Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

Full story: TwinCities.com

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.
Comments
23,981 - 24,000 of 32,066 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25307
Apr 27, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

WASHINGTON, Apr 26 2013 (IPS)- Nearly a dozen U.S. cities have announced their interest in withdrawing municipal investments from fossil fuel companies, joining a fast-growing movement among colleges and universities that supporters say is allowing citizens concerned with environmental degradation and global climate change to act in lieu of federal action from the U.S. Congress.

On Tuesday, the San Francisco board of supervisors unanimously voted to recommend that the city’s retirement fund formally “divest” of any oil-and-coal holdings, some 583 million dollars’ worth. Next week, the nearby town of Berkeley is set to vote on a resolution that would request the enormous California state pension system to do the same.
"It doesn’t make sense to be spending money on my education if that money is also being spent on something that will threaten that future." -- Brown student Daniel Sherrell

Now, these initiatives have coalesced into a nascent movement. On Thursday, 11 mayors and city councils stated that they would be urging their cities to divest from investments in the 200 largest fossil fuel companies, while advocates say similar petitions are reportedly taking hold in 100 additional cities and states." Check this out: http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/04/u-s-cities-joi...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25308
Apr 27, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

5

I love these dilettante investment decisions, boycotting fossil fuel companies. I buy for dividend income and capital preservation; if somebody's making a decision based on unrelated criteria that creates opportunities.

These liberal California retirement trusts are managed by Democratic party bureaucrats; they bought that fossil fuel stock in the first place.

Another example of government mismanagement. I wouldn't trust them with climate even if climate change mitigation was possible.
Bushwhacked

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25309
Apr 27, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

See See See temps are above average today.

PROOF OF GLOBAL WARMING!!!!
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25310
Apr 27, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

frontporchreactionary wrote:
WASHINGTON, Apr 26 2013 (IPS)- Nearly a dozen U.S. cities have announced their interest in withdrawing municipal investments from fossil fuel companies, joining a fast-growing movement among colleges and universities that supporters say is allowing citizens concerned with environmental degradation and global climate change to act in lieu of federal action from the U.S. Congress.
On Tuesday, the San Francisco board of supervisors unanimously voted to recommend that the city’s retirement fund formally “divest” of any oil-and-coal holdings, some 583 million dollars’ worth. Next week, the nearby town of Berkeley is set to vote on a resolution that would request the enormous California state pension system to do the same.
"It doesn’t make sense to be spending money on my education if that money is also being spent on something that will threaten that future." -- Brown student Daniel Sherrell
Now, these initiatives have coalesced into a nascent movement. On Thursday, 11 mayors and city councils stated that they would be urging their cities to divest from investments in the 200 largest fossil fuel companies, while advocates say similar petitions are reportedly taking hold in 100 additional cities and states." Check this out: http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/04/u-s-cities-joi...
I checked, San Francisco's pension plan is funded at the 97% level so moving the investments to another area may work. However the medical fund, is funded less than 1% and that's a $4.3 million dollar fund.

I am most in favor of voting with your wallet. Let's see how San Francisco 'votes'.
Kyle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25311
Apr 27, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There are no experimental tests of climate change mitigation.....
There's no experimental evidence a new tax will change or mitigate climate change.
You forfeited the right to peddle this crap because we've refuted it ten ways from Sunday and your only responses have been non sequiturs and your autistic parrot imitation. You're obviously at the point of cut-n-pasting your BS.

Your concession is accepted yet again.
Kyle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25312
Apr 27, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

Brian_G wrote:
The Clean Air Act explicitly allows us to emit CO2 without EPA interference.
Relevance = 0

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25313
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Kyle wrote:
You forfeited the right to peddle this crap because we've refuted it ten ways from Sunday and your only responses have been non sequiturs and your autistic parrot imitation. You're obviously at the point of cut-n-pasting your BS. Your concession is accepted yet again.
Kyle hasn't cited a peer reviewed experiment testing climate change mitigation. I oppose climate taxes, leave my carbon alone. Emitting CO2 is fun and profitable.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25317
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Brian G, "Emitting CO2 is fun and profitable." I don't know what companies you invest in ,but none of them are in the fossil fuel industry . Just go ask BP how 'fun and profitable ' the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion and fire in the Gulf of Mexico was for them, or BP's Texas City oil refinery explosion and fire , or the costs and pain to Shell for having to halt their Arctic oil drilling because of safety and environmental fears , or TransCanada's numerous lost class action lawsuits over explosions and fires at their tarsands pipelines,--add to this the huge carbon bubble ready to burst. Check this out: http://carbontracker.live.kiln.it/landingplac...
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25318
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

frontporchreactionary wrote:
Brian G, "Emitting CO2 is fun and profitable." I don't know what companies you invest in ,but none of them are in the fossil fuel industry . Just go ask BP how 'fun and profitable ' the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion and fire in the Gulf of Mexico was for them, or BP's Texas City oil refinery explosion and fire , or the costs and pain to Shell for having to halt their Arctic oil drilling because of safety and environmental fears , or TransCanada's numerous lost class action lawsuits over explosions and fires at their tarsands pipelines,--add to this the huge carbon bubble ready to burst. Check this out: http://carbontracker.live.kiln.it/landingplac...
We must stop feeding the trolls.

