Target CEO fends off gay backlash over PAC cash

Full story: TwinCities.com

Laura Hedlund, right, and Sue Skog, both of Eagan, protest in front of a Target store in Bloomington because Target Corp.
Comments
81 - 100 of 306 Comments Last updated Aug 13, 2010

Since: Jul 10

Atwater, MN

#91 Jul 28, 2010
Gay, schmay. Get over it Target.
Ho Lee Schitt

Pennington, NJ

#92 Jul 28, 2010
It's too bad that while supporting the gay community Target continues to deny its workers a living wage with benefits.
wow

San Francisco, CA

#93 Jul 28, 2010
Corporations give to both sides of the aisle. It's called "hedging your bet".

I am surprised that the gay community has forgotten all the money and support that Target has given to the gay community, well more than the amount given to the GOP.

While I will admit that Emmer is probably the worst GOP candidate for Target to be giving financial PAC funding, ALL of them have an anti-gay agenda.
Ms V

Saint Paul, MN

#94 Jul 28, 2010
Corporations, religion, special interest groups - all of you do not speak for me. Republicans don't speak for me; either do Democrats. The only way a politician should get monetary support is from individual donations - and they should be made public since that candidate wants to speak for all of the constituents in their district. Anything else corrupts the process. I don't care what side of whatever issue you are on. That's one of the biggest problems with politics in general.
Marty Costello

Saint Paul, MN

#95 Jul 28, 2010
manwolf wrote:
Because of of Target's and Best Buy's decision to fund bigotry, violence and hatred, I will no longer bring my business to Target, Best Buy or its affiliates. Let's see how that improves their business climate.
I'm with you Bud.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#96 Jul 28, 2010
kecker wrote:
Those of you claiming to be boycotting Target, I have a question for you....where else you planning to shop instead?? Wal-Mart??
LMAO
Are you serious? There are plenty of alternatives.
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#97 Jul 28, 2010
wow wrote:
Corporations give to both sides of the aisle. It's called "hedging your bet".
I am surprised that the gay community has forgotten all the money and support that Target has given to the gay community, well more than the amount given to the GOP.
While I will admit that Emmer is probably the worst GOP candidate for Target to be giving financial PAC funding, ALL of them have an anti-gay agenda.
First-quarter PAC total giving:$47,930,526 (52 percent Republicans, 48 percent Democrats)

Fourth quarter 2009 $37,633,890 (53% D 47% R)
Third quarter 2009 $35,925,153 (56% D 44% R)
Second quarter 2009 $47,325,831 (56% D 44% R)
First quarter 2009 $43,123,093 (58% D 42% R)
BrianMN

Minneapolis, MN

#98 Jul 28, 2010
You can call us all the names you want it doesn't matter.
It's my money and I'll give it to whomever I want.
Not only is Target giving money to anti gay politicians but they're anti union. Like Walmart their gorcery sections are driving out good union paying jobs at real supermakets. But sure, you obese lard butts keep shopping there for your two cent bag of donuts you don't need in the first place.
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#99 Jul 28, 2010
I should have made it clear that the totals are Corporate PAC giving.

First-quarter PAC total giving:$47,930,526 (52 percent Republicans, 48 percent Democrats)

Fourth quarter 2009 $37,633,890 (53% D 47% R)
Third quarter 2009 $35,925,153 (56% D 44% R)
Second quarter 2009 $47,325,831 (56% D 44% R)
First quarter 2009 $43,123,093 (58% D 42% R)

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

#100 Jul 28, 2010
AH, liberal tolerance is only extended to those that believe like them...how tolerant.

More hypocricy from the liberal idiots.

I don't shop at Target because they are such staunch supporters of SPECIAL RIGHTS for gay and confused people.

