Razing puts end to fight over historic 'junk house' in Lake Elmo

There are 127 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 26, 2010, titled Razing puts end to fight over historic 'junk house' in Lake Elmo. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Linda Hardy had high hopes for renovating this house on her Lake Elmo property, but it was razed Saturday after a five-year battle with neighbors and city officials who considered it an eyesore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Osceola, WI

#1 Jul 27, 2010
My math must be bad, they spent 200k on it and wanted to spend another 330k to bring it up to code. Heck, you could have torn it down and put it back up for 1 tenth of that price. Something is missing.

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

#2 Jul 27, 2010
30 k to demolish it?? What the heck?? Why not have the Fire Dept use it for burning practice? Duh! Or give it to a house moving company, they could have pulled it and sold it?

I don't think this gal ever would have fixed it up, she had her chance and property values decreasing because of sloppy neighbors is certainly not fair. Just sad that tax payers all have to pay for the city counsel's involvement in the situation.
Truth Missle

Maple Grove, MN

#3 Jul 27, 2010
Minnesota nice at its finest..........
Just Me

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jul 27, 2010
We have houses like this all over the state. If it wasn't across the road from a swanky development, it would still be there I'm sure.

Not saying it's right to have junk all over the place.....just sayin'.
Pizza Boy

United States

#5 Jul 27, 2010
Truth Missle wrote:
MN nice is nothing more than cover for passive aggressive behavior.

Unless she won the lottery this house was never going to be anything more than the biggest thing in her growing junkyard.
typical

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jul 27, 2010
The whiners are the same kind of people that move out to rural area and then complain about the smell.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#7 Jul 27, 2010
typical wrote:
The whiners are the same kind of people that move out to rural area and then complain about the smell.
No, its the people moving into the city neighborhoods, and complaining about the smell.

Twin Cities

#8 Jul 27, 2010
It brings a tear to my eye to see the old Friedrich homestead destroyed like this. It was an amazing farm with a history that touched just about everyone in the old neighborhood. The development that took over the land when the last of the Friedrichs left it has successfully erased any glimmer of the charm that 31st Street once had. In all reality, Mrs. Hardy was not going to ever be able to pull together the money to have the structure brought up to code herself, but her dream was noble. It's a crying shame that the Minnesota Historical Society didn't take any interest in the house, which was movable and worthy of restoration.
Beaver Cleaver

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jul 27, 2010
ZenBirdist wrote:
It brings a tear to my eye to see the old Friedrich homestead destroyed like this. It was an amazing farm with a history that touched just about everyone in the old neighborhood. The development that took over the land when the last of the Friedrichs left it has successfully erased any glimmer of the charm that 31st Street once had. In all reality, Mrs. Hardy was not going to ever be able to pull together the money to have the structure brought up to code herself, but her dream was noble. It's a crying shame that the Minnesota Historical Society didn't take any interest in the house, which was movable and worthy of restoration.
Typical nut. Put your money where your mouth is--buy the porperty, fix it up. "In reality," folks like you want all of this done on the public dole. One man's "charm" is another man's junk pile.

The most telling sentence in this article was "In June, nine cars most of them inoperable littered the yard and Hardy's adjoining yard. Debris and piles of old appliances sat for years, rusting in the mud."

Now that's charm...
Ima Outraged

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jul 27, 2010
It's Obama's fault. And the DFL. Hip Hop isn't helping eithter. Or those video games. We need to take our civilization back. Let's start by tearing down houses. We can do it. We're Amercians. Support our troops.

Twin Cities

#11 Jul 27, 2010
Beaver Cleaver wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical nut. Put your money where your mouth is--buy the porperty, fix it up. "In reality," folks like you want all of this done on the public dole. One man's "charm" is another man's junk pile.
The most telling sentence in this article was "In June, nine cars most of them inoperable littered the yard and Hardy's adjoining yard. Debris and piles of old appliances sat for years, rusting in the mud."
Now that's charm...
Well, good morning, grumpypants! I think you misunderstood me. Before Mrs. Hardy purchased the house, it sat on several acres that defined the neighborhood. There were ponds on either side of the long road (Friedrich Road) leading from the street to the farm house and outbuildings. It was a grand place, a second home to many of the kids growing up in Skunk Hollow and along 31st during that time. Bonfires on the weekends, horses that we liked to visit with apples, lots of trees and character and yes, charm. When the developers purchased the Friedrich land, they put the farmhouse up for sale. It was then that the Hardys had it moved to their small yard on 31st, where it sat boarded to deteriorate among the junk cars and appliances that the Hardys had accumulated. A very sad thing to happen to a home that had been so full of life for over 130 years and generations of a family that settled Lake Elmo. I never suggested the taxpayers fund any of it, so I don't know why you leaped to that conclusion. I waxed nostalgic and expressed my sadness that the Historical Society didn't intervene on behalf of the building's former glory.
Al Bundy

