St. Paul Macy's to close, sources say

Jan 2, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TwinCities

The planned closure of Macy's, which occupies a city block between Wabasha and Cedar streets and Sixth Street and West Seventh Place, will leave a big void in the heart of downtown St.

Comments
1 - 20 of 43 Comments Last updated Jan 9, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
PB in Saint Paul

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Bet the city will buy it, tear it down, turn it into green space with plenty of bike parking.
Didn't they pay Macy's a big chunk a few years ago to keep them there? Not enough, I guess.
Scooby Slew

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

PB in Saint Paul wrote:
Bet the city will buy it, tear it down, turn it into green space with plenty of bike parking.
Didn't they pay Macy's a big chunk a few years ago to keep them there? Not enough, I guess.
St Paul will turn it into a government building like the old West Publishing building they took over after they chased West out to the suburbs. One more tax paying property of the city tax rolls.
Sam Segal

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

I heard it might become a Target. If that's true I'm sure they will be given a sweet deal at taxpayers expense.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

You lie and hear nothing, John...
Jack Boot

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

And what does BOMA have to say about this?
NOTHING!
Wonderful,just $#@%*ing wondeful!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Sam Segal wrote:
I heard it might become a Target. If that's true I'm sure they will be given a sweet deal at taxpayers expense.
Target has no plans to move into that space.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing the taxes would be far too prohibitive. For another, Target likes to lease new buildings from investors on a net lease basis so they don't have lots of their money tied up in real estate.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

PB in Saint Paul wrote:
looking at GoogleEarth. the building has parking spacing in it. it would not be to the benefit of folks to have it torn down. be better if the store space somehow were made into loft apartments
Sam Segal

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Just repeating what I heard on the local news this morning.
Where did you get your "Inside Info?"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Whomever marked my post with a "disagree," Target is my biggest client. We engineer their new buildings and their remodels. Trust me. Target has no interest in that location.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

I also heard this on the news this morning, and they didn't say Target is interested, it was just something put forth by the talking heads.

And neither the Star Tribune nor the St. Paul Pioneer Press is saying in their coverage of thsi story that Target has any interest.
Mattter of FACT

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Coleman will bribe another retailer to move in and exhibit some life in St Paul. An excellent use of taxdollars.

Of course you must understand the BILLION DOLLAR LRT line is coming to St Paul shortly. Macy's knew the LRT will do nothing to help St Paul, gone just left...

St Paul should be demolished and turned into a state park for Minneapolis thugs to use.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Mattter of FACT wrote:
Coleman will bribe another retailer to move in and exhibit some life in St Paul. An excellent use of taxdollars.
Of course you must understand the BILLION DOLLAR LRT line is coming to St Paul shortly. Macy's knew the LRT will do nothing to help St Paul, gone just left...
St Paul should be demolished and turned into a state park for Minneapolis thugs to use.
after the light rail is complete, that is what it will become

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

Mattter of FACT wrote:
The few times I've been in that Macy's in the last few years, it was DEAD, including on a Saturday afternoon in winter. No one is going downtown to shop -- they either GO to the suburbs, or they already live in the 'burbs and shop close to home.

When it was Dayton's, I worked part-time there, and even then it was losing money.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

It joins a long line of retail department stores who have left. Golden Rule, Schuenamens, Emporium. DT St Paul is a waste land, and without the Xcel, the city would be shut down for lack of a heart beat,,,, any heart beat! Keep up the good work DFL/Coleman!
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

It's you cheapskates, who wear dated clothes and don't pay decent wages, to the workers/purchasers...
BAMM

Green Bay, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Whomever marked my post with a "disagree," Target is my biggest client. We engineer their new buildings and their remodels. Trust me. Target has no interest in that location.
And you had to go to the ER to get all of the sea men pumped from your stomach.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Niether of the Above wrote:
It joins a long line of retail department stores who have left. Golden Rule, Schuenamens, Emporium. DT St Paul is a waste land, and without the Xcel, the city would be shut down for lack of a heart beat,,,, any heart beat!
I moved to St. Paul in January 1995 from Des Moines. The cities were very similar -- at 5pm, it shuts down retail-wise.
PB in Saint Paul

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
looking at GoogleEarth. the building has parking spacing in it. it would not be to the benefit of folks to have it torn down. be better if the store space somehow were made into loft apartments
Sure it would be wiser..... exactly why the city won't do that. They'll end up owning the space. Maybe turn it into one big city-owned parking ramp, so it doesn't compete with their Pennfield project..... and of course if it's city-owned, no taxes.
Tyran

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Your biggest client eh? You clean toilets?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flash Flood Watch for Hennepin County was issued at August 21 at 2:33AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••