Ohio State 67 / Gophers 64: Gophers f...

Ohio State 67 / Gophers 64: Gophers fall to No. 2 Buckeyes

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 9, 2011, titled Ohio State 67 / Gophers 64: Gophers fall to No. 2 Buckeyes. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

RECAP: Minnesota gave undefeated and No. 2 Ohio State an early scare in Big Ten Conference play on Sunday afternoon after Al Nolen's three-point play on an acrobatic layup and free throw cut an 18-point deficit to three with 44.6 seconds left in the game.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

quigle

Eden Prairie, MN

#1 Jan 9, 2011
Tubby is 27-31 in Big Ten play-what a bust!
Terrible team and coach

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jan 9, 2011
They were competitive today but when you lose consistently against ranked teams who cares? Tubby is a terrible coach and recruiter. Kentucky made him pack his bags when he couldn't win there. Here we're used to losers so he has no pressure to win. Minnesota is loserville with no great coaches or teams. But Tubby fooled many because he won a title with Pitino's recruits. It ain't happening Gopher fools.
quigle

Eden Prairie, MN

#3 Jan 9, 2011
Terrible team and coach wrote:
They were competitive today but when you lose consistently against ranked teams who cares? Tubby is a terrible coach and recruiter. Kentucky made him pack his bags when he couldn't win there. Here we're used to losers so he has no pressure to win. Minnesota is loserville with no great coaches or teams. But Tubby fooled many because he won a title with Pitino's recruits. It ain't happening Gopher fools.
Right on. Being mediocre to poor is fine with MN sports fans. Why does Joel Maturi have a job??. He would have never been hired at the top programs . I gave up on the U years ago
Clint

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Jan 9, 2011
The Minnesota Gophers are very ,very good basketball team . Remember , Tubby Smith and the Gophers beat North Carolina and the West Virginia Mountaineers in back to back games in Puerto Rico . Don't judge the Gophers harshly .... The Gophers will make noise in the NCAA Tournament ... you can mark that down ...+ The Buckeyes and the Purdue Boilermakers are tough on their home courts and they will make a lot of noise in the NCAA Tournament / Go Big Ten Basketball .
the real just another day

Hugo, MN

#5 Jan 9, 2011
just another day in loserville.....
Chuck

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jan 9, 2011
Tubby is a cry baby loser. The Goophs should bring back Bill Mussellcheater. They should also bring back Mitch Lee just to keep the local court system busy acquiting Goopher rapists.

Since: Feb 08

Rochester, MN

#7 Jan 9, 2011
The Gophers need to start putting some W's on the board or they won't get an invite to the tourney. Today's game was the same as always -- confusion in the half court offense, Hoffarber can't get got open to shoot, Sampson playing soft. When Tubby subs in the three freshman with Iverson and Ralph, who's going to score? Was anyone surprised at the end of the game to see Nolen dribble the ball for 10 seconds, then give the ball up for a forced shot -- by a freshman. C'mon guys, you called a timeout --- you gotta do better than that!!
quigle

Eden Prairie, MN

#8 Jan 9, 2011
Clint wrote:
The Minnesota Gophers are very ,very good basketball team . Remember , Tubby Smith and the Gophers beat North Carolina and the West Virginia Mountaineers in back to back games in Puerto Rico . Don't judge the Gophers harshly .... The Gophers will make noise in the NCAA Tournament ... you can mark that down ...+ The Buckeyes and the Purdue Boilermakers are tough on their home courts and they will make a lot of noise in the NCAA Tournament / Go Big Ten Basketball .
You obviously havent seen much of the Gophers this year. They are NIT material Tubby has been underwhelming in 4 years here
quigle

Eden Prairie, MN

#9 Jan 9, 2011
big10guy wrote:
The Gophers need to start putting some W's on the board or they won't get an invite to the tourney. Today's game was the same as always -- confusion in the half court offense, Hoffarber can't get got open to shoot, Sampson playing soft. When Tubby subs in the three freshman with Iverson and Ralph, who's going to score? Was anyone surprised at the end of the game to see Nolen dribble the ball for 10 seconds, then give the ball up for a forced shot -- by a freshman. C'mon guys, you called a timeout --- you gotta do better than that!!
Tubby is a major bust!!
Pat

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 9, 2011
You can draw up plays and coach perfectly, but at the end of the day you need players to make the plays. For example...

Al Nolen - Why heave up a quick 3 (on a VERY important possession during their comeback), when you've missed your other 3's of the game?

Freshman guards - why throw passes out of bounds for no reason?

Hoffarber - why are you constantly curling off of screens when it will not get you open, run off the screen straight and you have your shot.... stupid. Also, learn how to run off screens in general so there's no separation between you and the screener... dumb.

Colton Iverson - why put the ball on the ground if you're going to dribble it off your foot out of bounds? You weren't recruited for your amazing ballhandling ability.. Pass it off and get better positioning.

Rodney Williams - do something.. a dunk is pretty, but learn how to create shots and make them.

Ralph Sampson - I don't even know where to begin, but play with some intensity/strength please. We've seen you do it on occasion before, please try to channel it. If you need antidepressants then I'd advise looking into it.

If you read any of Tubby's comments after the game he obviously is frustrated with his players and has no answer as to why they're playing like middle school girls. I think his hockey style line changes early in the contests are to try and see which group of guys are actually ready to play. I didn't understand why Trevor was sitting so much, though. I can understand if he's winded, but he seemed ready to go at all times. He's the only consistent player on the team this year. He needs to take over the leadership role on the court.
George W

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jan 9, 2011
Tubby is not a bad coach... Better than Munson thats for sure... But, as far as recruiting, who WANTS to come to MN??? Not the top recruits obviously
Chuck

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 10, 2011
Chuck wrote:
Tubby is a cry baby loser. The Goophs should bring back Bill Mussellcheater. They should also bring back Mitch Lee just to keep the local court system busy acquiting Goopher rapists.
Oh no!! Trever Mbakwe now arrested. Tubby has sure recruited a great collection of criminals for his team. Reminds me of the good old days with Mussellcheater, Dutcher and Clems Haskins...a program built on cheating over the last 40 years.

Next step up for this outlaw program is the NCAA death penalty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump on UCLA basketball players: 'I should hav... 21 min Space ace 11
Jews vs muslims whose better 2 hr Space ace 1
Im getting drunk 3 hr Space ace 8
News Al Franken's record, sized up (Oct '14) 16 hr USA now 3rd world 93
Another st.paul murder 19 hr USA now 3rd world 15
Tell the Liberal main stream news to get laid Thu Amp 1
Lancaster Brand Turkey is a RIPOFF (Nov '11) Thu Edward Thomas 9

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance