12 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#1 Dec 5, 2012
Charles Barkley says carrying gun gives 'sense of peace'
6:54PM EST December 5. 2012 - TNT NBA analyst Charles Barkley, saying he feels safer carrying a gun, says the issue in the wake of the murder-suicide committed Saturday by Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher is domestic violence, not gun control.

"There's never a reason to hit a woman, touch a woman, or obviously kill a woman," Barkley tells USA TODAY Sports.

"I hope people don't (overemphasize) the gun situation. I'm very sensitive to domestic violence because I have a daughter (23-year-old Christiana), and that's just one thing that I cannot accept in any shape or form whatsoever. It's just a crazy situation.

"I don't get into the gun stuff. Some guys have guns who go hunting. Where do we stop (the gun control) at? I'm not a hunter, but we can't say people can't have guns.... Let's not make this thing about guns. Let's make this about mistreating women. That's unacceptable."

Barkley is oIn an already-taped episode of Costas Tonight, airing on the NBC Sports Network cable channel Thursday (9 p.m. ET), joined by host Bob Costas and tennis legend John McEnroe.

On the show, Barkley says he's "carried a gun in my car, every day of my life since I was 21 or 22 -- never had to use it."

Costas has already drawn attention for suggesting, during NBC's Sunday night NFL coverage, that Belcher and his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins would be alive if Belcher didn't have a gun.

Tuesday, Costas was on The Dan Patrick Show and explained he had made a "mistake" in addressing the topic in the 90-second NBC segment because he didn't "have enough time" to raise related issues.

On Costas Tonight, Barkley addresses broader issues. He says, "Especially in the black culture, it's a crime culture. We, as black people, and I always say 'we', we won't have respect, we don't have respect for each other. We have more black men in prison than we do in college, and crime in our neighborhoods is running rampant. I know everybody reacts when something like the Belcher thing happens. But being black, this is something you deal with all the time, and it's just sad. I'm a guy and I carry a gun."

Would he use it? Says Barkley: "I feel a sense of peace when I have it with me, but it would take extreme circumstances for me to even touch it."

McEnroe says he feels "safer" by not carrying a gun.

And while Costas in Thursday's show says he "didn't say anything specifically about gun control legislation or the second amendment" in his Sunday segment, McEnroe talks about his support for some sort of gun control: "That's why someone like Mayor Bloomberg, in New York City, where I live, has advocated, I think rightly, that we get as many guns off the street."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnis...
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#3 Dec 5, 2012
Bob Schmahl wrote:
Carrying a gun gave quite a sense of peace to that 2 year old in Minneapolis today.
I wonder how the man who was stabbed in the seattle metro feels, oh wait you would know nothing about that
http://federalway.komonews.com/news/crime/791...
CRASSUS

Neenah, WI

#4 Dec 5, 2012
I love the smell of gun powder on a chilly winter morning. Plus you never know when you might get to legally shoot someone.
Cloud 9

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Dec 5, 2012
Bob Schmahl wrote:
Carrying a gun gave quite a sense of peace to that 2 year old in Minneapolis today.
Or the man shoved into the path of a train in NYC.

Crime comes in many different forms.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Dec 5, 2012
Bob Schmahl wrote:
The father of that child broke the law. The gun was supposed to be locked and the ammunition stored in a separate place. Minneapolis has had gun lock giveaways. What a needless tragedy.

To anyone who has a gun in their home and think the kids are unaware of it, they know exactly where it is.

Barkley is correct. What happened in KC is about domestic violence, nit guns.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#7 Dec 5, 2012
"nit guns"

Now if you said it was domestic violence with a gun, you're have a point, rather than a dull dip wad head....
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#8 Dec 5, 2012
You "picked" a great spokesman ???

"The officer identified the driver of the 2005 Infiniti as Charles Barkley," according to a written statement from police. "Mr. Barkley was administered the standard field sobriety tests after the odor of intoxicating liquor was detected." Video Watch: Barkley 'disappointed' by arrest ยป

At a news conference later in the day, Shuhandler said Barkley's "performance on the field sobriety test revealed there was probable cause to make an arrest."

Barkley declined to take a breath test to measure his blood-alcohol level, Shuhandler said earlier.

"When he arrived at the station, police administered a blood test, which is customary of our police department to do," he said, adding that Barkley consented to the blood test.

It will take "a few days" for the crime lab to test the blood sample and determine Barkley's blood-alcohol level, Shuhandler said.

The former NBA power forward was cited for driving while impaired and released.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#9 Dec 5, 2012
News FLASH- Violent man likes GUNS !!! LMAOROTFU~!

However, "Sir Charles" Barkley also has a bit of a violent streak. During his basketball career, he was often fined for on-court fights with other players, such as Shaquille O'Neal. In 1997 he was arrested for throwing a man through a glass window at a bar after being struck with a glass of ice. Barkley was charged with aggravated battery and resisting arrest and was sentenced to community service. Six years before that incident, Barkley had been charged with assault for allegedly punching a man in the face but was acquitted.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#10 Dec 8, 2012
why is slew so full of hate
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#11 Dec 8, 2012

However, "Sir Charles" Barkley also has a bit of a violent streak. During his basketball career, he was often fined for on-court fights with other players, such as Shaquille O'Neal. In 1997 he was arrested for throwing a man through a glass window at a bar after being struck with a glass of ice. Barkley was charged with aggravated battery and resisting arrest and was sentenced to community service. Six years before that incident, Barkley had been charged with assault for allegedly punching a man in the face but was acquitted.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#12 Dec 8, 2012
Why is Schmahl ? Far as I can see, the voices in your head make you useless.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#13 Dec 8, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
Why are you so full of hate
CRASSUS

Neenah, WI

#14 Dec 8, 2012
When I see a Jigger coming my way, I put my hand on my piece in case he disses me. That includes a cross eyed look.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 2 hr Go Blue Forever 525
Vote for Hillary 23 hr Cruel Hillary 8
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) Sat Actual Science 35,576
the NON affordable care act (Oct '13) Sat LIbEralS 280
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug 26 Cary Cottle 5
Welcome To Minnesota Mr. Trump Aug 20 LIbEralS 3
News Prison sentence for notable defense attorney Sa... (May '11) Aug 19 Post them 19

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages