Should Circus Animals Be Banned?

Full story: KARE Minneapolis

Today, the Minneapolis City Council is set to decide whether to ban wild animals from circuses in town.
Comments
1 - 20 of 177 Comments Last updated Jan 9, 2013
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Gay Bunch-Hulse

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I was living in Honolulu at the time that "Tike the elephant" killed his trainer, injured the assistant trainer, and escaped into the streets of Honolulu during a circus show. It was a very frightnening situation resulting in the unavoidable death of the animal as well. At that time I became aware of the cruel treatment of animals in performing shows. While I do believe that certain organizations, such as zoos, have the animals best interest in mind, and provide humane care. Traveling circus shows have a history of exploiting the animals for profit. A ban of these shows in a movement in the right direction to improve treatment of animals held in captivity.
Glenda

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I am sure in this day and age the circus is not going to harm animals. It will be sad to see this happen and hope the council does not go forward with banning the circus. This is one of the great shows for children to enjoy.
Tracy

Maple Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I think that animals in the circus is what circus's are all about. Brings back childhood to adults of "remember whens" and children ahh over . Animals are part of the circus and it wouldnt be a circus without them. What about the people that work for them, care for them, help train them; by removing the animals a lot of people are out of jobs.

I feel that it would be bad if the animals were mistreated in some way. Which I am sure there are structures in place protecting animals in the circus just as if they would be in a zoo.

But I feel the aspect of a circus involves animals, these beautiful creatures are wild animals and there is no such thing as tame. But under the "right" circumstances animals and their trainers bond.

So in conclusion I feel if the animals are happy, and there is no hurts in any way. The animals should be part of the show!

Thanks,
Tracy
gary sw mpls

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

just was wondering, yesterday afternoon whe the sirens started to go off, who pushes the button to make them start,and were is that button.

Since: May 07

Reno, Nevada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

Yes, It's barbaric and cruel.
Jackie N-Maple Grove

Dallas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

Yes, circus animals should be banned. As humans, we all have good days and bad days. I own a horse, and he has bad days as well. Some days he just doesn't want to be ridden, and I have to respect him enough to allow him to have that bad day. When these circus animals have bad days and don't want to cooperate, are the trainers leaving them alone or are they pushing them because they have a show to put on? Animals should be cared for based on the needs of the animals, not on the needs of the show schedule or the financial gain of the human.

Since: Sep 07

Chanhassen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

No, they should not "ban" the animals but certainly decide upon and FOLLOW much stricter rules.
Nancy Welch

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

All of those liberal atheists who try to teach our children we grew from muck and monkeys are the same ones behind this ridiculous law. The lord God gave us these creatures do with what we want and what I want is to bring my child to see these animals perform at a family friendly circus. If Joseph and Mary were around with the little baby Jesus they would most certainly be in the front row enjoying the show with me. Elephants are vile beasts that wouldn't hesitate to kill every one of us if they had the chance. I feel much safer knowing they are chained and highly trained. I am going to write a letter of praise to my councilman and I suggest you do as well. May god bless us all.
Trish

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I think we have taken all the fun out of things for kids. No Halloween in schools. Can't mention holidays in Dec.So can't we please at least keep the animals in the circus? I do believe they should be monitored on how they're treated. but keep them in the circus.
Betty Heitzmann

Burnsville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

Circus animals certainly should not be banned. They make up part of the circus and children and adults alike enjoy watching them when the circus comes to town.
Lucy Bell

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I really loved going to the circus. But if the animals are not being treated right, then I think it should get banned.
Jason

Darfur, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I think the circus should be allowed to keep the animals. If they get banned then next thing you know we won't have any zoo's around any more to see what kind of wildlife shares this planet with us!
Doug

Superior, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

YOU have got to be kidding! This is political correctness gone way to far. glad I don't live in Liberapolis any more. My God don't the council members have better things to do than consider ideas from a bunch of kooks. Plus the circus brings revenue to the city. I am sure the circus takes real good care of their revenue sources.
Curt - Eden Prairie

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I wish all of the folks who support the circus could see how the animals are treated. The "show" is the result of "breaking" the animals will to be wild by beatings and other methods. It is cruel and inhumane. Stronger rules will not change the fact the animals need to be "trained", and the "training" methods are just plain cruel.
Cheryl

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

Circus animals should definitely be banned. There have been dozen of documented instances where the animals have been severely mistreated. Animals were not put on this earth for our "entertainment".
carol

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I dont think aniamls should be banned im ean come on they are what makes circus People need to constrate on thes Dog attacks more than taking entertiment away wonder if these folks dont have anything better to do with their time or justify their jobs to worry about stuff like this more dog attacks happen than tiger attacks JMO get the child abusers and murders off the street than worry about stuff like circus animals!
Curt - Eden Prairie

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

Glenda wrote:
I am sure in this day and age the circus is not going to harm animals. It will be sad to see this happen and hope the council does not go forward with banning the circus. This is one of the great shows for children to enjoy.
How can you be sure. It is just not possible to train naturally wild animals to be tame without using god awful training techniques. If you have ever tried to train the domestic housecat, you will recognize how difficult even that can be.
Mike EP

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I think god meant for jungle animals to stay in the jungle; not to be circus performers for our amusement. Ban the circus.
beth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I found the comment in this day and age they wouldn't hurt animals ridiculous. We hear of animal abuse every day in the news. In this day and age they are still killing seals and whales. Stop using animals in the circus.
Chris

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

I Don't Agree Because I think that would be denying future generations to enjoy the circus the way we did as kids

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson police shooting sparks Duluth protest 4 min cantmakeitup 4
Hero USC footballer Josh Shaw injured saving dr... 4 min Slewer 4
Minneapolis: A Hotbed For Radical Islam 7 min cantmakeitup 2
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 7 min Brian_G 32,431
Minnesota’s Martyrs: The Path to Paradise 22 min Einer Joe Hansen ... 1
Proposed high-voltage power lines raise fears i... (Apr '09) 12 hr lieht 94
Drop one word....add one word game 13 hr Capt Crunch 81
•••
Minneapolis Dating

more search filters