Let them stand outside with signs...at least it is a nice day!
fascist h8ter

Minneapolis, MN

#102 Jul 28, 2010
The trouble with the gay political agenda is its radical opposition to the 1st Amendment. It's not enough that from kindergarten through college graduation they have a stranglehold on the curriculum and dissent is punished, but gays (in concert with the rest of the Democrat grievance groups) want to expand that and strip ALL Americans of freedom of speech and religion, as it works currently in the schools and universities. Look to Canada, where gays have empowered government agencies to arrest, fine, and imprison people for "hate speech" for criticizing homosexuality. Western Europe too.
Northsider

Hudson, WI

#103 Jul 28, 2010
Not as Delusional as You wrote:
<quoted text>If Education Minnesota gets to donate to politicians, why not corporations. Its about time corporations got equal footing with the unions on campaign contributions.
Education Minnesota exists to advocate for its members. Target exists to sell to customers, not to drive them away by identifying itself with a "brand" (the Republicans) that at least a third of them loath. And I don't mean gays, I mean Democrats. For Target, political advocacy of any kind seems like a stupid business decision.
Better than a boycott

United States

#104 Jul 28, 2010
...fill up a cart full of items, take it through the register, ring it up, then say you forgot your wallet, and walk off, they'll have to scan every item and put it back on the shelf... that'll teach them.
Jim Campbell

Duluth, MN

#105 Jul 28, 2010
Two bads don't make a right. First, Target hires Pawlenty's guru McClung (first bad), and then they let him contribute $150,000 to Emmer (second bad). Of course, this follows the GOP endorsing Emmer (third bad). This won't cause me to go to Walmart, but it will increase my spending at Costco....
sheep

Saint Paul, MN

#106 Jul 28, 2010
manwolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? There are plenty of alternatives.
Kinda like your lifestyles, huh?

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

#107 Jul 28, 2010
Jim Campbell wrote:
Two bads don't make a right. First, Target hires Pawlenty's guru McClung (first bad), and then they let him contribute $150,000 to Emmer (second bad). Of course, this follows the GOP endorsing Emmer (third bad). This won't cause me to go to Walmart, but it will increase my spending at Costco....
Just shop at the co-op so we don't have to put up with your poorly parked Subaru.
heh

Saint Paul, MN

#108 Jul 28, 2010
manwolf wrote:
Because of of Target's and Best Buy's decision to fund bigotry, violence and hatred, I will no longer bring my business to Target, Best Buy or its affiliates. Let's see how that improves their business climate.
Sorry to break it to ya, but nobody's going to notice. Their business climates will be just fine without you.
Joe Merlot

Saint Paul, MN

#109 Jul 28, 2010
Pish/Pash on this article. It amounts to an attempt to black mail business from supporting conservative candidates.

It's actually comical that there is a thought (even if only at a journalist/activist level) that this strategy will have any impact other than to further inflame and unite conservatives.

A business like Target that is obviously inclusive is NOT going to back off of supporting candidates that are focused on improving the state's economic vitality. They will make their case publicly and quietly say among themselves. Let'em boycott, it's only a small fringe population that is unreasonable enough to boycott in the face of obviously inclusive and GLBT support by companies like Target.

The bottom line is that those protesting are not protesting gay rights, they are protesting anti conservatism using gay rights as a shield. Actually, protesters will likely draw criticism and scorn among their own ranks for targeting an obvious ally.
Jean Francois de Kerry

Saint Paul, MN

#110 Jul 28, 2010
Whoa!! Wait a minute! You mean to tell me that Target SUPPORTS gay rights? Count me in on the boycott!
IronRanger

United States

#111 Jul 28, 2010
Rion wrote:
Target has nothing to worry about. Gay men aren't going to be caught dead at Wal-Mart.
Good to know.

Guess I'll have to start shopping at Wal-Mart

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop one word....add one word game 53 min Silly times 83
Abbott Northwestern Hospital any good? 6 hr Abdual The Exterm... 13
Minneapolis: A Hotbed For Radical Islam 6 hr Abdual The Exterm... 38
Minnesota’s Martyrs: The Path to Paradise 7 hr Capt Crunch 4
Cambridge Mace's Lane Middle School Teacher on ... 7 hr Capt Crunch 10
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 7 hr SpaceBlues 32,447
Dem senator claims male colleague told her: Don... 7 hr Think about it 5
•••
•••
Minneapolis Dating