The Myth Of The $634 Million Obamacar...

The Myth Of The $634 Million Obamacare Website

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Schmahl Spew

Orlando, FL

#1 Oct 24, 2013
The life of the $600 million figure appears to be the latest example of how misinformation is fermented within the right-wing media and then adopted as quasi-policy by the Republican Party. After all, Rep. Camp is holding a hearing specifically to determine why the government's $600 million health care website doesn't work, even though the site didn't cost $600 million.

The eye-popping $634 million figure was first trumpeted in a piece by Andrew Couts at Digital Trends on October 8. It pointed out that the Montreal-based company awarded the contract to build healthcare.gov , CGI Federal, had received $634 million in government contracts related to health care.(Digital Trends later amended the article and lowered the figure to "more than $500 million" that was allegedly spent "to build the digital equivalent of a rock.")

~~
~~

Independently, the Sunlight Foundation estimated it cost $70 million to build the much-maligned website, not $634 million.(Officially, CGI was awarded a $93 million contract for the healthcare.gov job.)

~~
~~

Despite those red flags, the bloated figure has been widely embraced as factual within the conservative press.
Devon

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 25, 2013
hey dude. give credit where credit is due. you copied an article from http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/24/the-m...

everyone knows that there is nothing political about media matters. and a blog from media matters is as factual as you get.

well, I gotta get to my Obama for America fundraising meeting. but next time tell the people when you plagiarize something.
Arch on Larch

Detroit, MI

#4 Oct 25, 2013
These right wing nuts get awfully mad when confronted with facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Worst movie of all time 1 hr WildLifeLover 3
Democrats call for impeachment 3 hr Space ace 76
Dems lose montana special election 4 hr Waikiki Vermin 11
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) Sun WHAT 36,895
Davy crockett fake news May 27 Phineus 16
Aaron- Mortalenama May 26 Eat BBQ 1
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) May 25 WildLifeLover 700

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance