Ten vie to replace late North St. Paul mayor

Full story: TwinCities.com

Ten residents have filed to be North St. Paul's next mayor. Wednesday marked the end of a weeklong filing period for those interested in the seat.
Comments
1 - 20 of 209 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2013
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
st paul

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 22, 2008
Mike Kuhen could not be a bigger loser. It would be a sad day for No. St. Paul if he were to be elected. He lives in his mothers basement and knows nothing about paying taxes or sucess. He is a thorn in everyones side and he does have an axe to grind, go elsware loser.
Drew Down

Hopkins, MN

#2 May 22, 2008
Geez St. Paul, tell us what you're really feeling.

;-)

Look at it this way; at least you have some options for whom to vote for. There’s got to be somebody worth your vote with that many candidates to choose from. Most places I've lived, including North Saint Paul, you are lucky to get more than just the incumbent on the ballot.
Candidates

Palo Alto, CA

#3 May 22, 2008
If you can't even get their attention to include them in some free publicity, forget them.
It is really great that NSP has choices. And look at it this way, if anyone compares you to your neighbor, Maplewood, you are going to look like a million bucks just for not being Diana Longrie.
YEAH

Fargo, ND

#4 May 22, 2008
He seriously lives in his Mother's Basement at the age of 57? That's crazy.

And to whoever wins may they change SPLICE OF SUMMER back to CRAZY DAYS. Why the heck change the name of the biggest party NSP has after all these years.
my2centsworth

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 22, 2008
Bill Sandberg the person possessed quick wit, charm, and was a good man. I respected and enjoyed him. However, Bill Sandberg the Mayor, lost his appeal to a vast majority of residents 4 or more re-elections ago. He stayed at the party too long and in the process forgot why he had come in the first place. He no longer worked for the people of this city. Our voices were just a distraction because the result of agenda items were already decided upon prior to any Council Meeting. It was those employeed by the city who's desires and decisions took precident. One particular employee, seems to of been granted so many privileges that if not illegal, certainly unethical. City condemns property, this employee is the winning bidder. City buys up property for Hwy 36 project, this employee suddenly is the owner and rents out parking for the construction equipment to the contractors on the Hwy 36 project. The list is endless. Why is all of this important? Two words -Jan Walczak. A vote for Jan is a perpetuation of city employees cutting deals to benefit themselves. A vote for Jan is a continuation of someone who has stayed at the party just a little too long. Remember who rode down Hwy 36 in that open convertible when Hwy 36 was reopened, the two waving to air and taking glory in themselves as the frustrated vehicles behind them finally zoomed past them with a wave of their own involving the middle finger; Bill Sandberg & Jan Walczak.
my2centsworth

Saint Paul, MN

#6 May 22, 2008
YEAH wrote:
He seriously lives in his Mother's Basement at the age of 57? That's crazy.
And to whoever wins may they change SPLICE OF SUMMER back to CRAZY DAYS. Why the heck change the name of the biggest party NSP has after all these years.
Whoever wins??? Well, then hope it's not Jan Walczak, because she's responsible for the name change and reducing the event to one day. For someone who claims to work to promote our cities business, then why take this 50 plus year event away from the business owners and hand it over to students? Quit running this town into the ground.
Johnny Applesauce

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 22, 2008
Splice of summer??? What happened to Crazy Days. Please tell me you can still get a polar cooler at the polar lounge...
abishop

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 22, 2008
I am one of the top three candidates (please) follow my campaiga. I have the common sense and wisdom way beyond my age of 49. to undo the mess. Go to www.northsaintpaulmayor.com to do this.
Look in the Ramsey Review for my position. Look at what the Saint paul Pioneer Press says about me.
Let's talk so I can show you how i can Manage this City.The dog and pony show is over.
What is needed is a tough get things done mayor who is not afraid of anthing. Anyone who knows me will to you that I am one of the most tenacious persons alive and its not all ABOUT Me.
Please use my Email to talk aebishop@msn.com and if you have time I will tell you step by step how the the City is ruining it self into the ground.
Al Bishop Mayoral Canadate. Also Editor of North Saint Paul Topix local news(nowbody wants the job) but don't be to hard on my spelling. Every one gives me a hard time because my responses are not perfect. Progress is better than perfect. right?
abishop

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 22, 2008
Cry me a river about Sandberg. Kindness dose not fee the bulldog. BS

Mayor Sandberg died more than ten year ago. Mike Kuhen the incompitent political hack has an IQ of a CORN DOG and was Pulling The strings. Read his statement in The Ramsey Review He says its to late for retail in the business district. He screwed it up in the late 90's when the did not by the acrage in the middle of downtown from Luger lumber. BECAUSE They were sleeping with Berwald roof who wanted to ad a Non-union part of there company thus doubling the size of the Stinky rotton roofing company. Its all BS I fought this back then and it was a done deal. The City had retail developers interested. Conflicts of interest and smells of greased palms. FOLLOW THE MONEY>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
abishop

Minneapolis, MN

#10 May 22, 2008
WWW.NorthSaintpaulmayor.com
I have less than two months to convince you that you need someone who never gives up quit and has the intellignece and wisdom to make thing mover. Not just a little but I mean wholesale changes that will look like a spring time garden coming to grow. Forget the silly political talk, this is not about ME but about DREAM. One person from nowhere can change your life. Thsi is not a false promise BUT this is what my faith in Christ has taught me. If he is on your side you cant lose. That is what I have lived by. AL Bishop
alrightythen

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 23, 2008
abishop wrote:
Cry me a river about Sandberg. Kindness dose not fee the bulldog. BS
Mayor Sandberg died more than ten year ago. Mike Kuhen the incompitent political hack has an IQ of a CORN DOG and was Pulling The strings. Read his statement in The Ramsey Review He says its to late for retail in the business district. He screwed it up in the late 90's when the did not by the acrage in the middle of downtown from Luger lumber. BECAUSE They were sleeping with Berwald roof who wanted to ad a Non-union part of there company thus doubling the size of the Stinky rotton roofing company. Its all BS I fought this back then and it was a done deal. The City had retail developers interested. Conflicts of interest and smells of greased palms. FOLLOW THE MONEY>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
Al, I admire your spunk and much of what you say is accurate. However Kuehn wasn't the one pulling the strings, but perhaps should be held accountable for going with the flow. Walczak is the one to fear here. Al,I can't vote for you because you're a little out there for me, but appreciate you telling it like it is.
Nottacrat

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 23, 2008
It is the bureaucracy that ultimaely controls the city. The bureaucrats spend their whole day figuring out how they can stay on the public dole and avoid having to get a real job and produce something that people actually want.

Most politicians have the same long term goal -- to land a cushy government job with a fat pension.

So, if there is any candidate who will fire some employees, I'd vote for that person.
OMG

Saint Paul, MN

#13 May 23, 2008
Johnny Applesauce wrote:
Splice of summer??? What happened to Crazy Days. Please tell me you can still get a polar cooler at the polar lounge...
That is too funny!! Had a polar cooler once,not sure I remember much after that.
TtB

Andover, MN

#14 May 23, 2008
Johnny Applesauce wrote:
Splice of summer??? What happened to Crazy Days. Please tell me you can still get a polar cooler at the polar lounge...
I don't know about Polar Cooler, but you can get plenty of STDs at the Polar Lounge!
Drew Down

Hopkins, MN

#15 May 23, 2008
I would like to nominate a candidate for Mayor.

He is bold; his presence is grand wherever he is; he is nationally...no, internationally know; and he has always been a resident of North St. Paul. As a write-in candidate for mayor of North St. Paul, might I suggest..........

The North Saint Paul SNOWMAN!!!

Just imagine the press the city would get, if the Snowman won as a write-in above the candidates currently on the ballot?! Better than checking off,“None of the above”.

;-)
NSP Resident

Walpole, MA

#16 May 23, 2008
Mr. Bishop,

I checked out your website. I was curious to lean more information about North Saint Paul's "gang problem" that you mention on your website.
bill m

United States

#17 May 24, 2008
I don't know all the candidates in the race and as a former NSP citizen who was very active in politics I have some knowledge. Mike Kuhen is a socialist and a busy body. He moves around town and reports violations like trash cans being left out to long. He has no respect for private property and property rights. He is a political hack. Most of NSP problems come from the long history of long time families(ie boys club) running the council. It is similar to what went on in maplewood prior to the overthrow a few yearss back. Watch out though because if those in power lose it, they will do to the NSP mayor what they are doing to Diana longrie in maplewood. THey will lie, cheat and undermine in order to make the mayor look unsuccessful. Jan politically is ok, but she is the most unprofessional person I have ever met or watched. Watch one of the meetings. The other candidates I don't know, but don't vote for any that are teachers or union members. Both these groups have had an excess of power in the city and been a part of the corrupt culture that is there. Pick a strong willed outsider. Stay away from anyone connected to other elected officals, political group, union, teachers, volunteers, and community activists. These people destroy cities and the diginity of city management. Look at Roseville and Maplewood.
abishop