YOU must conclude, very soon, that logic and evidence do not work on braindead lyin brian. YOU must conclude that he is either a paid fossil fuel propagandist or a complete and unmitigated idiot.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25319
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

gcaveman1, "We must stop feeding the trolls.

YOU must conclude, very soon, that logic and evidence do not work on braindead lyin brian." I stand with John Stuart Mill and positive liberalism 's principle of tolerance and open, free discussion.“The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.”
&#8213; John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25320
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

gcaveman1 wrote:
...... braindead lyin brian.......
I disagree with your statement.

'lyin' brian' is of the same lineage as dirtling,'earthling has no brain', eart hling(alien has no affinity to Earth), injun killer(has no love for human beings). Both are of a lineage, centered somewhere beyond the Alpha Centauri star system. Functionality has been accomplished without resort to a brain! Quite a stunning feat!

Therefore, it is obvious that 'lyin' brian' cannot be brain dead.

I know, I know. Too much information about zero quality lifeforms. But sometimes one must sacrifice Hobbit folk gentleness, to correct assumptions.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25321
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

frontporchreactionary wrote:
gcaveman1, "We must stop feeding the trolls.
YOU must conclude, very soon, that logic and evidence do not work on braindead lyin brian." I stand with John Stuart Mill and positive liberalism 's principle of tolerance and open, free discussion.“The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.”
&#8213; John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
Have it your way. But yours and Mills' tolerance and open, free discussion will be one-sided.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25322
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Congress continues to refuse to pass a carbon tax; we're in the mainstream and climate change mitigation is a hoax.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25323
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Brian_G wrote:
Congress continues to refuse to pass a carbon tax; we're in the mainstream and climate change mitigation is a hoax.
No' you're not and no, it isn't.

Congress refuses to do much of anything. Some of them are kissing the tea party's ass, some of them are kissing the fossil fuel industry's ass, and some of them don't know whose ass to kiss.

You're in there with the fossil fuel ass-kissers.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25324
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

3

I use fossil fuel, I'm part of that market. Just like any American that enjoys air conditioning and popcorn.

I'm glad the Republicans are blocking new taxes. That's why they were elected.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25325
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]I use fossil fuel.....Just like any American that enjoys air conditioning and popcorn.
I'm glad the Republicans are blocking new taxes. That's why they were elected.[/QUOTE]

Usually, don't need a/c here. Ol' guy next door installed a/c. Its not on, the vast majority of times. Very glad too, since he put his noise machine right across from our front door way. When it does get hot & we have our door open, we get extra noise & heat from the heat exchanger. Yeah, most people who waste energy, don't consider other people...... present OR future generations....... like 'lyin' brian'.

Yes, vote for re-pubic-lick-uns, if you like nothing done, except for a poorly conducted war. re-pubic-lick-uns are too busy (lick)ing each others (pubic)s......(re)peatedly.... .. re-pubic-lick-uns.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25328
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

4

Brian_G wrote:
I use fossil fuel, I'm part of that market. Just like any American that enjoys air conditioning and popcorn.
I'm glad the Republicans are blocking new taxes. That's why they were elected.
I agree and I think you're right. Most aren't buying what the AGWs are selling. Follow the money.
Kyle

Cromwell, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25329
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Kyle hasn't cited a peer reviewed experiment testing climate change mitigation. I oppose climate taxes, leave my carbon alone. Emitting CO2 is fun and profitable.
You forfeited the right to peddle this crap because we've refuted it ten ways from Sunday and your only responses have been non sequiturs and your autistic parrot imitation. You're obviously at the point of cut-n-pasting your BS.
Your concession is accepted yet again.[
Kyle

Cromwell, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25330
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Brian_G wrote:
Congress continues to refuse to pass a carbon tax; we're in the mainstream and climate change mitigation is a hoax.
Actually, news this week was that Republicans are rapidly conceding to reality and backing action against CC. You're on the wrong side of history AND science.

Besides, you forfeited the right to peddle this crap because we've refuted it ten ways from Sunday and your only responses have been non sequiturs and your autistic parrot imitation. You're obviously at the point of cut-n-pasting your BS.
Your concession is accepted yet again.[
Kyle

Cromwell, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25331
Apr 28, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Brian_G wrote:
I use fossil fuel, I'm part of that market. Just like any American that enjoys air conditioning and popcorn.
I'm glad the Republicans are blocking new taxes. That's why they were elected.
You forfeited the right to peddle this crap because we've refuted it ten ways from Sunday and your only responses have been non sequiturs and your autistic parrot imitation. You're obviously at the point of cut-n-pasting your BS.
Your concession is accepted yet again.[

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••