Ban hails Chavez's work for poor

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Smart Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 6, 2013
Ban hails Chavez's work for poor

Source: SAPA (South African Press Association)

New York - UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon paid tribute to the late Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez on Tuesday, hailing his work on behalf of his country's poor and his support of Colombia's peace process.

"The secretary general was saddened by the death of His Excellency Mr Hugo Rafael Chavez Frias, President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela," Ban's office said in a statement after Venezuela announced Chavez's death.

"President Chavez spoke to the challenges and aspirations of the most vulnerable Venezuelans," he continued.

"He provided decisive impetus for new regional integration movements, based on an eminently Latin American vision, while showing solidarity toward other nations in the hemisphere," the statement said.

Read more: http://www.news24.com/World/News/Ban-hails-Ch...

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2 Mar 6, 2013
I am surprised he hasn't been canonized as a Saint yet!
non-starter

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 6, 2013
That actually COULD happen!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#4 Mar 6, 2013
non-starter wrote:
That actually COULD happen!
OK! Tongue in Cheek, what Miracles have been attributed to him? I mean, did he walk on water?
AntiMelting

New Richmond, WI

#5 Mar 6, 2013
He should have gotten a Nobel Peace Prize...right? I mean, our Idiot in Chief did after all.
Ralph

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Mar 6, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>OK! Tongue in Cheek, what Miracles have been attributed to him? I mean, did he walk on water?
He stood up to the US - that alone qualifies as a miracle.

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#7 Mar 6, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
He stood up to the US - that alone qualifies as a miracle.
Way to go Ralphie! Keep those very intelligent comments coming.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 6, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
He stood up to the US - that alone qualifies as a miracle.
He was a Champion of his people!RIP

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#9 Mar 6, 2013
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a Champion of his people!RIP
I really do believe you are sincere in your praise of Chavez. He is your kind of guy.

"Not everyone approved of Chavez's revolution, but they risked their lives if they went public with their criticism. Chavez jailed critical journalists and harassed press outlets that questioned his rule. Armies of pro-Chavez street thugs intimidated, beat and sometimes killed political opponents. A pliant, Chavez-controlled judiciary gave a rubber-stamp of legitimacy to the revolutionary repression. Workers were forbidden from organizing except in approved, state-controlled unions. Elections and referenda were rigged, and international election monitors were kicked out of the country if they tried to do their jobs too effectively."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/03...

By the way, Hitler was a Champion of "his people", too.
AntiMelting

New Richmond, WI

#10 Mar 6, 2013
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a Champion of his people!RIP
Once a slave, always a slave. Guess you truly cannot take the ghetto out of someone.
Ralph

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Mar 6, 2013
I'm on it, 24/7.

BTW, what did you do, hurt Slew's feelings or something? Where is your little buddy?
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Mar 6, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
I really do believe you are sincere in your praise of Chavez. He is your kind of guy.
"Not everyone approved of Chavez's revolution, but they risked their lives if they went public with their criticism. Chavez jailed critical journalists and harassed press outlets that questioned his rule. Armies of pro-Chavez street thugs intimidated, beat and sometimes killed political opponents. A pliant, Chavez-controlled judiciary gave a rubber-stamp of legitimacy to the revolutionary repression. Workers were forbidden from organizing except in approved, state-controlled unions. Elections and referenda were rigged, and international election monitors were kicked out of the country if they tried to do their jobs too effectively."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/03...
By the way, Hitler was a Champion of "his people", too.
So!

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#13 Mar 6, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>

By the way, Hitler was a Champion of "his people", too.
So was Bin Laden.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Mar 6, 2013
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
So was Bin Laden.
So wwas MLK!

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#15 Mar 6, 2013
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text>So wwas MLK!
Did MLK jail or kill his political opponents like Chavez and Hitler did?
Ralph

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Mar 6, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
I really do believe you are sincere in your praise of Chavez. He is your kind of guy.
"Not everyone approved of Chavez's revolution, but they risked their lives if they went public with their criticism. Chavez jailed critical journalists and harassed press outlets that questioned his rule. Armies of pro-Chavez street thugs intimidated, beat and sometimes killed political opponents. A pliant, Chavez-controlled judiciary gave a rubber-stamp of legitimacy to the revolutionary repression. Workers were forbidden from organizing except in approved, state-controlled unions. Elections and referenda were rigged, and international election monitors were kicked out of the country if they tried to do their jobs too effectively."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/03...
By the way, Hitler was a Champion of "his people", too.
So in other words, what you are saying is that Chavez is sort of a Republican?
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Mar 6, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Did MLK jail or kill his political opponents like Chavez and Hitler did?
Nope just the opposite with MLK,but what political opponent did chavez kill liar? it's really to early
for me to be reading your BS. also you're not cunning enough to compare Chavez to Hitler and have anyone believe your lies beside some idiot sore loser sour grapes teabagger! hahaha what a loser drama queen.
AntiMelting

New Richmond, WI

#18 Mar 6, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words, what you are saying is that Chavez is sort of a Republican?
Kinda more like Obama...you know, your messiah, that you kneel and bob to towards the East.
Ralph

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Mar 6, 2013
AntiMelting wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda more like Obama...you know, your messiah, that you kneel and bob to towards the East.
Oh, you mean the kind that actually respects different cultures and isn't a bigot?

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#20 Mar 6, 2013
Yeah. Hugo was a real peach. Apparently taking some lessons from our own Congress.

"Hugo Chavez net worth: Hugo Chavez was a Venezuelan politician who had a net worth of $1 billion at the time of his death on March 5th 2013. A 2010 report from Criminal Justice International Associates (CJIA), a global risk assessment and threat mitigation firm estimated that the Chavez family assets totaled between $1 and $2 billion USD. The vast majority of these assets are oil related and were controlled by Hugo himself prior to his death. The head of the CJIA, Jerry Brewer, asserted that since Hugo's rise to power in 1999, the extended family has amassed its fortune through both legal and illegal methods. Brewer further estimates that the Chavez family and hundreds of other criminal organization have "subtracted $100 billion out of the nearly $1 trillion in oil income made by PDVSA (Venezuela's state controlled oil company), since 1999."

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-poli...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 9 min red and right 33,288
Ferguson rioters destroy businesses, police car... 2 hr Liberal Lover 21
Same-sex marriage could increase Minnesota's an... 3 hr Liberal Lover 4
How do I explain this to my black students? 7 hr Ron 24
Burn Diss Place Down 11 hr LIbEralS 8
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 11 hr LIbEralS 287
The Parents Weren't at the Scene in Ferguson Wed Liberal Lover 2
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:19 am PST

Bleacher Report 1:19AM
New England Patriots vs Green Bay Packers: Breaking Down Green Bay's Game Plan
Bleacher Report 3:15 AM
Patriots vs. Packers: Breaking Down New England's Game Plan
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Patriots vs. Packers: What Are Experts Saying About New England?
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
NFL Week 13 Picks: Final Predictions and Over-Under Odds Before Thursday Night
NBC Sports10:13 AM
Watch No. 12: Tom Brady vs Aaron Rodgers - NBC Sports