Minneapolis, MN

#18 May 24, 2008
alrightythen wrote:
<quoted text>
Al, I admire your spunk and much of what you say is accurate. However Kuehn wasn't the one pulling the strings, but perhaps should be held accountable for going with the flow. Walczak is the one to fear here. Al,I can't vote for you because you're a little out there for me, but appreciate you telling it like it is.
Spunk? Why don't you talk to me before judging me. I challange you. I will be at the slice of Summer but be advised that you might run out of ideas in a debate with me and then will get angry. In My 49 YEARS traveling this country from one end to the other. One thing I do Know is people.
If its my experience in questio of to get things done, This page is not long enought, But I have managed $65,000.000.00 construction budgets. I am out there to demand that every employee do there job as proffesionals consistant with my city plan, Or their gone. Have you ever Run a buget that big and meet dead lines from the US Government. Am I suppose to hold hands and sing cume by ya with the deadbeats in the City government, not. Fine Vote for Polilitical Hack. That is your right. If you only new my qualifications(there isn no time sir) you would vote for because I am tough. Spunky more like a pit bully on steriods. You got GUTS to debate face to face. I really don't think so.
No nonsens NO BS truth. FYI, your user name is from my reply to your post the other day. Your the guy From Mpls who knows whats best for our city. Thanks "Homer" If your going to play posting games try to be more original with post name. Its obvious. I was going to ban you from this board because of your abusive comment about North Saint Paul and how insignificant we are.
Ok now complain about my spelling again and again how I should act like an editor. Please stop. You are "Homer" posts are easy to check I have blog tools you don't now about stop playing chidish games- got guts Call me. You saw my wesite.
I would not vot for you. You cant vote here nice try though.
abishop

Minneapolis, MN

#19 May 24, 2008
bill m wrote:
I don't know all the candidates in the race and as a former NSP citizen who was very active in politics I have some knowledge. Mike Kuhen is a socialist and a busy body. He moves around town and reports violations like trash cans being left out to long. He has no respect for private property and property rights. He is a political hack. Most of NSP problems come from the long history of long time families(ie boys club) running the council. It is similar to what went on in maplewood prior to the overthrow a few yearss back. Watch out though because if those in power lose it, they will do to the NSP mayor what they are doing to Diana longrie in maplewood. THey will lie, cheat and undermine in order to make the mayor look unsuccessful. Jan politically is ok, but she is the most unprofessional person I have ever met or watched. Watch one of the meetings. The other candidates I don't know, but don't vote for any that are teachers or union members. Both these groups have had an excess of power in the city and been a part of the corrupt culture that is there. Pick a strong willed outsider. Stay away from anyone connected to other elected officals, political group, union, teachers, volunteers, and community activists. These people destroy cities and the diginity of city management. Look at Roseville and Maplewood.
Event though I am Union Canidate, I am conservitive, Strict Constitutional Constructionists, but I am social moderate. I am an idependant thinker and so are you I respect your honest opinion.
alrightythen

Saint Paul, MN

#20 May 25, 2008
abishop wrote:
<quoted text>
Spunk? Why don't you talk to me before judging me. I challange you. I will be at the slice of Summer but be advised that you might run out of ideas in a debate with me and then will get angry. In My 49 YEARS traveling this country from one end to the other. One thing I do Know is people.
If its my experience in questio of to get things done, This page is not long enought, But I have managed $65,000.000.00 construction budgets. I am out there to demand that every employee do there job as proffesionals consistant with my city plan, Or their gone. Have you ever Run a buget that big and meet dead lines from the US Government. Am I suppose to hold hands and sing cume by ya with the deadbeats in the City government, not. Fine Vote for Polilitical Hack. That is your right. If you only new my qualifications(there isn no time sir) you would vote for because I am tough. Spunky more like a pit bully on steriods. You got GUTS to debate face to face. I really don't think so.
No nonsens NO BS truth. FYI, your user name is from my reply to your post the other day. Your the guy From Mpls who knows whats best for our city. Thanks "Homer" If your going to play posting games try to be more original with post name. Its obvious. I was going to ban you from this board because of your abusive comment about North Saint Paul and how insignificant we are.
Ok now complain about my spelling again and again how I should act like an editor. Please stop. You are "Homer" posts are easy to check I have blog tools you don't now about stop playing chidish games- got guts Call me. You saw my wesite.
I would not vot for you. You cant vote here nice try though.
Al, If you want even a sliver of a chance to be elected, you'd be best to stop posting comments/responses, because the average citizen is interpretating them as "a bit out there". Not that's there anything wrong with that. I was trying to be kind in my previous post and let people know there is some truth in what you say about the current NSP administration. I refrained from saying you are a nut case because it would have been rude. May I suggest you get a new "blog tool", because not only am I not Homer, I can and will be voting in this election.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Men who don't like football 14 min Sammie 4
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 11 hr SpaceBlues 32,489
The 1% Should Pay Their Fair Share in Taxes 15 hr Go Blue Forever 30
Obamacare More Unpopular Than Ever 15 hr Sadie 9
Obama: "no strategy" on Isis. 16 hr Wendall 12
Minneapolis: A Hotbed For Radical Islam 16 hr JamesA 77
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 18 hr LMS 26,227
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••