Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation. Full Story
Kyle

Kendallville, IN

#24227 Mar 8, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
As Chicken Little would say," I only said the sky was falling, I didn't say when. It came to me in a SCIENTIFIC REPORT that I read."
You wrote the "s" word! Maybe you've got some science? Hmmm?
Capt Crunch

Cave Creek, AZ

#24228 Mar 8, 2013
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
You wrote the "s" word! Maybe you've got some science? Hmmm?
A little science, like a little knowledge, can be a scary, if not dangerous thing, It can cause the outgrowth of huge beaks, long tail feathers and an appetite for margaritas and crackers.It can also bring on s complete and fanatical faith in some great and imminent unknown' The solution to such a quandary nay result in a bisposal of all worldly goods, and retirement to a small ice cave in Antartica. Beware those things that go bump in the night.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#24229 Mar 8, 2013
BEWARE: It took just 100 years for the global average temperature to change by 1.3 degrees, when it had taken 5,000 years to do that before.

What happened?

After the end of the ice age, our planet got warmer. Then, 5,000 years ago, it started to get cooler but really slowly. In all, it cooled 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit, up until the last century or so. Then it flipped again global average temperature shot up.

"Temperatures now have gone from that cold period to the warm period in just 100 years," Marcott says.

So it's taken just 100 years for the average temperature to change by 1.3 degrees, when it took 5,000 years to do that before.

Why? Man-made greenhouse gases that are released into the atmosphere in vast amounts daily. Now, 90,000,000 tons of CO2 each day.

"The climate changes to come are going to be larger than anything that human civilization and agriculture has seen in its entire existence. And that is quite a sobering thought." [Gavin Schmidt, a climate researcher at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies]
Capt Crunch

Cave Creek, AZ

#24230 Mar 8, 2013
Does a 'sobering thought' nean a release from the euphoric mantra of the "We all gonna die" religion?
Kyle

Kendallville, IN

#24231 Mar 8, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
A little science, like a little knowledge, can be a scary, if not dangerous thing, It can cause the outgrowth of huge beaks, long tail feathers and an appetite for margaritas and crackers.It can also bring on s complete and fanatical faith in some great and imminent unknown' The solution to such a quandary nay result in a bisposal of all worldly goods, and retirement to a small ice cave in Antartica. Beware those things that go bump in the night.
Allow me to translate that for those not fluent in denialist BS:
TRANS: I got nothin'. No science at all. So watch me tap dance:
I don't know how much science you know, but I'll claim w/o evidence that it's little. Generic Argument from Ridicule. Blatant projection and lie that I'm the one whose faith (dogmatic beliefs) is preventing rational assessment or evidence. Lame repetition of yet another retarded Argument from Consequences.
--------
So, no science from you, either. What a shocker.
Kyle

Kendallville, IN

#24232 Mar 8, 2013
Come on, you mental midgets! Post some science or honestly concede.
WTF

Chicago, IL

#24233 Mar 8, 2013
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
And Exxon Mobil and the Koch's would, too, being that they give millions to those who've created the denial movement.
So you're another loon that can manufacture a huge, impossible conspiracy backing the science but can't see the open one opposing it, right?
Wow! You are one angry person. I was just answering your question on how Al Gore could get scientist to go along with global warming. I just presented a plausible option.
Do you not agree that some scientist like other people can be influenced by money?
Capt Crunch

Cave Creek, AZ

#24234 Mar 8, 2013
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! You are one angry person. I was just answering your question on how Al Gore could get scientist to go along with global warming. I just presented a plausible option.
Do you not agree that some scientist like other people can be influenced by money?
When science is posited as God the Omniscient, it will eventually gather a following of True Beleivers , fanatics who will slash their backs with hook embedded leather thongs to prove the verity of their cause. Admittedly there is an amount of insanity involved, but that is a necessary ingredient of a fanatical movement. So, be not disturbed, this also shall pass.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#24235 Mar 8, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
When science is posited as God the Omniscient, it will eventually gather a following of True Beleivers , fanatics who will slash their backs with hook embedded leather thongs to prove the verity of their cause. Admittedly there is an amount of insanity involved, but that is a necessary ingredient of a fanatical movement. So, be not disturbed, this also shall pass.
Why don't you try to comprehend what I posted instead of yourself making things up?

Is it too hard for you to go against your BELIEFS?
Capt Crunch

Cave Creek, AZ

#24236 Mar 8, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you try to comprehend what I posted instead of yourself making things up?
Is it too hard for you to go against your BELIEFS?
I am surprised in that the Earth, and possibly the entire universe is on an unvaring clock, in that if it take X numbrer of years to complete one cycle, then it will take thew same number of years to complete another, different cycle. If this is what your Science tells you, then I suggest a new look at whom you listen to. I have little patience with fools, and unquestioning fools are the worst.

Since: Mar 09

Port Isabel, TX

#24237 Mar 8, 2013
It seems that CCS is no panacea. Without massive government subsidies it is a non-starter. There are better ways. We already see king coal knocked off its throne and natural gas move to the front. Solar and wind beat even NG. Things are a changin'!
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/take/why-carb...
CRASSUS

West Des Moines, IA

#24238 Mar 8, 2013
me and my trailer disagree
Capt Crunch

Cave Creek, AZ

#24239 Mar 8, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
It seems that CCS is no panacea. Without massive government subsidies it is a non-starter. There are better ways. We already see king coal knocked off its throne and natural gas move to the front. Solar and wind beat even NG. Things are a changin'!
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/take/why-carb...
When beggers ride horses, we all will be kings.
Capt Crunch

West Des Moines, IA

#24240 Mar 8, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
When beggers ride horses, we all will be kings.
I like the taste of horsemeat
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#24241 Mar 8, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
I am surprised in that the Earth, and possibly the entire universe is on an unvaring[sick] clock, in that if it take X numbrer[sic] of years to complete one cycle, then it will take thew[sick] same number of years to complete another, different cycle. If this is what your Science tells you, then I suggest a new look at whom you listen to. I have little patience with fools, and unquestioning fools are the worst.
Your sentences don't make sense.

Actually, I'm the one who's reminding you to be questioning.

Again, your comprehension is suffering badly.
Capt Crunch

Cave Creek, AZ

#24242 Mar 8, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Your sentences don't make sense.
Actually, I'm the one who's reminding you to be questioning.
Again, your comprehension is suffering badly.
Thankfully, my comphrehesion keeps e from accepting everything that is proclaimrd to be THE TRUTH as an accurate description of reality. I accept Platos description of reality much more readily Tham of those whose need to write a paper exceeds their knowledge.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#24243 Mar 8, 2013
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully, my comphrehesion[sic] keeps e[sic] from accepting everything[?] that is proclaimrd[sic] to be THE TRUTH as an accurate description of reality. I accept Platos[sic] description of reality much more readily Tham[sic] of those whose need to write a paper[?] exceeds their knowledge.
haha what are you saying?

As to Plato, we have little idea of what he said. We just have English writers in love with him, attributing words to Plato. There were no English at the time and Plato did not speak in English.

Why did he write this on papirus? Because he lacked knowledge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P._Oxy._LII...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#24244 Mar 8, 2013
The earth is hotter today than it has been for nearly all of the last 11,000 years, scientists have found, in a study that adds confirmation that human activity is causing the warming.

Previous research had only tracked the last 1,500 years, so the new research is important because it establishes a much larger context for recent global warming.

What that context shows is that the rate of warming "over the past 150 years is much greater than anything we saw in the past 11,000 years," according to Shaun Marcott, a paleoclimatologist and the lead investigator on the research, published in Science.

That "points to human activity as the cause, because the suddenness of the shift in temperature appears to be out of whack with long-term trends," as the Wall Street Journal concedes.

The findings are based on measurements taken from marine fossils, ice cores, and marine organisms.

MORE: It took just 100 years for the global average temperature to change by 1.3 degrees, when it had taken 5,000 years to do that before.

What happened?

After the end of the ice age, our planet got warmer. Then, 5,000 years ago, it started to get cooler but really slowly. In all, it cooled 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit, up until the last century or so. Then it flipped again global average temperature shot up.

"Temperatures now have gone from that cold period to the warm period in just 100 years," Marcott says.

So it's taken just 100 years for the average temperature to change by 1.3 degrees, when it took 5,000 years to do that before.

Why? Man-made greenhouse gases that are released into the atmosphere in vast amounts daily. Now, 90,000,000 tons of CO2 each day.

"The climate changes to come are going to be larger than anything that human civilization and agriculture has seen in its entire existence. And that is quite a sobering thought." [Gavin Schmidt, a climate researcher at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies]
Ralph

Saint Paul, MN

#24245 Mar 8, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
The earth is hotter today than it has been for nearly all of the last 11,000 years, scientists have found, in a study that adds confirmation that human activity is causing the warming.
Previous research had only tracked the last 1,500 years, so the new research is important because it establishes a much larger context for recent global warming.
What that context shows is that the rate of warming "over the past 150 years is much greater than anything we saw in the past 11,000 years," according to Shaun Marcott, a paleoclimatologist and the lead investigator on the research, published in Science.
That "points to human activity as the cause, because the suddenness of the shift in temperature appears to be out of whack with long-term trends," as the Wall Street Journal concedes.
The findings are based on measurements taken from marine fossils, ice cores, and marine organisms.
MORE: It took just 100 years for the global average temperature to change by 1.3 degrees, when it had taken 5,000 years to do that before.
What happened?
OK, so earth is being warmed by human activity.

So why has the Minnesota winter been colder than normal?

It's easy to claim the earth is burning up getting hotter each year then how can it magically cool down this year?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#24246 Mar 8, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so earth is being warmed by human activity.
So why has the Minnesota winter been colder than normal?
It's easy to claim the earth is burning up getting hotter each year then how can it magically cool down this year?
I'm not an expert of your state. I've been there only twice but never in winter. Just saying.

I did this search for you to look up any of the links:

http://www.google.com/search...

P.S. Needless to say the temperatures have ups and downs but still produce an upward trend. You should know that as an elementary fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Liberal New York City Deserves Ebola 4 hr Ebola Van Jones 1
ebola in nyc!!!!!!!!!! 6 hr Space ace 3
New York physician tests positive for Ebola 7 hr Ebola Van Jones O... 3
Autopsy reports on Ferguson Shooting 7 hr Tang Wong Chew 5
Obama Owns Ebola 10 hr cantmakeitup 48
He fled, fired -- and died (Feb '07) 11 hr Tang Wong Chew 161
Racist Seahawks don't think Russell Wilson is b... 11 hr Tang Wong Chew 2
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis Jobs