Policing advocates defend use of high-tech license plate readers

Jul 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

David Roberts remembers his days as a Denver police cadet in 1970: It was roll call, just like in the old TV dramas, and every cop was handed a "hot sheet" of vehicles totaling 10 pages, with license plate numbers printed in six columns.

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Jul 31, 2013
Godless Gov Enforcers

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Godless government enforcers, their desire for power and control is unabatable.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

ACLU will lose this one if they take it on.

You don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" for information on the outside of your car when you are driving around in public.

Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347 (1967).

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Strel wrote:
ACLU will lose this one if they take it on.
You don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" for information on the outside of your car when you are driving around in public.
Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347 (1967).
At the same time the police shouldn't have the ability to track your movements wherever you go which can lead to abuse. I think that is the main objective of the ACLU here. You should be able to maintain some right of privacy of your daily life when going from one place to another, imo. I hope something at least comes out of this that prevents police departments from being able to keep data on non-suspects.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

llDayo wrote:
<quoted text>
At the same time the police shouldn't have the ability to track your movements wherever you go which can lead to abuse. I think that is the main objective of the ACLU here. You should be able to maintain some right of privacy of your daily life when going from one place to another, imo. I hope something at least comes out of this that prevents police departments from being able to keep data on non-suspects.
That's true, but kind of a more complex issue. They still have to have probable cause and I'm all for making sure that requirement is consistently met and subject to judicial oversight.

I generally support the ACLU, especially on the First Amendment stuff because I think they get that right. I do sometimes disagree with them on the Fourth Amendment issues. I'd agree that there's no valid reason for the to keep data on non-suspects.
Magwa

Chester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

I guess this doesn't affect black men. Most of them have a fat white woman driving them around.
American

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Magwa wrote:
I guess this doesn't affect black men. Most of them have a fat white woman driving them around.
Leave your ex outta this......

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
If this were the exact same issue with someone else in office, you would be complaining louder than anyone.
The fool allegedly from Seattle falls back on the old Nazi/KGB mantra: If you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr marcus bachmann 32,141
Adolf Hitler, 1936 Olympics Berlin 1 hr Bomber Folk 5
liberal war on women (Jul '13) 1 hr LIbEralS 79
Obama says after 9/11, U.S. 'tortured some folks' 2 hr Bomber Folk 1
US troops told not to eat, drink in front of Mu... 3 hr John gotti 23
Penelope Cruz clarifies views in anti-Israel le... 3 hr John gotti 16
Russia has Bond, James Bond 4 hr cantmakeitup 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••