Counties Transit Improvement Board commits $30 million to next generation of transit projects

Dec 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Insight News

The Counties Transit Improvement Board's annual grant awards signaled its commitment to advancing transit projects across the region.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 21, 2012
 
Counties Transit Improvement Board Chair Peter McLaughlin states in the article:

“We need only look at the terrific, ongoing performance of Hiawatha LRT, and its success in leveraging private investment to know that we are doing the right thing for our region by funding these projects.”

WHAT???

How much money is LRT losing? And that is is deemed a success by this idiot?

So, based on the success of throwing money down a rat hole for the Hiawatha line, they are going to start with dumping $30 million more? We need to find a way to shut down the Met Council.
Chicken Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 21, 2012
 
Umm, light rail requires much less of an operating subsidy than buses.

Light rail is an idea whose time has come.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 21, 2012
 
Yeah, mass transportation is bad, we need more Corvairs...

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 21, 2012
 
Chicken Liberal wrote:
Umm, light rail requires much less of an operating subsidy than buses.
Light rail is an idea whose time has come.
Imagine that. You make a claim and do not back it up with any documentation. I am shocked! Shocked!

----------

Using the Met Council's 2010 report, the cost of a single ride on the Hiawatha light-rail line is $2.46. Riders pay only 99 cents of this cost, leaving almost 60 percent to be subsidized by the public.

But this is not the true cost of a ride, as it does not include the 30-year amortized costs of bonding for the build-out of the line. Adding those costs in, at a 4 percent bond interest rate, a single ride actually costs $6.42, which means each ride is subsidized by 85 percent.

If a family of four rides the Hiawatha Line to a Twins game, the public is paying a total of $43.36, while the riders are contributing $3.96.

Right now, we are paying over $15 million each year to keep the Hiawatha Line operating. Adding in the amortized costs of building the line, it's more than $56 million in taxpayer dollars each year. Yes, some of the costs were federally funded, and other revenue streams are bearing some of the burden. But with trillions of dollars of deficit spending, do we really want to add to the debt that future generations will pay for decades to come?

Using the Hiawatha Line as a model, let's project the costs of the Central Corridor and Southwest lines. Assuming the same level of revenue from ridership and operating costs, the Central Corridor will require more than $17 million each year in operating subsidy and more than $55 million a year for the amortized costs. The new Southwest line will require more than $12 million in operating subsidy with more than $72 million in amortized costs. And don't forget about Northstar commuter rail, which has an annual operating subsidy of over $13 million, with amortized costs of over $18 million.

Once all four lines are in operation, the public will pay more than $58 million each year to just operate the lines. The actual costs, with the amortized build-out costs included, is just short of a quarter of a billion dollars each year.

http://m.startribune.com/opinion/...

----------

If what you say is true, then we better raise the bus fares.
LRT Fact

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 21, 2012
 
The Hiawatha can transport about 10K people from a sporting event.

It isn't a solution.
Bridgework

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 21, 2012
 
How come you keep posting lies?
LRT Fact

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 21, 2012
 
Bridgework wrote:
How come you keep posting lies?
Blow it out your arse.
LRT Fact

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 21, 2012
 
LRT is the most economical way to move commuters.

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 21, 2012
 
LRT Fact wrote:
LRT is the most economical way to move commuters.
LRT is a gigantic waste of tax payer's money. The most economical way to move people is to have them do it themselves.
Smarter Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 21, 2012
 
Thqt's dumb. We can't afford the big highway projects anymore.

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 21, 2012
 
LRT Fact wrote:
LRT is the most economical way to move commuters.
Aain, no facts to back up your asinine claims.

In a repor prepared for New Zealand titled "NEW LIGHT RAIL
IN THE UNITED STATES: PROMISE AND REALITY", Wendell Cox Consultancy concludes the following:

"According to a US Department of Transportation report, HOV lanes with express bus systems are five times as cost effective as light rail and heavy rail (cost per passenger kilometer).105 If competitive operation is assumed, HOV lanes with express bus systems are nearly seven times as cost effective as light rail, with costs per passenger kilometer estimated at $0.262 (Figure #11).106 Generally, whatever passenger volume can be
accommodated by new urban rail lines, can be less expensively moved by express buses."

Busses are 7 times more cost effective than Light Rail.

OK Bob, your turn to pull another stupid lie out of your ass again and not back it up with any proof what so ever.

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 21, 2012
 
Here is the link for the above study.

http://www.publicpurpose.com/nz-uslrt000131.p...
Smarter Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 21, 2012
 
New Zealand?

ROFLMAO!

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 21, 2012
 
Smarter Liberal wrote:
New Zealand?
ROFLMAO!
You have not put forth one fact to support your lies.

Nw Zealand commissioned the study of US Mass Transit Systems before throwing away billions of dollars like we have done here. They are far smarter than the urban planners bent on wasting tax payer dollars in this country.

FACT: Busses are 7 times more cost effective than LRT.

http://www.publicpurpose.com/nz-uslrt000131.p...
Bobby

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 22, 2012
 
Sigh. Another day, another Irish lie. Check out ahblid's posts on this thread shooting anti-rail types down at every turn. Including Irish Liar.

Maybe if you post the lies a couple years later they're not lies anymore?

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/minneapolis-m...

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 24, 2012
 
Bobby wrote:
Sigh. Another day, another Irish lie. Check out ahblid's posts on this thread shooting anti-rail types down at every turn. Including Irish Liar.
Maybe if you post the lies a couple years later they're not lies anymore?
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/minneapolis-m...
Yo, Bobbie, you need to disprove the study I posted that says busses are 7 times more cost efficient than light rail.

In addition, under each of the names you post as, you make the same silly claim yet you can never provide any proof of a lie. I say that means you are lying again.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 24, 2012
 
Yeah, mass transportation is bad, we need more Corvairs...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••