Policing advocates defend use of high-tech license plate readers

Jul 18, 2013 Full story: CNN 7

David Roberts remembers his days as a Denver police cadet in 1970: It was roll call, just like in the old TV dramas, and every cop was handed a "hot sheet" of vehicles totaling 10 pages, with license plate numbers printed in six columns.

Full Story
Godless Gov Enforcers

Ankeny, IA

#1 Jul 19, 2013
Godless government enforcers, their desire for power and control is unabatable.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Jul 31, 2013
ACLU will lose this one if they take it on.

You don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" for information on the outside of your car when you are driving around in public.

Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347 (1967).

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#3 Jul 31, 2013
Strel wrote:
ACLU will lose this one if they take it on.
You don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" for information on the outside of your car when you are driving around in public.
Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347 (1967).
At the same time the police shouldn't have the ability to track your movements wherever you go which can lead to abuse. I think that is the main objective of the ACLU here. You should be able to maintain some right of privacy of your daily life when going from one place to another, imo. I hope something at least comes out of this that prevents police departments from being able to keep data on non-suspects.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jul 31, 2013
llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
At the same time the police shouldn't have the ability to track your movements wherever you go which can lead to abuse. I think that is the main objective of the ACLU here. You should be able to maintain some right of privacy of your daily life when going from one place to another, imo. I hope something at least comes out of this that prevents police departments from being able to keep data on non-suspects.
That's true, but kind of a more complex issue. They still have to have probable cause and I'm all for making sure that requirement is consistently met and subject to judicial oversight.

I generally support the ACLU, especially on the First Amendment stuff because I think they get that right. I do sometimes disagree with them on the Fourth Amendment issues. I'd agree that there's no valid reason for the to keep data on non-suspects.
Magwa

Chester, PA

#7 Jul 31, 2013
I guess this doesn't affect black men. Most of them have a fat white woman driving them around.
American

Seattle, WA

#9 Jul 31, 2013
Magwa wrote:
I guess this doesn't affect black men. Most of them have a fat white woman driving them around.
Leave your ex outta this......

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#10 Jul 31, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
If this were the exact same issue with someone else in office, you would be complaining louder than anyone.
The fool allegedly from Seattle falls back on the old Nazi/KGB mantra: If you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 4 hr IBdaMann 33,282
The Parents Weren't at the Scene in Ferguson 11 hr Liberal Lover 2
Car plows through protesters during Ferguson ra... 12 hr Mama Brown 4
Burn Diss Place Down 13 hr Sqandered taxdollars 6
Ferguson rioters destroy businesses, police car... 13 hr Sqandered taxdollars 18
The Gentle Violent Giant 13 hr Sqandered taxdollars 2
Thousands in Minnesota join outcry over Ferguso... 14 hr Sqandered taxdollars 3
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:16 pm PST