Why isn't the Minimum Wage $22 an Hour?

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#1 Mar 18, 2013
WATCH: Elizabeth Warren Asks: Why isn't the Minimum Wage $22 an Hour?
Elizabeth Warren wanted to know why minimum wage hasn't gone up at the same rate as productivity.

Read more: http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/cc-common/n...

---Typical idiot
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#2 Mar 18, 2013
I believe many Associate Degrees pay a lot less than $22 hr.... By her definition Americans must be starving to death in the streets
Will Not fly on a 787

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 18, 2013
Why not just increase it to $22/hour?

Give everyone a living wage so they have motivation to work instead of sitting on the Government Plantation, welfare?

Also mandate 40 hour work weeks so employers can't do the part time starvation trick.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#4 Mar 18, 2013
Will Not fly on a 787 wrote:
Give everyone a living wage so they have motivation to work instead of sitting on the Government Plantation, welfare?
Also mandate 40 hour work weeks so employers can't do the part time starvation trick.
Markets set wages. You want more illegals, then go for it.

“I Want To Be Evil”

Since: Feb 13

I Wanna Be Bad

#5 Mar 18, 2013
Will Not fly on a 787 wrote:
Here's a better idea: why not have every one work for free, and let the government have ALL the money. Then the bureaucrats can supply our every need, according to their idea of what 'need' is.
We will all drive a volt, the McMansions will all be torn down and we will live in cement hi-rises, our government cheese will be delivered every week. There will only be public schools, and they will stay just the way they are now.
I think they tried this somewhere before....

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#6 Mar 18, 2013
In most cases, not all, the largest single overhead item that goes into costing an item is labor, direct and indirect. If direct labor goes up, the pricing formula for most companies, takes the pricing of the item up, in order to maintain the same margins. Those uptakes are not in a one to one correlation however, many times, in order to maintain the same margin level, the pricing uptake could be 2% more than the actual increase itself. And you can be sure, given the opportunity to raise prices, especially in the wholesale trade, there is some margin manipulation.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#7 Mar 18, 2013
DSM Local wrote:
Elizabeth Warren wanted to know why minimum wage hasn't gone up at the same rate as productivity.
---Typical idiot
Because no one wants to pay $22 hr to the guy who watches the timer on the deep fryer, or washes dishes at the local cafe. What about all of the skilled laborers, professionals etc who make about that much money? Don't you think they would be a little upset if the guy who empties the trash cans in the office made as much or more as them?
ebtcollector

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Mar 18, 2013
Miss Piggy Chops wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a better idea: why not have every one work for free, and let the government have ALL the money. Then the bureaucrats can supply our every need, according to their idea of what 'need' is.
We will all drive a volt, the McMansions will all be torn down and we will live in cement hi-rises, our government cheese will be delivered every week. There will only be public schools, and they will stay just the way they are now.
I think they tried this somewhere before....
Just wondering why people are so concerned about nominal values?

$50 an hour don't mean shit when it doesn't buy you a loaf of bread.

40% raise in wages don't mean shit with 40% inflation.

Higher nominal numbers create illusions.
what's a dollar worth?
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#9 Mar 18, 2013
DSM Local wrote:
---Typical idiot
Seems fair, since it's tied to productivity, unless you'd rather a manager/watcher gets paid for your efforts...
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#10 Mar 18, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
<quoted text>Seems fair, since it's tied to productivity, unless you'd rather a manager/watcher gets paid for your efforts...
I'm sorry you weren't able to make a career out of cashiering at the SafeWay and now have to reside at the local homeless shelter. With that said you want more: work harder, go to college, start a business, or I don't know join the military.

--No one "owes" anyone anything, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Government Schools, etc. You didn't plan for it, that's on you... if you die as a result of your failure to plan that's also on you.... As a result government taxation should only be to provide for a standing army nothing more
Bushwhacked

Seattle, WA

#11 Mar 18, 2013
Seems fair, since it's tied to productivity, unless you'd rather a manager/watcher gets paid for your efforts...
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#13 Mar 19, 2013
Bushwhacked wrote:
I'm sorry you weren't able to make a career out of cashiering at the SafeWay and now have to reside at the local homeless shelter. With that said you want more: work harder, go to college, start a business, or I don't know join the military.

--No one "owes" anyone anything, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Government Schools, etc. You didn't plan for it, that's on you... if you die as a result of your failure to plan that's also on you.... As a result government taxation should only be to provide for a standing army nothing more
nooo

Anonymous Proxy

#14 Mar 19, 2013
if you want to puy $14 for a bean burrito at the bell then lets do it....if the wage goes to that people wont spend any money at all and thousands of jobs will lost....you job hating idiot
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 19, 2013
nooo wrote:
if you want to puy $14 for a bean burrito at the bell then lets do it....if the wage goes to that people wont spend any money at all and thousands of jobs will lost....you job hating idiot
So you go to Chipotle and buy a burrito for $6. That is with labor at $7.25/hr. Tripling the price of labor makes that burrito cost $18. There is food cost involved, and would be some lag, but with wages inflated that quickly, food and other prices would soon follow.

Elizabeth Warren? Really? Couldn't find Hugo Chavez to do the $22/hr shill speech?
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#17 Mar 20, 2013
non-starter wrote:
<quoted text>So you go to Chipotle and buy a burrito for $6. That is with labor at $7.25/hr. Tripling the price of labor makes that burrito cost $18. There is food cost involved, and would be some lag, but with wages inflated that quickly, food and other prices would soon follow.
Elizabeth Warren? Really? Couldn't find Hugo Chavez to do the $22/hr shill speech?
Funny, pretending the owner's profit cannot shrink to compete, huh ??? I like your sloppy "math", it fits your sloppy logic. LMAOROTFU~!
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Mar 20, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
<quoted text>Funny, pretending the owner's profit cannot shrink to compete, huh ??? I like your sloppy "math", it fits your sloppy logic. LMAOROTFU~!
What risk is the worker taking? You and your kind won't be happy until the government runs everything so that equality can be enforced.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#19 Mar 20, 2013
What risk is the worker and his/her efforts to support their family taking ? Well, they cannot eat the food, hide personal assets, and get paid to simply own/invest, like the owner. They also qualify for fewer business loans, that we support, with a huge failure rate....

Pretty sad, you believe rich folks/business owners need more value, than the product producers...
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#20 Mar 20, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
What risk is the worker taking? You and your kind won't be happy until the government runs everything so that equality can be enforced.
Your "kind" switched monikers, to get a new start, because you're a POS....
ebtcollectorp

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Mar 20, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
<quoted text>Your "kind" switched monikers, to get a new start, because you're a POS....
Says the Retards that call themselves progressives.

If you want to "pretend" you know anything..
try presenting logical arguments to state your case.

You are seriously mentally ill.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#22 Mar 20, 2013
What risk is the worker and his/her efforts to support their family taking ? Well, they cannot eat the food, hide personal assets, and get paid to simply own/invest, like the owner. They also qualify for fewer business loans, that we support, with a huge failure rate....

Pretty sad, you believe rich folks/business owners need more value, than the product producers...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr Earthling-1 33,464
Whites blacks 1 hr Icantbreathe 1
Mall of America Protest 1 hr Icantbreathe 3
GRUBER gate 1 hr LIbEralS 16
This is why everyone hates the IRS (Feb '14) 17 hr LIbEralS 28
Muslims are a threat Wed Sheriff Joe 19
Minneapolis schools superintendent FIRED Wed Sunshine 8
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web