St. Paul Macy's to close, sources say

Jan 2, 2013 Full story: TwinCities 43

The planned closure of Macy's, which occupies a city block between Wabasha and Cedar streets and Sixth Street and West Seventh Place, will leave a big void in the heart of downtown St.

Full Story
Clint

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jan 5, 2013
PB in Saint Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it would be wiser..... exactly why the city won't do that. They'll end up owning the space. Maybe turn it into one big city-owned parking ramp, so it doesn't compete with their Pennfield project..... and of course if it's city-owned, no taxes.
That IS the biggest fault of Government projects. They don't pay taxes AND they consume taxes. Because if a city parking garage is built there will be Government workers employed to run the ramp. those Government employees are overpaid and will add to the costs of Government, increasing taxes once again.

Of course Government loves that because it allows them to expand their empire adding more management jobs increasing taxes even more.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#22 Jan 5, 2013
Get a government job, if you're so convinces you're on a losing team, dumdums....

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#23 Jan 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I moved to St. Paul in January 1995 from Des Moines. The cities were very similar -- at 5pm, it shuts down retail-wise.
I lived in St Paul from early in the 1950's until recently and now recide in Western Wesconsin. You don't appear to have improved you position much, I on the other hand have!
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#24 Jan 7, 2013
You recide in Western Wesconsin???

Be pretty hard to call your "advice" valuable, given the obvious...
Carl Bernstein

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Jan 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I also heard this on the news this morning, and they didn't say Target is interested, it was just something put forth by the talking heads.
And neither the Star Tribune nor the St. Paul Pioneer Press is saying in their coverage of thsi story that Target has any interest.
Hel1, the Pioneer Press has so much unused space they are looking for tenants to take over a large part of their building. That Macy's buildi g will not stay as retail space.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Jan 7, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
You recide in Western Wesconsin???
Be pretty hard to call your "advice" valuable, given the obvious...
Correcting other's spelling again are we mr low integrity poster? Maybe someone will make a lowball offer for the Macy's building. Maybe the government will be a shoo-in to take the building over.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#27 Jan 7, 2013
Correcting other's spelling again are we (comma)...

Too bad, you're clearly stupid and resent the correction...PS- Work on the stupid.
Carl Bernstein

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Jan 7, 2013
Amused Slew wrote:
Correcting other's spelling again are we (comma)...
Too bad, you're clearly stupid and resent the correction...PS- Work on the stupid.
If you lose the comma after bad and change the ellipse to a period, your first sentence would be adequate.
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Jan 7, 2013
Macy's was nothing but a Government department store. St Paul wasted $9,000,000 on a direct subsidy that kept the doors open.

Nobody shops downtown. Who wants to drive into a dirty city, park in a criminal infested parking ramp, tolerate sidewalks infested with more criminals who want to sell you drugs or mug you, buy stuff and then worry about making it back o your car without being mugged or raped in the parking ramp while you attempt to load your items into the car. AND THEN do it all over to return stuff.

Meanwhile most normal famlies live in the suburbs that are served by clean safe well lit shopping malls that don't even allow young kids to enter the malls unless adults are with them.

Maybe the Met Council needs expansion space, they will be adding probably 10,000 employees now that the Legislature and Governor are DFL?

LET THE SPENDING BEGIN!!!!
non-schmahl

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Jan 7, 2013
Lowell wrote:
Macy's was nothing but a Government department store. St Paul wasted $9,000,000 on a direct subsidy that kept the doors open.
Nobody shops downtown. Who wants to drive into a dirty city, park in a criminal infested parking ramp, tolerate sidewalks infested with more criminals who want to sell you drugs or mug you, buy stuff and then worry about making it back o your car without being mugged or raped in the parking ramp while you attempt to load your items into the car. AND THEN do it all over to return stuff.
Meanwhile most normal famlies live in the suburbs that are served by clean safe well lit shopping malls that don't even allow young kids to enter the malls unless adults are with them.
Maybe the Met Council needs expansion space, they will be adding probably 10,000 employees now that the Legislature and Governor are DFL?
Like you would know what normal is.
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#31 Jan 7, 2013
non-schmahl wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you would know what normal is.
You have but one comment, the remaining post hits the nail right on the head.

Thanks for your endorsement.
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#32 Jan 7, 2013
Lowell wrote:
The DFL is refreshing in that they are saying taxes will go up.

NO beating around the bush.
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#33 Jan 8, 2013
I guess somebody has to clean up the financial mess that the epublicans left Minnesota in.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#34 Jan 8, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>I lived in St Paul from early in the 1950's until recently and now recide in Western Wesconsin. You don't appear to have improved you position much, I on the other hand have!
Yeah, but you're still a dickhead.

Location hidden

#35 Jan 8, 2013
Carl Bernstein wrote:
<quoted text>
If you lose the comma after bad and change the ellipse to a period, your first sentence would be adequate.
Thanks Carl, but really adequate??

Location hidden

#36 Jan 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but you're still a dickhead.
better than being an azzwipe who has to work for living sucking up to people like me!!
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#38 Jan 8, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>better than being an azzwipe who has to work for living sucking up to people like me!!
Poor "di-sposal unit/Trolls"...

Location hidden

#39 Jan 8, 2013
Yawn,, Well I see most of those left on here today are the children, so like the rest of the adults, I guess I head for home.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#40 Jan 8, 2013
Poor "di-sposal unit/Trolls"... Thanks, you made it EZ ! LMAOROTFU~!
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#41 Jan 8, 2013
Lowell wrote:
I guess somebody has to clean up the financial mess that the epublicans left Minnesota in.
Can't lick them join them...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marriage Man and a Woman 1 hr LIbEralS 10
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr litesong 32,781
Ebola Spreads to Texas 2 hr Billy 3
Why? 2 hr Billy 7
Elizabeth warren 6 hr Zoey Jaja 10
Beheading suspect likely radicalized in jail ... 7 hr cowboy chris 2
Black Bear Fights Back During Vicious Murder 7 hr Tang Wong Chew 1

Minneapolis Jobs

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE