: May 13

North Miami Beach, FL

#29385 Sep 4, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you stutter when you type, there's something wrong with your motor skills.
Remember-"affect"-ve rb
-"effect"-noun
What part of Alaska? You do know the state is roughly one-third the size of the continental US, don't you? That's a pretty big place. Lots can happen. Especially since most of it is above the 60th parallel and full of high mountains. Do you think snowstorms are rare in a mountainous region near the Arctic Circle any time of the year?
Did Obama get hold of Bush's Weather Machine (I didn't know Bush had a one!) and direct it against BP? Is that from Alex Jones or Glen Beck
For ten points, choose the correct spelling:
Katerina
Katrena
Cattreena
Katrina
Qattrenna
thethirdrail
What Part of Alaska??? Northern Alaska In In In August August
the temperature dropped to 15 Degrees-now if you use old Math to
Measure Temperature you get one of the Coldest drop in temperature
recorded in Northern Alaska Now that's Cooooold However if
you use the Democrats New Math to measure temperature I'm sure
you would still say that's hot. Duhhh

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#29386 Sep 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Sea water is alkaline and calcium based shells require CO2 to form.
Maybe you need to do an experiment, brian?
Long term shells experiment shows the influence of a decreasing pH on shells of marine organisms mainly made of limestone.
http://www.epoca-project.eu/index.php/what-do...
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#29387 Sep 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Sea water is alkaline..
Yes. And it must be even more alkaline to produce carbonate shells than it is under acidification. Acidification says nothing about the Ph except that it is getting lower (more acid, less base)
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text> calcium based shells require CO2 to form.
Yes. Did you have a point?? They form quite well under 280 ppm of atmospheric CO2. They form less well with 400 ppm due to acidification. As usual you make statements that are true in detail but say nothing meaningful.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29388 Sep 4, 2013
thethirdrail wrote:
<quoted text>
thethirdrail
What Part of Alaska??? Northern Alaska In In In August August
the temperature dropped to 15 Degrees-now if you use old Math to
Measure Temperature you get one of the Coldest drop in temperature
recorded in Northern Alaska Now that's Cooooold However if
you use the Democrats New Math to measure temperature I'm sure
you would still say that's hot. Duhhh
Northern Alaska? You mean to tell me that there was a snowstorm in northern Alaska, above the Arctic Circle? I'm amazed! How in the world did that happen? And in August August, too?

But tell me more about Bush's Weather Machine. I might want to buy one. And why did Obama direct it against BP? When did he do this? And who was running the country while he was tending to this?

"Duhhh" is right.

Since: May 13

North Miami Beach, FL

#29389 Sep 4, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Northern Alaska? You mean to tell me that there was a snowstorm in northern Alaska, above the Arctic Circle? I'm amazed! How in the world did that happen? And in August August, too?
But tell me more about Bush's Weather Machine. I might want to buy one. And why did Obama direct it against BP? When did he do this? And who was running the country while he was tending to this?
"Duhhh" is right.
thethirfrail

Bush's Weather Machine was a Conspiracy theory Put out by by by
Farahkahn and his crowd - I don't know if your crowd was also
pushing it---but the theory Maintained that the Machine could be
directed against Black People because Bush was a Racist.
As For Obama Using a Non-Existent Machine--- against BP Oil
and Big oil that's obvious he wants to stop Big Oil Oil Oil
from tapping into that Non-Existent Oil in the Gulf!!! Duhhhh
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#29390 Sep 4, 2013
thethirdrail wrote:
<quoted text>
thethirfrail
Bush's Weather Machine was a Conspiracy theory Put out by by by
Farahkahn and his crowd - I don't know if your crowd was also
pushing it---but the theory Maintained that the Machine could be
directed against Black People because Bush was a Racist.
As For Obama Using a Non-Existent Machine--- against BP Oil
and Big oil that's obvious he wants to stop Big Oil Oil Oil
from tapping into that Non-Existent Oil in the Gulf!!! Duhhhh
a Conspiracy theory? Duh.

I thought you accepted it. I wonder why.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#29391 Sep 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Sea water is alkaline and calcium based shells require CO2 to form.
Read my post again. You don't get it:

.. the ocean acidification event that humans are expected to cause is unprecedented in the geologic past, for which sufficiently well-preserved records are available.

http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146...

Furthermore, your lying posts are product of your ignorance. It is impossible to teach you from post to post what you can never learn.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#29392 Sep 5, 2013
"Financial advisory firm Lazard has recently released an analytical report with an encouraging conclusion – the cost of wind power has come down by more than 50% in the past four years. You can read through the cover letter here, or the full report here.

This is an exciting update. It shows the tremendous progress that the wind industry has made in the last several years. It also makes the case that a long-term extension of the federal tax incentives that have driven these cost reductions – the renewable energy production tax credit (PTC) and investment tax credit (ITC)– will give wind energy companies the certainty they need to make further advancements, and achieve full cost-competitiveness with other energy technologies." Chris Chwastyk <[email protected]>

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#29393 Sep 5, 2013
Wind turbines butcher birds and bats.

Proponents for wind power are heartless people!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#29394 Sep 5, 2013
Bats are good for the environment and good for agriculture.

Wind turbines kill these important creatures!
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#29395 Sep 5, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
"Financial advisory firm Lazard has recently released an analytical report with an encouraging conclusion – the cost of wind power has come down by more than 50% in the past four years.
Whereas the cost of fossil fuel power is going up by 7% a year or so.

Even photovoltaic solar is at 'grid parity' in about 10% of the USA. Wind (land based, utility grade) has long been at parity with most electricity generation.

http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/electricity_...

With cost of coal power set to 100, wind power comes in at 86.6
beating even hydro dam power. Now wonder it is the USA leader in new installed capacity in 2012.
LessHypeMoreFact

Etobicoke, Canada

#29396 Sep 5, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Wind turbines butcher birds and bats.
Wind power has a negligible effect on bird and bat populations. By FAR the larger issue is cars, power lines and high rises. Things that run on FOSSIL fuels for the most part.

but this is just spin and spam from RDTM.
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Proponents for wind power are heartless people!
It isn't an us vs them game dimwit. Fossil fuels are dangerous not only to wildlife but also to humans (see death and injury statistics on coal mining for example).

Denial is not only heartless but mindless. Grow up for GODs sake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Lies Matter Epic Fails 13 hr LIbEralS 2
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 19 hr LIbEralS 520
BERNIE sells out! 22 hr LIbEralS 11
Liberal top 10 list Wed LIbEralS 2
News Fridley Man Charged With Attempted Murder After... Tue Zom Associate 20
Obama's America Jul 24 TAAM 85
Nice was isis Jul 20 haha 2

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance