For Somali interpreter, there's no su...

For Somali interpreter, there's no such thing as 9 to 5

There are 61 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 8, 2010, titled For Somali interpreter, there's no such thing as 9 to 5. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

He takes a quick peek at the screen. "Courtroom 1056 ..." he mouths aloud. Elmi, a Somali interpreter, has picked up another client.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Tracy

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Aug 9, 2010
This will be an ugly thread.
ready set go

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Aug 9, 2010
May the bigotry begin....
good idea

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Aug 9, 2010
Good to know there are interpretative standards being set to govern this court role.
But I wonder who monitors the interpreters' work? There must have to be some oversight to ensure ethical practices. I remember the Ramsey County courts discovering that a Hmong male interpreter was slanting court testimony as he injected his male cultural perspective into a rape trial by protecting the accused male rather than acting objectively. He did not accurately relay the responses that would have better supported the victim in that case.
FilmAtTen

AOL

#4 Aug 9, 2010
ready set go wrote:
No, let the truth be told. Ready, set, go..........

Since: Apr 08

Minneapolis

#5 Aug 9, 2010
The Minnesota democrats have long had a scheme to keep our exceptionally generous welfare benififts in hopes of eventually getting more democratic votes in Minnesota elections. It's good to see the costs this involves. Last I heard a quarter of welfare cases in Hennepin County were immigrants.
Bob Williams

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Aug 9, 2010
Excuse me, but my taxes in Minnesota are so low I feel I should donate to building a Muslim place of worship in one of our sanctuary cities. Where do I donate? NOT!
edwardeubanks

United States

#7 Aug 9, 2010
Bob Williams wrote:
Excuse me, but my taxes in Minnesota are so low I feel I should donate to building a Muslim place of worship in one of our sanctuary cities. Where do I donate? NOT!
What is the point of your post?

Seriously folks, we have freedom of speech in this country, but maybe the first thing we tell our children is that we use that freedom responsibly. Don't yell fire in a crowded theater, try to say something nice, and when you have nothing of import to add to a conversation shut the hell up.
FL Guy

Cambridge, MN

#8 Aug 9, 2010
Another towelhead terrorist in training?
Peter

Houston, TX

#9 Aug 9, 2010
edwardeubanks wrote:
<quoted text>What is the point of your post?
Seriously folks, we have freedom of speech in this country, but maybe the first thing we tell our children is that we use that freedom responsibly. Don't yell fire in a crowded theater, try to say something nice, and when you have nothing of import to add to a conversation shut the hell up.
Yes, we believe in freedom. We believe in all sorts of important things now that we've built a modern society of tolerance and freedom. And that's the point. Immigration from places that are horribly at odds with our values is a mistake. Yes, use freedom responsibly by protecting it and protecting it includes being careful about immigration. Somehow, however, I bet that isn't in the least what you had in mind.

Funny though, you feel the need to chide someone over a remark. In doing so, you're trying to protect our culture in a small way. But think about that. You see reason for concern in a comment, but then NO reason for concern bringing people into the country with 7th century values. Gosh, what do you suppose is in the typical Somali's head when it comes to, say, attitudes towards women? How about freedom itself? How about religious tolerance? You can't credibly worry about a little comment AND support Somali immigration.
NUTSTO

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Aug 9, 2010
Thank God. Now more of these folks will understand the phrase Go Home!. It would be different if these folks would assimilate, but they don't They wish to maintain their Somali dress and language, while collecting welfare and funds for terrorists, who wish to destroy western culture and christianity, by killing or converting us. Have no fear folks , as those Minnesota Nice folks will continue to wrap their arms around them , while getting stabbed in the back1
NUTSTO

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Aug 9, 2010
edwardeubanks wrote:
I would hope you would adhere to your own advise!
Mike

Montréal, Canada

#12 Aug 9, 2010
High demand for interpeters, and the taxpayers flip the bill. If this country is not going to standardize the English language, all none Engish speaking people should be required to hire a bilingual Attorny at no cost to the goverment. I dont want all my tax dollars being used to make it all comfi for imigrants, legal or illegal who have no desire to asymilate into this country. I know a Hmong, Mexicans and Somalis, that have been in this country for 5 to 10 years and still cant speak a lick of English It costs us a fortune in specialized assitance for everything they do because it is our resposiblity to do so. I Seen a job on the internet the other day in mendota heights, one requirment was "you had to speak spanish and if you did not know English that was ok". A little descrimination there? The job is on Craigs List. It was written in English.
Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Aug 9, 2010
NUTSTO wrote:
<quoted text> I would hope you would adhere to your own advise!
"Advise"?
ANNI

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Aug 9, 2010
edwardeubanks wrote:
pprriicckkk !! now thats a nice definition of you!

Since: Aug 09

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Aug 9, 2010
Wait...what now?

"Elmi learned English while studying for an undergraduate degree in accounting at an English-language college in Somalia. "

He learned the language BEFORE he came here? That's not possible, Heck, we are told over and over that you can't even be bothered to learn english if you are here for 20+ years, are over 30 years old, or any other number of excuses...
Shine On

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Aug 9, 2010
Oh, I am quite sure he's busy what with the largest somali population outside mogadishu and their arrogant resistance to assimilate and the simple fact that they are manipulative. And of course we the taxpayers pay the guy. Do the somalis appreciate that? Of course not, they have been well trained by their DFL benefactors including the 99.9% in social service agencies. They should appreciate that they don't get their noses, ears, vaginas cut off like they would in the brutal justice of sharia law from their POS homeland. But, of course they are not appreciative of this either.
Not Your Way

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Aug 9, 2010
Tracy wrote:
This will be an ugly thread.
Only to dumb, naive, liberal white women like you. You are the type that I briefly have visions of sharia as a good thing. You would be told to shutup and if not have your tongue cut out. Somalis are NOT liked nor wanted because of their horrendous record of assimilation on all fronts, not the least of which is muslim terrorism.
Not Your Way

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Aug 9, 2010
ready set go wrote:
Nope, not buyin' that BS anymore, it only works in your DFL circle jerks. Come up with something new for the rest of us.
MN guy

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Aug 9, 2010
Ugly indeed, "Not Your Way."
Your comments disgust me. Getting spoon fed all of Glenn Beck's, Sean Hannity's and Sarah Palin's wisdom I see. And sure- before you say me or other "liberals" are spoon-fed, you should know I'm an independent. How about you add something constructive to this thread? Here. I'll do my bit: Before everyone gets all up in arms about what this man provides as an interpreter, just keep this in mind. A person's right to be present in his or her defense is a constitutional right. And that includes being present in language, courts have ruled. But conservatives seem to forget the Constitution when it comes to other people's rights. Freedom of religion? Citizenship birthright? Due process clause as it applies to gay marriage? Ringing any bells. Now "Not Your Way," quit being such a rabid attack dog with no true logic.
Mike

Montréal, Canada

#22 Aug 9, 2010
Did like the comment about their 7th century culture. Thats pretty much hitting it right on the head. Lets let loose a primative violent culture loose in modern US cities and see what kind of monsters we create.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 7 hr Speaking For daOt... 35,850
Wikileaks: dossier "bogus" 11 hr tree hugging hippie 23
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 15 hr WildLifeLover 691
Liberals caught planning violence for inauguration 16 hr Merry Moosmas 26
CNN = Fake News 22 hr Davycrockett 20
Flaming Liberal on ACA healthcare Wed Merry Moosmas 1
John Lewis is NOT a civil rights hero! He's a c... Wed Zephyrus 3

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages