Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Some local cancer patients say they’re scared they won’t be able to afford chemotherapy since a regional medical practice announced it no longer will treat Medicare beneficiaries because of federal spending cuts.

But two area congressmen say they’ll help people get the drugs they need, and the owner of Manchester Memorial and Rockville General hospitals says oncology patients can receive cancer drugs at those facilities “regardless of their ability to pay.”

Medical Oncology and Blood Disorders LLC, a community cancer clinic with offices in Hartford, Manchester, and Vernon, last month wrote its Medicare patients that it would “not be able” to treat them after the automatic federal spending cuts known as “sequestration” took effect Monday.

The clinic said that the cuts would lead to a 2 percent reduction in the Medicare payments it received.

But it added that the “real impact” of the cuts would be “greater than 2 percent” because many cancer drugs “will end up costing more than what we are paid to give them to our patients.”

The clinic asked its patients to join in fighting “these destructive sequester cuts to cancer care,” in part by contacting the president and congressmen.

Rep. John B. Larson, D-1st District, and Rep. Joseph D. Courtney, D-2nd District, said Monday that they would work to help any Medicare beneficiary having trouble getting treatment.

They added that they also are trying to resolve any problems with the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicare Services, Connecticut’s state healthcare advocate, and the Manchester-based health system that services 19 area towns, Eastern Connecticut Health Network.

“I voted against sequestration because I believes these cuts were an ill-advised way to address our fiscal problems,” Larson said.“Despite these budgetary concerns, no patient should have to worry about receiving cancer treatment.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Some local cancer patients say they’re scared they won’t be able to afford chemotherapy since a regional medical practice announced it no longer will treat Medicare beneficiaries because of federal spending cuts.

But two area congressmen say they’ll help people get the drugs they need, and the owner of Manchester Memorial and Rockville General hospitals says oncology patients can receive cancer drugs at those facilities “regardless of their ability to pay.”

Medical Oncology and Blood Disorders LLC, a community cancer clinic with offices in Hartford, Manchester, and Vernon, last month wrote its Medicare patients that it would “not be able” to treat them after the automatic federal spending cuts known as “sequestration” took effect Monday.

The clinic said that the cuts would lead to a 2 percent reduction in the Medicare payments it received.

But it added that the “real impact” of the cuts would be “greater than 2 percent” because many cancer drugs “will end up costing more than what we are paid to give them to our patients.”

The clinic asked its patients to join in fighting “these destructive sequester cuts to cancer care,” in part by contacting the president and congressmen.

Rep. John B. Larson, D-1st District, and Rep. Joseph D. Courtney, D-2nd District, said Monday that they would work to help any Medicare beneficiary having trouble getting treatment.

They added that they also are trying to resolve any problems with the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicare Services, Connecticut’s state healthcare advocate, and the Manchester-based health system that services 19 area towns, Eastern Connecticut Health Network.

“I voted against sequestration because I believes these cuts were an ill-advised way to address our fiscal problems,” Larson said.“Despite these budgetary concerns, no patient should have to worry about receiving cancer treatment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maids reveal Michael Jackson’s filth and perver... 31 min Cowboy Chris 12
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 33 min LIbEralS 32,345
Debate: Ferguson - Minneapolis, MN 36 min George Washington 8
5 Children Murdered After They Were Deported Ba... 44 min Sven Einersen 27
Religion of peace 46 min Think about it 4
Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've se... 1 hr Sven Einersen 32
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 2 hr LIbEralS 230

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
•••
•••