Education Sec. Duncan promotes Presch...

Education Sec. Duncan promotes Preschool for All to close 'opportunity gap'

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

LIbEralS

Bratislava, Slovakia

#1 Jul 16, 2013
Pity Arne Duncan. No matter the news he’s come to share, whenever the U.S. secretary of education sets foot in Minnesota he’s somehow upstaged by a local.

In Bloomington Tuesday morning to promote a White House proposal that could funnel nearly $39 million to Minnesota preschoolers, Duncan drew a capacity crowd of educators and policymakers to Kennedy High School.

The brand-new director of Minnesota’s relatively new Office of Early Learning, Melvin Carter, stole the secretary’s show and had members of a VIP panel — including the governor — eating out of his hand.

When Duncan made a joke about President Barack Obama giving a summertime audience permission to lose their suit coats, Carter whipped his off with a flourish. Panelists and audience members alike cracked up.

Displaying an understanding of Minnesota’s pre-K landscape that clearly predates his May appointment as the state’s early-ed czar, the former St. Paul City Council member made sure his guests looked good in front of Duncan by serving them dead-on follow-up questions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The end of Madcow 4 min Davycrockett 15
Trump Bashing Emmys Hit Worst Ratings Ever 8 min Truth 10
Rocket Man! 28 min cowboy chris 1
Ohio firefighter: ‘One dog is more important th... 39 min Truth 8
My pillow guy 55 min Cat Fan 66
Maggies Move to Minnesota 1 hr Crassus 5
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 9 hr Logic Is Dead 37,412

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages