Bankrupt cities cry pension foul
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#24 Nov 18, 2012
Omni 40 wrote:
When public unions negotiate with union paid for politicians, San Bernadino happens.
Any questions?
"Union paid for politicians" ??? LMAOROTFU~! Nice rhetoric, but when it comes to proof, I never see any.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#25 Nov 18, 2012
CRASSUS wrote:
<quoted text>That was mighty gay of you to respond to a post for 40for60. I'd say you've got his back. Probably a tight grip on it while you are thrusting.
Lessons from the master(baiter) or just why you spend your lonely night dreaming about ??? LMAOROTFU~! LOSER !~
Bernie Made Off

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Nov 19, 2012
40for60 wrote:
'In the mid-sized California cities of Stockton and San Bernardino, officials say public safety costs were among the factors that forced both to declare bankruptcy. In Vallejo, a former U.S. Navy town near San Francisco that emerged from a three-year bankruptcy last year, public safety pay and benefits were consuming three-quarters of the city's general fund.'
Taxpayers are NOT the bottomless money pit. Look into San Bernadino' retired city officials to get an idea of Unions gone wrong.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/29/us-...
And how many millionaires are enjoying a lower tax rate in CA due to the republicans.

Tax base is consumed in multiple ways, white boy!

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#27 Nov 19, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
<quoted text>"Union paid for politicians" ??? LMAOROTFU~! Nice rhetoric, but when it comes to proof, I never see any.
'Yet on close examination, the city's decades-long journey from prosperous, middle-class community to bankrupt, crime-ridden, foreclosure-blighted basket case is straightforward — and alarmingly similar to the path traveled by many municipalities around America's largest state. San Bernardino succumbed to a vicious circle of self-interests among city workers, local politicians and state pension overseers.

Little by little, over many years, the salaries and retirement benefits of San Bernardino's city workers — and especially its police and firemen — grew richer and richer, even as the city lost its major employers and gradually got poorer and poorer.

Unions poured money into city council elections, and the city council poured money into union pay and pensions. The California Public Employees' Retirement System (Calpers), which manages pension plans for San Bernardino and many other cities, encouraged ever-sweeter benefits. Investment bankers sold clever bond deals to pay for them. Meanwhile, state law made it impossible to raise local property taxes and difficult to boost income of any other kind.

No single deal or decision involving benefits and wages over the years killed the city. But cumulatively, they built a pension-fueled financial time-bomb that finally exploded.

In bankrupt San Bernardino, a third of the city's 210,000 people live below the poverty line, making it the poorest city of its size in California. But a police lieutenant can retire in his 50s and take home $230,000 in one-time payouts on his last day, before settling in with a guaranteed $128,000-a-year pension. Forty-six retired city employees receive over $100,000 a year in pensions.'

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/13/us-...

Come now slewage, the writing is on the wall. Open your eyes
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#28 Nov 19, 2012
It's an opinion piece, putz... Let me translate. Some city managers didn't put away money they promised in contracts, so you're blaming the workers ?? LMAOROTFU~! Yep, you're right, which is why you lost the election....
Bridgework

Olathe, KS

#29 Nov 19, 2012
Bernie Made Off wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many millionaires are enjoying a lower tax rate in CA due to the republicans.
Tax base is consumed in multiple ways, white boy!
Why do you keep using the name of a criminal Democrat when talking about rich Republicans?
Bridgework

Olathe, KS

#30 Nov 19, 2012
CA pensions and healthcare funds are underfunded by over $500 BILLION dollars. Thier two largest state empoyee pensions alone are underfunded by $150 BILLION dollars.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/cali...

Even the Huffington post says unions pay for the Democrats campaigns.

"We've lived beyond our means. The chickens are coming home to roost," Brown said during a news conference in Los Angeles, referring to the difficulty of negotiating pension reforms with the Legislature's Democratic majority and the public employee labor unions that fund their campaigns."
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#31 Nov 19, 2012
"Thier" ??? LMAOROTFU~! Better "work" on that, MORON !!!

Even the post "says" by quoting Brown ?? LMAOROTFU~! Not worth arguing with an obvious moron who uses biased quotes rewritten poorly, that prove nothing.
Bridgework

Olathe, KS

#32 Nov 19, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
"Thier" ??? LMAOROTFU~! Better "work" on that, MORON !!!
Even the post "says" by quoting Brown ?? LMAOROTFU~! Not worth arguing with an obvious moron who uses biased quotes rewritten poorly, that prove nothing.
Do you like to pretend that you don't make spelling errors?

Also the post quoted Brown and then added "referring to the difficulty of negotiating pension reforms with the Legislature's Democratic majority and the public employee labor unions that fund their campaigns".
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#33 Nov 19, 2012
We can see who funds campaigns ??? WOW !! So, it should be EZ to show... LMAOROTFU~! Funny, you're still blaming ANYONE but the money PAYERS, who didn't put the promised funds away.....

Do you like to pretend you're my equal ?? LMAOROTFU~! Hardly har har ~
Bridgework

Olathe, KS

#34 Nov 19, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
We can see who funds campaigns ??? WOW !! So, it should be EZ to show... LMAOROTFU~! Funny, you're still blaming ANYONE but the money PAYERS, who didn't put the promised funds away.....
Do you like to pretend you're my equal ?? LMAOROTFU~! Hardly har har ~
You do know that campaign contributions are public record? Also I would never insult myself by saying that I was your equal.

I notice that you have failed to comment on the $500 billion retirement short fall for CA public workers and seem to care more about spelling.

P.S. The term is "hardy har har".
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#35 Nov 19, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you like to pretend that you don't make spelling errors?
Also the post quoted Brown and then added "referring to the difficulty of negotiating pension reforms with the Legislature's Democratic majority and the public employee labor unions that fund their campaigns".
Poor Brown... feels it's "difficult" to negotiate a labor contract ??? Tell hostess... LMAOROTFU~! The top dogs took all the cream, then complain there's nothing to fill you Twinkies with...
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#36 Nov 19, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that campaign contributions are public record? Also I would never insult myself by saying that I was your equal.
I notice that you have failed to comment on the $500 billion retirement short fall for CA public workers and seem to care more about spelling.
I didn't comment ??? Sure, tell yourself nonsense, it's your only "strength"... Argue with yourself, Americans respect contractual obligations, SCUM !!!
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#37 Nov 19, 2012
Also(,) I would never insult myself by saying, "I was your equal".

SMART, for a change...
Amused Skew

United States

#38 Nov 19, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
What's $500,000,000,000, a drop in Obama's bucket. He will just borrow it from China and give it to California. More Obama-gifts.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#39 Nov 19, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
<quoted text> Americans respect contractual obligations
Of course they do, but when you tell them how much their taxes will have to be raised to pay for all of it, your point becomes meaningless.
The only people backing bloated public pensions are those who benefit by it, Public Employees and their families.
Strike up that song to the general public, raising taxes to pay for bloated public pensions, and they'll tell you to go pound sand.
Guaranteed
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#40 Nov 19, 2012
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they do, but when you tell them how much their taxes will have to be raised to pay for all of it, your point becomes meaningless.
The only people backing bloated public pensions are those who benefit by it, Public Employees and their families.
Strike up that song to the general public, raising taxes to pay for bloated public pensions, and they'll tell you to go pound sand.
Guaranteed
Seems you "think" American's don't respect contractual obligations, right ?? Funny, you guaranteed a lot a couple weeks ago and your track record SUCKS... LMAOROTFU~! Keep saying nonsense, Faux Snooze needs the all day suckers !

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#41 Nov 19, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
It's an opinion piece, putz... Let me translate. Some city managers didn't put away money they promised in contracts, so you're blaming the workers ?? LMAOROTFU~! Yep, you're right, which is why you lost the election....
The wages are public record, not opinion, try again.
So you are all right and willing to have your taxes hiked to pay for those pensions? Times change slewage, hell, you keep saying that very thing when you defend your right to marriage. Those pensions Can Not be paid with the income our government collects. Tax hike to keep em all fat and sassy, laughing at the idiot tax payers all the way to the bank.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#42 Nov 19, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
<quoted text>Seems you "think" American's don't respect contractual obligations, right ?? Funny, you guaranteed a lot a couple weeks ago and your track record SUCKS... LMAOROTFU~! Keep saying nonsense, Faux Snooze needs the all day suckers !
When the general public becomes educated on what exactly is in those contracts, then you can make the call, not before.
The city leaders who signed those contracts are long gone, and signed those contracts during much different times.
Remember slewage, times are a changing........

Smart Liberal

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#43 Nov 19, 2012
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
When the general public becomes educated on what exactly is in those contracts, then you can make the call, not before.
The city leaders who signed those contracts are long gone, and signed those contracts during much different times.
Remember slewage, times are a changing........
Last week, I heard a DFL representative talking about all of the good that can be done now that Gov GoogleyEyes has a DFL Senate and House.

Not once did he say anything about cutting spending to achieve a balanced budget.

- He spoke of implementing another bonding bill in the coming legislative session to kick start jobs.
- He spoke of higher taxes.
- He spoke of universal healthcare.
- He spoke of "investing" in people.
- He spoke of adding government jobs.

He spoke of everything except being fiscally responsible. In two years, we will be the new California.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Purple Faith: Prince's Life as a Jehovah's Witness 1 hr The Real Karen 984
Trump does it again 10 hr Pop the Weasel 37
no more browns 20 hr space ace 1
knock fovr out Wed space ace 3
News Authorities Identify Suspect In Pine City Playg... Wed anarchist 4
more syrians Wed anarchist 5
BLM lies on a 0-4 losing streak May 24 anarchist 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages