Comments
21 - 40 of 114 Comments Last updated Feb 17, 2013

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 29, 2013
 
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
In Minneapolis when budgets get tight the Democratic mayor tries to make sure the people feel it by cutting police and fire (but not dog parks or bike paths). They are hot button, very public issues and he wants to make the people scared for their safety to accept tax increases. It sounds like Milwaukee took a page from MN and decided to cut the police budget. I wonder if he is doing this because he believes more people should arm themselves or to shock the Democrats in charge of Milwaukee into restoring the police budget.
Bridge, you hit the nail right on the head. It is the game that all Democrats play, and sadly some Republicans too.

The City of Minneapolis with their Boy Mayor will threaten annually to cut Fire and Police unless they get their budget increases.

When was the last time you saw Mayor Archie threaten to cut the staff of the Diversity Coordinator? Or the staff of the Bike Activites Coordinator?
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 29, 2013
 
Crime is relatively rare in Clarke's jurisdiction: In 2010, the Sheriff's Department reported two burglaries, nine robberies and zero murders.(Preliminary data from 2012 were not available, and it's not clear if the department submitted its crime statistics to the FBI for 2011.)

Also rare are justifiable homicides in the U.S.: About 260 private citizens lawfully killed someone committing a felony in 2011, or less than one case per every 1 million people in the nation.

Clarke's announcement has nonetheless tapped into a raw current in American politics over the role guns play in a civil society, which has occasioned some slightly less-than-civil discourse.

"Apparently, Sheriff David Clarke is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie," Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's office said in a statement.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jan 29, 2013
 
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Bridge, you hit the nail right on the head. It is the game that all Democrats play, and sadly some Republicans too.
The City of Minneapolis with their Boy Mayor will threaten annually to cut Fire and Police unless they get their budget increases.
When was the last time you saw Mayor Archie threaten to cut the staff of the Diversity Coordinator? Or the staff of the Bike Activites Coordinator?
Activities ??? Man, drinking kinda early and agreeing with morons ?? LMAOROTFU~! Love the partisan BS, but without it....

you're just a sad, broke, old "man"....
AntiMelting

New Richmond, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jan 29, 2013
 
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Bridge, you hit the nail right on the head. It is the game that all Democrats play, and sadly some Republicans too.
The City of Minneapolis with their Boy Mayor will threaten annually to cut Fire and Police unless they get their budget increases.
When was the last time you saw Mayor Archie threaten to cut the staff of the Diversity Coordinator? Or the staff of the Bike Activites Coordinator?
It would be fun to watch what happens to Norf Minneapolis if they ever actually cut Police and Fire. We could call it, Welfare Games.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jan 29, 2013
 
You'd lose, only the strong survive...

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jan 29, 2013
 
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Bridge, you hit the nail right on the head. It is the game that all Democrats play, and sadly some Republicans too.
The City of Minneapolis with their Boy Mayor will threaten annually to cut Fire and Police unless they get their budget increases.
When was the last time you saw Mayor Archie threaten to cut the staff of the Diversity Coordinator? Or the staff of the Bike Activites Coordinator?
You guys forgot to mention firing teachers and closing schools. That's an old favorite too.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jan 29, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
Crime is relatively rare in Clarke's jurisdiction: In 2010, the Sheriff's Department reported two burglaries, nine robberies and zero murders.(Preliminary data from 2012 were not available, and it's not clear if the department submitted its crime statistics to the FBI for 2011.)
Also rare are justifiable homicides in the U.S.: About 260 private citizens lawfully killed someone committing a felony in 2011, or less than one case per every 1 million people in the nation.
Clarke's announcement has nonetheless tapped into a raw current in American politics over the role guns play in a civil society, which has occasioned some slightly less-than-civil discourse.
"Apparently, Sheriff David Clarke is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie," Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's office said in a statement.
Milwaukee, WI (the county seat of Milwaukee County, WI) has one of the highest crime rates in the country. In a million person county you honestly believe there were 2 burglaries? In 2010 there were 94 murders alone in Milwaukee, WI.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jan 29, 2013
 
Crime is relatively rare in Clarke's jurisdiction: In 2010, the Sheriff's Department reported two burglaries, nine robberies and zero murders.(Preliminary data from 2012 were not available, and it's not clear if the department submitted its crime statistics to the FBI for 2011.)

Also rare are justifiable homicides in the U.S.: About 260 private citizens lawfully killed someone committing a felony in 2011, or less than one case per every 1 million people in the nation.

Clarke's announcement has nonetheless tapped into a raw current in American politics over the role guns play in a civil society, which has occasioned some slightly less-than-civil discourse.

"Apparently, Sheriff David Clarke is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie," Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's office said in a statement.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jan 29, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
Crime is relatively rare in Clarke's jurisdiction: In 2010, the Sheriff's Department reported two burglaries, nine robberies and zero murders.(Preliminary data from 2012 were not available, and it's not clear if the department submitted its crime statistics to the FBI for 2011.)
Also rare are justifiable homicides in the U.S.: About 260 private citizens lawfully killed someone committing a felony in 2011, or less than one case per every 1 million people in the nation.
Clarke's announcement has nonetheless tapped into a raw current in American politics over the role guns play in a civil society, which has occasioned some slightly less-than-civil discourse.
"Apparently, Sheriff David Clarke is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie," Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's office said in a statement.
You think repeating the same wrong information will somehow make it less wrong? Also why do you only consider justifiable homicides in self defense when looking at self defense? Does it not count unless you kill the attacker?

2010 murder and shooting statistics by the City of Milwaukee.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups...

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jan 29, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Oh, the games people play.

The Democrat Rulers in the Milwaukee area tried to bury their actual crime statistics. Too bad the WI Journal Sentinal did their job when it came to Investigative Journalism.

After reading this, I'd advise the citizens of Milwaukee to attend a Firearms Training Course and arm themselves. Wouldn't you?

----------

Journal Sentinel Watchdog Report

Hundreds of assault cases misreported by Milwaukee Police Department

City's violent crime rate lowered based on faulty data

By Ben Poston of the Journal Sentinel

May 22, 2012

When Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn touted the city's fourth-straight year of falling crime in February, hundreds of beatings, stabbings and child abuse cases were missing from the count, a Journal Sentinel investigation has found.

More than 500 incidents since 2009 were misreported to the FBI as minor assaults and not included in the city's violent crime rate, the investigation found. That tally is based on a review of cases that resulted in charges - only about one-fifth of all reported crimes.

Yet the misreported cases found in 2011 alone are enough that Flynn would have been announcing a 1.1% increase in violent crime in February, instead of a 2.3% decline from the reported 2010 numbers, which also include errors.

Missing, for example, was the case of Crystal L. Mitchell, 21, who last May grabbed a 9-inch serrated steak knife during an argument with her uncle, stabbed him in his thigh and slashed his arm.

And the case of John F. Sanford, 57, who in December bound his 6-year-old stepson's arms and legs, covered his mouth with duct tape and struck him some 90 times with a belt, later telling him: "I was trying to make you (expletive) on yourself." A doctor at Children's Hospital found cuts and bruises all over the boy's body.

Based on FBI reporting guidelines, both should have been classified as aggravated assaults, the city's most common violent crime. Instead, they were reported as simple assaults, a category reserved for shoving matches and slaps to the face.

At the request of the Journal Sentinel, FBI crime experts reviewed these and dozens of other incidents and confirmed that they should have been labeled as aggravated assaults. In addition to the more than 500 misreported incidents, the investigation found at least 800 more that fit the same pattern but could not be confirmed through available public records. The Journal Sentinel has submitted an open records request for those cases.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogrepo...
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jan 29, 2013
 
Sis I miss something or are you moving the goal posts, again/always, drama queen ??

How did guns help in either example again ??
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jan 29, 2013
 
1. Guns are used in most suicides: According to a 2011 report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide was the #10 cause of death in the U.S. with 38,285 deaths reported. Of those suicides, guns were used in 19,766 cases (52%). Restricting access to guns may not impact the suicide rate, but then again it might.

2. Guns are used in most homicides: The same report states that homicide by gun represented 11,101 deaths, 70% of total homicides. The annual homicide total in 2011 was 15,953.

3. Guns take innocent lives: Accidental firearm deaths accounted for 851 funerals. It may seem a small number considering the total deaths for the year exceeded 2.5 million, but if your family member was among them it would have been a tragic loss.

4. Guns are typically used in mass killings: The Washington Post reported that since 1982 there have been 61 mass killings in the U.S. Presumably, these were all gun related. There are no statistics available for which of these mass murders involved assault rifles, but itís safe to say when an assault rifle is used, more people die.

5. Guns only take 5 days to buy: The 1994 Brady Bill instituted a five-day waiting period for the purchase of a handgun and requires a background check on all handgun purchasers.

6. Guns bought at at a gun show can be purchased immediately: The Brady Bill exempts gun show sales from the requirement for a background check or a waiting period, thus completely negating the notion that progress has been made. What was the point?

If we truly want to do something about the killing in this country we must ban the sale of assault rifles, high-capacity magazines, and any weapon that is .50 caliber or higher. Above all we must close the gun show loophole.

There is no reason for a civilian to own a military style assault rifle. These weapons were designed with one purpose in mind, to shoot people. Taking these guns off the market will not prevent a person from protecting his property or hunting game, but it could save many lives. There is no guarantee that removing assault rifles will impact homicides in any way, but if taking them out of the mix saves just one life, given they serve no other purpose than to kill, then itís worth doing.

The gun show loophole can have an immediate positive impact by taking away free access to guns for people who might not pass a background check. That doesnít mean these people canít acquire a gun by some other means, but thereís no good reason for us to make it easy for them; and thereís no evidence that the inconvenience to the rest of us is any more than just that.
Amused Slew

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jan 29, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
1. Guns are used in most suicides: According to a 2011 report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide was the #10 cause of death in the U.S. with 38,285 deaths reported. Of those suicides, guns were used in 19,766 cases (52%). Restricting access to guns may not impact the suicide rate, but then again it might.
2. Guns are used in most homicides: The same report states that homicide by gun represented 11,101 deaths, 70% of total homicides. The annual homicide total in 2011 was 15,953.
3. Guns take innocent lives: Accidental firearm deaths accounted for 851 funerals. It may seem a small number considering the total deaths for the year exceeded 2.5 million, but if your family member was among them it would have been a tragic loss.
4. Guns are typically used in mass killings: The Washington Post reported that since 1982 there have been 61 mass killings in the U.S. Presumably, these were all gun related. There are no statistics available for which of these mass murders involved assault rifles, but itís safe to say when an assault rifle is used, more people die.
5. Guns only take 5 days to buy: The 1994 Brady Bill instituted a five-day waiting period for the purchase of a handgun and requires a background check on all handgun purchasers.
6. Guns bought at at a gun show can be purchased immediately: The Brady Bill exempts gun show sales from the requirement for a background check or a waiting period, thus completely negating the notion that progress has been made. What was the point?
If we truly want to do something about the killing in this country we must ban the sale of assault rifles, high-capacity magazines, and any weapon that is .50 caliber or higher. Above all we must close the gun show loophole.
There is no reason for a civilian to own a military style assault rifle. These weapons were designed with one purpose in mind, to shoot people. Taking these guns off the market will not prevent a person from protecting his property or hunting game, but it could save many lives. There is no guarantee that removing assault rifles will impact homicides in any way, but if taking them out of the mix saves just one life, given they serve no other purpose than to kill, then itís worth doing.
The gun show loophole can have an immediate positive impact by taking away free access to guns for people who might not pass a background check. That doesnít mean these people canít acquire a gun by some other means, but thereís no good reason for us to make it easy for them; and thereís no evidence that the inconvenience to the rest of us is any more than just that.
There is no gun show loophole. The same rules apply whether the private party sales occur at a gun show or not. You are dishonestly claiming this "loophole" as a way to further regulate gun sales.

Dumbshit.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jan 29, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no gun show loophole. The same rules apply whether the private party sales occur at a gun show or not. You are dishonestly claiming this "loophole" as a way to further regulate gun sales.
Dumbshit.
Remember sir that pretty much everything slewche copy and pastes to this forum is un-credited and therefore, at best, plagiarized. Hence it cannot be considered reliable, accurate, valid or true.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jan 29, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
Crime is relatively rare in Clarke's jurisdiction: In 2010, the Sheriff's Department reported two burglaries, nine robberies and zero murders.(Preliminary data from 2012 were not available, and it's not clear if the department submitted its crime statistics to the FBI for 2011.)
Also rare are justifiable homicides in the U.S.: About 260 private citizens lawfully killed someone committing a felony in 2011, or less than one case per every 1 million people in the nation.
Clarke's announcement has nonetheless tapped into a raw current in American politics over the role guns play in a civil society, which has occasioned some slightly less-than-civil discourse.
"Apparently, Sheriff David Clarke is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie," Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett's office said in a statement.
Tom Barrett? The guy that couldn't beat Walker in two tries? Wonder if he has an axe to grind.........
Lawton

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jan 29, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
1. Guns are used in most suicides: According to a 2011 report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide was the #10 cause of death in the U.S. with 38,285 deaths reported. Of those suicides, guns were used in 19,766 cases (52%). Restricting access to guns may not impact the suicide rate, but then again it might.
2. Guns are used in most homicides: The same report states that homicide by gun represented 11,101 deaths, 70% of total homicides. The annual homicide total in 2011 was 15,953.
3. Guns take innocent lives: Accidental firearm deaths accounted for 851 funerals. It may seem a small number considering the total deaths for the year exceeded 2.5 million, but if your family member was among them it would have been a tragic loss.
4. Guns are typically used in mass killings: The Washington Post reported that since 1982 there have been 61 mass killings in the U.S. Presumably, these were all gun related. There are no statistics available for which of these mass murders involved assault rifles, but itís safe to say when an assault rifle is used, more people die.
5. Guns only take 5 days to buy: The 1994 Brady Bill instituted a five-day waiting period for the purchase of a handgun and requires a background check on all handgun purchasers.
6. Guns bought at at a gun show can be purchased immediately: The Brady Bill exempts gun show sales from the requirement for a background check or a waiting period, thus completely negating the notion that progress has been made. What was the point?
If we truly want to do something about the killing in this country we must ban the sale of assault rifles, high-capacity magazines, and any weapon that is .50 caliber or higher. Above all we must close the gun show loophole.
There is no reason for a civilian to own a military style assault rifle. These weapons were designed with one purpose in mind, to shoot people. Taking these guns off the market will not prevent a person from protecting his property or hunting game, but it could save many lives. There is no guarantee that removing assault rifles will impact homicides in any way, but if taking them out of the mix saves just one life, given they serve no other purpose than to kill, then itís worth doing.
The gun show loophole can have an immediate positive impact by taking away free access to guns for people who might not pass a background check. That doesnít mean these people canít acquire a gun by some other means, but thereís no good reason for us to make it easy for them; and thereís no evidence that the inconvenience to the rest of us is any more than just that.
Do you really think suicides would be reduced if guns wern't available?

REALLY??

IMHO, once a person is convinced they want to live no longer they WILL find a way to end their life.

AND there are worse methods of commiting suicide than using a gun. Take the woman who jumped off the I94 bridge a month ago. She killed herself but in the process she:

1) Endangered the life of her 9 year old daughter whom she left in a car on the bridge.

2) Endangered the lives of other motorists whom could have had an accident because of her horrific public actions.

3) Endangered the lives of rescue/recovery staff whom had to tread on ice of unknown thickness.

4) Traumatized those who saw her jump off the bridge.

5) Traumatized her daughter for life by jumping in front of her.

The use of a gun in the privacy of her home would have been a much better approach.

Hey Slewer, check my spelling will ya?

You are the greatest.

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jan 29, 2013
 
non-starter wrote:
<quoted text>Tom Barrett? The guy that couldn't beat Walker in two tries? Wonder if he has an axe to grind.........
Gee, lying about the crime rate in his city to make himself look better? How Democratic of him.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jan 29, 2013
 
Gee, lying about a meeting for months, how con-sewer-tative OF YOU !!! Hey, this is fun !!!

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jan 29, 2013
 
I am liking this Sheriff Clarke more and more. Here is an editorial that was published in yesterday's WI Journal Sentinel.

Notice the tactics that he describes being used by the editorial writer that was trying to discredit his opinion?

Those are the exact same tactics used by Le Dumbo et al on Topix here to shut down opposing viewpoints.

They all must be proud honor graduates of the Saul Alinsky School of Charm.

----------

It is a shame that David D. Haynes of the Journal Sentinel's Editorial Board has resorted to name-calling and doing everything he can to stifle views that differ from his own on crime and gun control in his latest "destroy the messenger" editorial, "Sheriff David Clarke: Grandstander first, lawman second," (posted Friday at the "Across the Board" blog; published Monday in the print edition).

Never have I seen a local radio ad make a newspaper editorial board editor come so unglued. Instead of engaging in intelligent debate and encouraging discourse, Haynes resorts to tactics used in silencing dissent or views they disagree with by means characteristic of dictatorships and other oppressive fascist regimes. My, how far Haynes and his board have strayed from standards of journalistic integrity.

In fact, I find it sad commentary on the state of American journalism. Dissent is healthy in America's representative government. It is OK to disagree with my position on crime and violence, but my views still deserve an airing in our public discourse and are still worthy of debate and discussion by Haynes and anyone else interested. Haynes makes no intellectually based argument. He apparently does not like the fact that I have found ways around his censoring of my opposing viewpoints. Mr. Haynes, is this what they now teach in journalism school?

Even conservative talk radio allows opposing views to get through. Talk radio has been a game changer in public discourse. Thank God. Mr. Haynes needs to realize quickly that no longer can he squelch views that run counter to his and those of his board. In today's e-world, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is no longer the only game in town, nor the only way that people can obtain news information. He no longer controls what people say or get to hear. He needs to get used to it. If the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel wants to remain relevant in the public square, then Haynes better adapt, lest he suffer the same fate as the dinosaur.

- Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/sheriff-...
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Jan 29, 2013
 
Now let's pretend, a single person is representative of a party, that's always fun, right con/irish ???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••