Latham, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Is it bad that my first reaction to George Zimmerman’s “not guilty” verdict was “Thank God we have Mark Dayton so we didn’t get one of those BS ALEC-inspired ‘Stand your ground’ laws in Minnesota”?

This verdict is a tragedy for the Martin family, who lost their son and brother and now have no justice to show for it. I don’t blame the black community for a second for anger and fear and immense racial animus over this. But let’s be honest with ourselves: if Trayvon Martin were instead Tomas Martino, a scary-looking dark-skinned kid from Oaxaca, would George Zimmerman have done anything differently?

George Zimmerman is a racist scumbag. But this is a tragedy for a family, a community, and for our entire society — that we allow entire states to pass laws which allow armed bigots to kill someone whose look they don’t like, make ex post facto claims of “fear for one’s life”, and get away with murder. All in the name of freedom and liberty from people we don’t like, words we don’t want to hear, sights we don’t want to see.“Stand Your Ground” is nothing less than the legalization of the NRA’s “armed society = polite society” trope, one of the most unamerican pieces of stinking filth in existence today.

We cannot bring back Trayvon Martin, nor will we be able to bring back the next person who is gunned down because they wore a hoodie in the wrong neighborhood by an overzealous bigot with legal cover. Or the one after that. Let’s be perfectly clear-headed about this, it’s going to happen again and again and again while these idiotic fear-driven laws exist. The only thing we can do is get the morons and bigots who passed these laws out of office, whatever it takes, and repeal them in the name of freedom: freedom from idiocy, armed bigotry, and fear itself.
Anonymous

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Ask little Nizzle what he thinks about the 17 year old Trayvons of North Minneapolis.
Oh, wait, you can't, one of them murdered him!!!
Get off your high horse, Latte Liberals who are clueless about life in the hood!
Jack Boot

Cottage Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

TrayVon = BeGone,,,,Gods court on earth, has spoken.
Bushwacked

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Trayvon = gang banger who deserved to die

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 25 min Bellweather 31,765
Own a GM Vehicle 1 hr Bellweather 1
OBAMA: I'm Not Interested in Photo-Ops 1 hr Bellweather 5
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr voting taxpayer 26,161
Drop one word....add one word game 11 hr _Zoey_ 49
Discovery of Somali stink bug in Duluth may mea... (Mar '13) 12 hr Capt Crunch 9
Muslims smelling up the light rail 17 hr General DeShawn Patton 11
•••
•••
•••
Minneapolis Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••