East Ridge High School hires Simley's...

East Ridge High School hires Simley's Ray Betton as its first f...

There are 35 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 16, 2009, titled East Ridge High School hires Simley's Ray Betton as its first f.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

East Ridge High School in Woodbury has hired Ray Betton has its first football coach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Billy Boy

Eugene, OR

#1 Jan 16, 2009
One strong candidate should be the So. St. Paul head coach. Chad something.
He has done wonderful things with that program. Good luck Ray
Alex_D_Tocquevil le

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jan 16, 2009
They want to get started right away on a long tradition of losing. Ho Henry Sibley!
Tank Murdoch

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jan 16, 2009
Lets get a real opinion on the football coach.

Principal Harper knows nothing about football. He is a real candy a$$ and a frisbee golf freak.
Smelly Shelly

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jan 16, 2009
Tank Murdoch wrote:
Lets get a real opinion on the football coach.
Principal Harper knows nothing about football. He is a real candy **** and a frisbee golf freak.
agreed!

Harper is not qualified to give opinions on football
Old Yeller

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jan 16, 2009
That Principal Harper guy lives in a McMansion in Woodbury and has a gas guzzlin SUV. So much for saving the planet.

what a wack nut
lol

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jan 16, 2009
Billy Boy wrote:
One strong candidate should be the So. St. Paul head coach. Chad something.
He has done wonderful things with that program. Good luck Ray
hahaha, that is funny!
DeeHunter

United States

#8 Jan 17, 2009
A couple things:

Harper played college football and arena football. He can talk a little bit.

What does Henry Sibley have anything to do with this?
In the know

United States

#9 Jan 17, 2009
There is a lot more to this story than Leighton writes here; he should do some further digging. A number of people turned this job down because they couldn't get a teaching job, which Betton doesn't have yet, either, it sound like. One guy from out of state, another from Eastview and the third from DeLaSalle. It sounds like Harper is a real piece of work. Looks like the South Washington County Teacher's Union dictated that Harper went with his fourth or fifth choice...
Tank Murdoch

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jan 19, 2009
DeeHunter wrote:
A couple things:
Harper played college football and arena football. He can talk a little bit.
What does Henry Sibley have anything to do with this?
Harper knows little or nothing about football.

the guy was a 3rd rate ballplayer at best and a real wannabe

always hurt and always crying
Susie

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jan 19, 2009
the bum is not even a certified teacher, another quota it appears.
Evan

South Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 19, 2009
Both my sons have played football for Ray Betton at Simley. He has taken a program that was mediocre at best and turned them into conference champions. He inspired not only the players but our entire community. I'm very sad to see him go but wish him the best. East Ridge is getting a very good coach and I hope they are not a 4A school.
Jake

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jan 20, 2009
Evan wrote:
Both my sons have played football for Ray Betton at Simley. He has taken a program that was mediocre at best and turned them into conference champions. He inspired not only the players but our entire community. I'm very sad to see him go but wish him the best. East Ridge is getting a very good coach and I hope they are not a 4A school.
Has the coach been checked for a criminal record and/or coaching certificates????
No CLue

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jan 20, 2009
Tank Murdoch wrote:
<quoted text>
Harper knows little or nothing about football.
the guy was a 3rd rate ballplayer at best and a real wannabe
always hurt and always crying
Harper was an all-american at U st. Thomas. The guy could play.
Kurt Tulp

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jan 21, 2009
Ray good luck to you you are going to be missed Your one of the best coaches I have ever had the privlege of knowing and I know you will do great thing they will be gratefull to have such a great coach, Best regards Kurt p.s. give a call sometime I will be watching.
Former foe at Hamline

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jan 21, 2009
No CLue wrote:
<quoted text>
Harper was an all-american at U st. Thomas. The guy could play.
He had slow feet and did not know the schemes....selfish troubled player on the team
Camper King

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jan 22, 2009
Former foe at Hamline wrote:
<quoted text>
He had slow feet and did not know the schemes....selfish troubled player on the team
With that record makes sense for him to be a principal then????
Sen Amy K

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jan 23, 2009
Agreed-

Harper is a brainless nobody when it comes to football, thats why he hired a coach with a ciminal record and no teaching certificates.

good grief
Gesser

Mankato, MN

#20 Jan 24, 2009
bad choice the guy has a record
Run TMP

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jan 26, 2009
its all good if the team wins, criminal record or not.
Just call me Coach

Elizabeth City, NC

#22 Feb 1, 2009
First of all I want to state that I am a close personal friend of Coach Betton and I can assure you that he in fact has a teaching license and Coaching certificate and NO he does not have a criminal record. He is a great friend and a wonderful person. He has shaped and transformed the lives of many student throughout his teaching and coaching years, at Washburn, Holy Angels and Simley and he will do the say at East Ridge.
He took a very poor Simply program and turned it into a two time conference champion and often went well into the second and third round of the playoffs. Its saddens me that some of you would bash him because he is an African American. Are you that afraid of our SUCCESS as black coaches? As for the candidates he beat out for the job. Perhaps you should check their backgrounds and then you might understand why they were not chosen the position. I will say this and I will end here, give Coach Betton three years and I promise you he will have the best team in that conference. So much for Minnesota Nice!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rodrigo duterte is a beast 3 hr Waikiki Vermin 2
#Dump Betsy Hodges! 15 hr Waikiki Vermin 14
Who Am i ??? Apr 28 Davycrockett 3
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) Apr 28 Waikiki Vermin 588
Media blackout Apr 27 Waikiki murders 2
News Minneapolis student targeted in Facebook postin... (May '10) Apr 27 Davycrockett 27
Don't talk to commies Apr 25 Waikiki murders 3

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages