Paid My Dues

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Dec 11, 2013
A Savage, Mn. family has been ordered by the city to remove their back yard hockey rink that they have been making every winter for the past 10 years. The reason, disgruntled neighbor, Lori Shippy said the noise from the pucks hitting the boards is scaring the ducks, geese, turkeys and fox from the area wetland. And, the morons with the city agreed and ordered the family to remove the rink by this Friday.

“A Frog's Worst Nightmare”

Since: Oct 13

West Monroe, La

#2 Dec 11, 2013
Why is Ms. Shippy complaining after 10 years? I bet there is something else about the neighbors that bothers this busy-body.
And, someone should tell her and the City of Savage that those critters will come back in the spring!

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 11, 2013
Uncle Si wrote:
Why is Ms. Shippy complaining after 10 years? I bet there is something else about the neighbors that bothers this busy-body.
And, someone should tell her and the City of Savage that those critters will come back in the spring!
Looks like this isn't the first time the neighbor has had a proverbial stick up her rump. Seems that the family has had complaints about it for the last couple of years. As well as the city has claimed that the family's property has part of those wetlands as part of it.
Also, I would have to say that the neighbor is a peta clone.
As for the animals, foxes, turkeys, and some geese do stay around during winter.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/young_naturalists/... Turkeys do not migrate south for the winter. They can find winter food by going to farm fields and eating corn and grain leftover from the fall harvest.
http://www.epa.gov/region1/ge/thesite/restofr... The red fox is a non-migratory species that maintains its territory throughout the year.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/birds/canadagoose.... Many Canada geese stay in Minnesota throughout the winter, although some migrate south to any number of states.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Dec 11, 2013
Change wrote:
Hockey is noisy and can be irritating to people, that is probably what irritates Shippy. Makes ya wonder if a silent puck so the sport can be played without the noise from puck hitting the boards?
Ducks and geese arn't hanging around frozen ponds.
Turkeys have attitude and are probably attacted by the noise, if anything.
Fox are neve seen anyway and coyote are fine critters to have around to kill domestic pets.
I've seen red foxes up in the Brooklyn Park/Champlin area. The ones I saw were in farmer's fields when the land was being farmed.
Bogie Lola

Savage, MN

#8 Dec 12, 2013
I think Lori is great. This is city land anyway, you can't just go building shit wherever you want
Laura

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Dec 12, 2013
Bogie Lola wrote:
I think Lori is great. This is city land anyway, you can't just go building shit wherever you want
The "city" owns nothing.

It's public property that anyone can use.

Think about fish houses on lakes, there are thousands of them on every lake in Minnesota that contains desirable fish.
SO SEXY

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Dec 12, 2013
o eally
Laura

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Dec 13, 2013
Shippy shoud have stayed out east. Minnesota is hockey and freedom country. No need for nosey controlling b*&tches like her.

Since: Dec 13

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Dec 13, 2013
Anyone know if a compromise was even attempted by this neighbor? Like ask if they could put something on the boards near the net, to muffle the sound some.
Bob With A Spear

Colorado Springs, CO

#14 Dec 13, 2013
Anyone who turns their backyard into a noisy hockey rink should have the crap beat out of them on a regular basis.
Paid My Dues

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Dec 13, 2013
Horns High wrote:
Anyone know if a compromise was even attempted by this neighbor? Like ask if they could put something on the boards near the net, to muffle the sound some.
The noise is alleged to bother the animals, not the neighbor. The woman isn't even honest enough to admit that she just can't stand seeing kids having fun!
The kids are in school all day and stop skating at 10 o'clock, so this is just bullying by the city of Savage and a busy-body neighbor.
Laura

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Dec 13, 2013
Paid My Dues wrote:
<quoted text>The noise is alleged to bother the animals, not the neighbor. The woman isn't even honest enough to admit that she just can't stand seeing kids having fun!
The kids are in school all day and stop skating at 10 o'clock, so this is just bullying by the city of Savage and a busy-body neighbor.
Totally agree. Noise laws run from 7 AM 'till 10 PM. Shippy can go back to Boston and wag her tail all she wants. With a name like Shippy she surly wasn't born in Minnesota. Let the kids play and animals are nocturnal anyway. It'd be appropriate if Shippy's little poodle was consumed by a coyote.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gays at the airport 15 min Denny 1
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 50 min red and right 34,013
Chinese Floors Cause Cancer 4 hr Sangelia 12
Muslim Holidays 6 hr Crassus 28
Vehicle License Tabs 7 hr LIbEralS 25
Now THIS IS AMAZING 8 hr Billionaire Dayton 1
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 22 hr sumbich 26,315
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]