We've got a beef with fast food

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Smarter Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Nov 30, 2012
My name is Joshua Williams, and today, I'm taking a big risk.

Last year, the CEO of Wendy's took home $16.5 million dollars while I barely scraped by on $16,000. Like so many of my fellow fast food workers who work long hours at my store, I struggle to earn the money I need to pay for my rent, food, clothing, housing, student loans and childcare for my 7-month-old son Jayvon.

Today, my coworkers and I are fighting for our rights and to end that constant struggle. We're striking for a livable wage of $15/hour and our right to form a union. But we need your help.

Tell the CEOs of Wendy's, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Domino's, KFC, Taco Bell, Papa John's and Burger King to pay hard workers like me a living wage.

If we win this fight, the 50,000 New Yorkers working in the fast food industry will have access to a better life. Despite common stereotypes, most of us are not teenagers working after school, but grown adults with kids of our own and bills to pay.

Many of my colleagues, who have worked at my store for years, have never received a raise from $7.25 an hour. Because we're not paid a living wage, corporations like Wendy's make taxpayers pick up the bill when we're forced to go on public assistance.

We know this is a David vs. Goliath battle --- with minimum wage workers uniting against a $200 billion industry --- but we can win if Americans from all walks of life stand in solidarity with us.

Stand with us as we fight for a living wage. Stand for something greater. Sign the petition today.

http://www.fastfoodforward.org/petition...
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 1, 2012
Gee Joshua, maybe you should have waited to have little Jayvon until you got a better job.
Does your wife work? Don't expect me to pay more for my Big Mac because you are so unambitious. LOL
redeemer

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 1, 2012
CRASSUS wrote:
<quoted text>Uneducated LeBron James will be making $17,545,000 this year. How about whining about that? The low paying fast food problem would be solved if people stopped eating the garbage and chemicals they serve. You know how unhealthy that food is? No wonder the Black Friday line at Walmart looked like a line headed into the stockyards. These places only serve obesity. Just the thought of fast food makes me sick. I'm going to have a protein shake and head to the gym.
So how did you become so obese(fat)was it hamhocks and beans,grits and pork sauage or did you inherit the fat greasy gene from your mama.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#6 Dec 1, 2012
Miss Piggy wrote:
Gee Joshua, maybe you should have waited to have little Jayvon until you got a better job.
Does your wife work? Don't expect me to pay more for my Big Mac because you are so unambitious. LOL
Don't eat out, if you can't afford the price, lazy pig. Funny, you can't have kids, cause you UGLY ~! LMAOROTFU~!
redeemer

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Dec 1, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
<quoted text>Don't eat out, if you can't afford the price, lazy pig. Funny, you can't have kids, cause you UGLY ~! LMAOROTFU~!
Wow champ that was a sweet sucker punch on the pig sweet,sweet sweet.
Amused Slew

United States

#8 Dec 1, 2012
It is possible to earn a nice salary at fast food places. You may also buy a franchise and make the profit yourself.

Of course Obama WILL BE taking from those making over $250K so don't get your hopes up too high.
Schmahl Spew

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Dec 1, 2012
Those are called "taxes" and those earning over $250k are paying less than half of what they used to.
Bob of Many Names Theme

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Dec 1, 2012
Schmahl Spew wrote:
Those are called "taxes" and those earning over $250k are paying less than half of what they used to.
Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody
I got no money cuz I got no job
How I wish I had someone to talk to
I'm in awful mess
I blew in town 40 years ago, I ain't seen a lotta girls since then
If I could find'em I could get'em but as yet I have'nt met'em
That's why I'm in the shape I'm in ohhhh

I'm in awful mess
Another fella told me he had a sister that looked so fine
Instead of being my deliverance, she had a strong resemblance
To a cat named Frankenstein ohhhh....

I'm in awful mess
It's hard for a fella, when he don't know his way around
If I can't find me a honey to help me spend her money
I'm gonna have to blow this town ohhh....

Im in awful mess
Schmahl Spew

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Dec 1, 2012
Odd that you are here every Saturday night to accuse someone of being "Bob of Many Names".

I guess that really makes it YOUR theme song!

ROFLMAO!!!!
Bob of Many Names Theme

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Dec 1, 2012
Schmahl Spew wrote:
Odd that you are here every Saturday night to accuse someone of being "Bob of Many Names".
I guess that really makes it YOUR theme song!
ROFLMAO!!!!
No Bob, it is yours. Can you sing it again for us?
Schmahl Spew

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Dec 1, 2012
I'm seldom here on Saturdays. But I see on Mondays that you post this EVERY Saturday.

What a dofus. You really are here every Saturday night.
Robert

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Dec 1, 2012
Schmahl Spew wrote:
I'm seldom here on Saturdays. But I see on Mondays that you post this EVERY Saturday.
What a dofus. You really are here every Saturday night.
He doesn't have the brains God gave an ant. Can't comprehend the unintended irony. What a tool.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 5, 2012
Miss Piggy wrote:
in some cases, the adults working at the fast food. are either retired. or they are unable to find jobs in their fields of work. and still need to finacially try to help take care of their families untill they can get a better job.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#16 Dec 5, 2012
Miss Piggy wrote:
If they raise their prices to accommodate this action, it will hit the low income people more than anyone else. You can eat pretty cheaply on the dollar menus at places like McDonalds.

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#17 Dec 5, 2012
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
in some cases, the adults working at the fast food. are either retired. or they are unable to find jobs in their fields of work. and still need to finacially try to help take care of their families untill they can get a better job.
OK. So what? Do your comments mean you think that some dufus standing at a register asking if you want fries with that Happy Meal should make $15 per hour?

Do you really think that person contributes that much per hour to the profits of the establishment?
space ace

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Dec 5, 2012
Any worker over the age of 18 deserves to make a living wage.

Would you rather subsidize his family, housing and health care through your taxes?
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Dec 5, 2012
Smarter Liberal wrote:
Last year, the CEO of Wendy's took home $16.5 million dollars while I barely scraped by on $16,000. Like so many of my fellow fast food workers who work long hours at my store, I struggle to earn the money I need to pay for my rent, food, clothing, housing, student loans and childcare for my 7-month-old son Jayvon.
Today, my coworkers and I are fighting for our rights and to end that constant struggle. We're striking for a livable wage of $15/hour and our right to form a union. But we need your help.
Tell the CEOs of Wendy's, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Domino's, KFC, Taco Bell, Papa John's and Burger King to pay hard workers like me a living wage.
If we win this fight, the 50,000 New Yorkers working in the fast food industry will have access to a better life. Despite common stereotypes, most of us are not teenagers working after school, but grown adults with kids of our own and bills to pay.
Many of my colleagues, who have worked at my store for years, have never received a raise from $7.25 an hour. Because we're not paid a living wage, corporations like Wendy's make taxpayers pick up the bill when we're forced to go on public assistance.
We know this is a David vs. Goliath battle --- with minimum wage workers uniting against a $200 billion industry --- but we can win if Americans from all walks of life stand in solidarity with us.
Stand with us as we fight for a living wage. Stand for something greater. Sign the petition today.
Hey Josh, get a better job. Don't hold your employer hostage over poor life and career choices you made. The job pays what it pays, if you don't like it, don't work there.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#20 Dec 5, 2012
Smarter Liberal wrote:
Why not get a better job? Is it because you are only qualified to flip burgers at $7.25/hour?

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#21 Dec 5, 2012
space ace wrote:
Any worker over the age of 18 deserves to make a living wage.
Would you rather subsidize his family, housing and health care through your taxes?
Most anyone over 18 that has graduated from HS and can read can find a job that pays better than $7.25. That's assuming they can present themselves somewhat well at an interview. Even temp manufacturing jobs pay around $9.00 hr. One can always get a part timer to supplement income. Many are the folks who worked their way through college or trade school working more then one job. It is a know fact by most that food service jobs are notoriously low paying.
space ace

Minneapolis, MN

#22 Dec 5, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not get a better job? Is it because you are only qualified to flip burgers at $7.25/hour?
What if he is? He's still entitled to a living wage, a wife and kids, a home , enough to eat and economic security.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This is why everyone hates the IRS (Feb '14) 7 hr LIbEralS 28
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 11 hr kal 33,461
GRUBER gate 12 hr Sunshine 11
Mall of America Protest 13 hr Sunshine 2
Muslims are a threat Wed Sheriff Joe 19
Minneapolis schools superintendent FIRED Wed Sunshine 8
Veteran Freed From MSP VA Dental Dept Phone Abu... Wed American_Sons 10
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:37 am PST

Bleacher Report 9:37AM
The Pack Has Not Fared Well at Raymond James Stadium
Bleacher Report11:42 AM
Extending Randall Cobb Must Be a Matter of When, Not If, for Green Bay Packers
NBC Sports 1:41 PM
Norv Turner: It's pretty incredible to me what Teddy Bridgewater has done this season
Bleacher Report 4:17 PM
Previewing Vikings vs. Dolphins
NBC Sports 5:01 PM
Packers' front 5 helps keep offense humming - NBC Sports