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jul 27, 2010
From the sounds of things, Fred G. Sanford would have complained living next to her.
E_Fudd

Lakeville, MN

#14 Jul 27, 2010
ZenBirdist wrote:
<quoted text>Well, good morning, grumpypants! I think you misunderstood me. Before Mrs. Hardy purchased the house, it sat on several acres that defined the neighborhood. There were ponds on either side of the long road (Friedrich Road) leading from the street to the farm house and outbuildings. It was a grand place, a second home to many of the kids growing up in Skunk Hollow and along 31st during that time. Bonfires on the weekends, horses that we liked to visit with apples, lots of trees and character and yes, charm. When the developers purchased the Friedrich land, they put the farmhouse up for sale. It was then that the Hardys had it moved to their small yard on 31st, where it sat boarded to deteriorate among the junk cars and appliances that the Hardys had accumulated. A very sad thing to happen to a home that had been so full of life for over 130 years and generations of a family that settled Lake Elmo. I never suggested the taxpayers fund any of it, so I don't know why you leaped to that conclusion. I waxed nostalgic and expressed my sadness that the Historical Society didn't intervene on behalf of the building's former glory.
Sounds like you have many happy memories of the house and homestead -BUT- the building itself was nothing to marvel at on its own. I'm guessing that the Historical Society has certain criteria before they consider restorations and the only thing this structure had going for it was its age. Other than that, it wasn't a rare architectural gem. Just a dime-a-dozen farmhouse that wasn't maintained. Memories or not, they did what they had to since it was obvious the owners were never going to finish the project.

Twin Cities

#15 Jul 27, 2010
E_Fudd wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you have many happy memories of the house and homestead -BUT- the building itself was nothing to marvel at on its own. I'm guessing that the Historical Society has certain criteria before they consider restorations and the only thing this structure had going for it was its age. Other than that, it wasn't a rare architectural gem. Just a dime-a-dozen farmhouse that wasn't maintained. Memories or not, they did what they had to since it was obvious the owners were never going to finish the project.
You're right, of course. The heart of the home was the family within it, not the structure that housed it. Thanks for bringing that back to me, E.

Since: Aug 09

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jul 27, 2010
I hope the citizens of Lake Elmo aren't stuck paying for this cleanup. If she can afford $300,000+ to fix it up, she sure as heck can pay for expense to haul it all away.
Janey

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jul 27, 2010
So....she collected junk and let it rot in her yard; which lead them to tearing down the house she was fixing next door? Dirty politics and if this was supposed to be her "warning" or "slap on the hand"....what a COST!
Mr Smart

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jul 27, 2010
Nice job Lake Elmo. You show so much heart in dealing with your residents. I guess this is what you get when you have college dropouts running the city.
Mr Smart

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jul 27, 2010
Truth Missle wrote:
You are talking about a city council who has to call the cops because of fights that break out at council meetings. If there was ever a city that the state should take a long, hard look at it's Lake Elmo. They should just be absorbed into Stillwater or Woodbury and dissolve that band of idiots running the show.
Itser

Montgomery, AL

#20 Jul 27, 2010
Janey wrote:
So....she collected junk and let it rot in her yard; which lead them to tearing down the house she was fixing next door? Dirty politics and if this was supposed to be her "warning" or "slap on the hand"....what a COST!
Have you followed this story at all? She wasn't fixing the house - it has been years since she has done anything with it. And no, this was not supposed to be a warning...she has had several warnings and extentions over the years, and nothing has been done. She's on a disability income, I believe, and other than maybe a winning lottery ticket, there was no way she was going to come up with the money needed to finish the house.
It's a shame that the house had to be destroyed. But maybe now that it has been, she can let go of the dream that she and her husband shared and move on with her life.
MN42x

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jul 27, 2010
So how does this work? Developer buys up farms, puts up yuppie condos in a former field. Yuppies move in and whine about the old farm house and the typical "stuff" you get on a farm (and what farm doesn't have a couple spare cars rusting away?). Developer muscles city to tear down the farmhouse (gotta put a CVS or a Walmart in there ASAP!)

Personally I'd like to see stuff like "The Farms at Lake Elmo" torn down and replaced with actual farms, we could use more cropland near the city to lower the grocery bills!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minneapolis PedalPub riders hit with water ball... 1 hr Crassus 9
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 5 hr _Zoey_ 249
Best massage in Minneapolis 16 hr Tellitlikeitis 4
Letter tells L.I. black family: 'YOU DON'T BELO... 16 hr Tellitlikeitis 4
Judicial Assistant 21 hr Redeemer 1
american nationalist party 21 hr Redeemer 16
Riding the Gay Choo Choo Train Sun FOVR 12
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE