Poll suggests GOP outreach not reaching

Poll suggests GOP outreach not reaching

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

ScHmahl InTent

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Nov 26, 2013
Republicans spoke after the 2012 election of recognizing their large gap with some Democratic-leaning demographic groups (DLDGs) and their poor long-term electoral prospects as a consequence. Republican outreach efforts, for all that Democrats have found such efforts laughable, have Ö justified the laughter*.

OK, Iím a strange one to engage in a bit of snark considering I wrote that whole series on the need for Democrats to win more white voters. I still think thatís the case, but part of the case has not materialized, specifically the part about Republicans cutting into that gap with DLDGs. The assumption was actually a refusal to assume, namely refusing to assume Republicans would have no success. There was a chance they would make a serious effort, wouldnít bumble it all, wouldnít undermine themselves at every turn, and might enjoy some success. Not a lot of success, not like flipping young voters or women voters, but they didnít need to. Cutting off a few percent would be enough to flip election results, and couldnít count on them not doing it. Except it looks like they havenít trimmed a few percent and have bumbled it all, judging by this Quinnipiac poll on the 2016 presidential election in Florida.

Readers who follow politics regularly can probably fill in the caveats, but just so nobody gets left behind, that poll is just about Florida. Itís about only the presidential election. The 2016 election is a long way off. The pollster asked about a bunch of Republican candidates but only about Hillary Clinton in the head-to-head matchups, so she could muck up the whole thing by not running.

However, Florida is the third biggest state and a swing state, the biggest contested prize in the electoral college (unless Democrats make Texas competitive sooner than reasonably expected), so we do care. Candidates have to care about the poll results because they have to decide in about a year whether to run, and whatís most important to our main point, the demographic fundamentals still matter. Theyíre the interesting part, in terms of what changed since last election, or, as readers might have inferred from the first couple paragraphs, havenít changed.
busybody

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Nov 27, 2013
The Republicans will lose control of the House in 2014 and Hillary will easily win in 2016.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 14 min Patriot AKA Bozo 39,169
News Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 51 min Abe 26,703
Club calls police on black women golfers over s... 2 hr Space ace 3
Crassus, fovr, davy 21 hr Space ace 6
Comey beng investigated by IG Tue MAGAfiggypops 9
Exploding Ant plows van into pedestrians in Tor... Tue The Lumber Jack 11
Try me Mon Space ace 5

Minneapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages