Millions Gaining Health Coverage Under Law

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ACA Works

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 1, 2014
WASHINGTON — Millions of Americans will begin receiving health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act on Wednesday after years of contention and a rollout hobbled by delays and technical problems. The decisively new moment in the effort to overhaul the country’s health care system will test the law’s central premise: that extending coverage to far more Americans will improve the nation’s health and help many avoid crippling medical bills.

Starting Wednesday, health insurance companies can no longer deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions and cannot charge higher premiums to women than to men for the same coverage. In most cases, insurers must provide a standard set of benefits prescribed by federal law and regulations. And they cannot set dollar limits on what they spend on “essential health benefits” for a policyholder.

Though this is a milestone for the law, it is unlikely to end the constant partisan battles that began even before its passage nearly four years ago. Late Tuesday, Justice Sonia Sotomayor temporarily blocked the Obama administration from forcing some religious-affiliated groups to provide coverage of birth control or face penalties.

Doctors, hospitals and pharmacists say consumers could initially experience some delays and difficulties as they try to use their new insurance.

FULL story at link.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/us/politics... ;

Judged:

12

12

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
She still HATE the USA

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jan 1, 2014
Those same people now insured by the ACA already had health insurance all th ACA does is provide coverage for a small minority with conditions, otherwise ACA increases the cost by adding thousands of new Government pencil pushers costing BILLIONS.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
And One Gets Screwed

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 1, 2014
Single lady making $8.25 hourly wage and struggling as it is,(At Least She Works) has to ask her young son who does not even live with her, to go online with The ACA site for her because she has never had a computer and has no clue what it is even about as she has a low class job as a cleaner, and it comes out she has to pay $750.00 a month. WHAT?? She cannot afford that obviously. She does have rent to pay and do they mind if she eats? Do they want her living on the streets, which right now with the cold weather in her state she would probably freeze to death. Who are the people she can call for help? It appears no one is interested in making it simple for people applying. There has to be some kind of mess up with that rate but from what I hear, it is almost impossible to talk with a real person. Not one person in the Social Services Dept. will help because, Quote; "they do not get PAID to help with Obama care". There should be a group of the PAID people with Obama care who go to each city in each state to help people like this. They can set up at a local library or Government center, or even a church. C'mon now, if they are forcing people to do this, then help them!!!

Since: Sep 11

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jan 1, 2014
What do you expect? People are being forced to purchase this questionable product by the federal government or be subject to the onslaught of the IRS including fines, wage garnishment or even prison. True tyranny by a government our of control.
Awful Truth

Grantsburg, WI

#6 Jan 2, 2014
If the Messiah's Handlers in the Demokrat Mob were controlled, the Redistribution of Wealth via Obamacare would not have enriched the "Friends of ours".

How many citizens could have had Insurance if the Demokrat Criminals had spent the 2-3 Billion Dollars of Obamacare implementation money on the uninsured, and not on the Dependents with Government Jobs, Michelle's buddies, Barry's Backers, and all the other leaches that are destroying America?

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#9 Jan 2, 2014
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text>
All u people need to shut up and enjoy Obamacare. This is what happens when u elect a commie.
Can I disagree on one small point?

Obama is not a "commie". He is a Marxist with his economic policies.

The economic divide is far wider today than 5 years ago when he took office. He sure is doing a good job with the strategy of "divide and conquer" when it comes to the economic system known as Capitalism.
Don Joe

Maple Grove, MN

#10 Jan 2, 2014
What is the point of giving money to insurance companies if they are not required to pay for any medical care?

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#11 Jan 2, 2014
Don Joe wrote:
What is the point of giving money to insurance companies if they are not required to pay for any medical care?
If the insurance industry was able to be run like most consumer goods industries, you would have choices and companies would deliver a product - just as if it were a can of corn you buy at the grocery store. If they did not deliver, they would be out of business.

But when you have a 3rd party payer system in a quasi-monopoly authorized by the Federal Imperial Government, you will never get a good value for your purchase.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jan 7, 2014
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
If the insurance industry was able to be run like most consumer goods industries, you would have choices and companies would deliver a product - just as if it were a can of corn you buy at the grocery store. If they did not deliver, they would be out of business.
But when you have a 3rd party payer system in a quasi-monopoly authorized by the Federal Imperial Government, you will never get a good value for your purchase.
Nonsense. We have mostly duopolies, no competition at all. The reason there is no competition in the medical industry, is exactly because it is rich enough to lobby to get all the laws it wants to drive prices through the roof. And now we are paying fantastic salaries to insurance CEOs for nothing in return. We don't pay it because of too much regulation, but because of not enough.

As to the federal imperial government, we have a fascist government. Clearly the big corporations pay enough (in campaign donations) to own most politicians, and they hire the lobbyists who actually write all the laws. That defines the US government as fascist. Those corporations then write laws to give themselves the equivalent of a monopoly, preventing any competition. We no longer have a democratic republic.

I still see no reason for the third party to be accepting all the money and dolling out a fraction of the health care as they see won't hurt their profits.
Yesteryear

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jan 7, 2014
Insurance companies LOVE ObamaCare. More paying customers with NO increase in their costs. Everyone was already covered one way or the other. Those with terminal preexisting conditions won’t live no matter what insurance they have.

Government LOVES ObamaCare because they got to add THOUSANDS of new pencil pushers to the ranks of Union Government “workers”. St Louis County Minnesota added 16 new employees to implement ObamaCare. How many total in Minnesota were hired? NONE of these new Government employees are Doctors or Nurses, they are pencil pushers adding nothing to improve health care.

ObamaCare is junk!!!!

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#17 Jan 8, 2014
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense. We have mostly duopolies, no competition at all. The reason there is no competition in the medical industry, is exactly because it is rich enough to lobby to get all the laws it wants to drive prices through the roof. And now we are paying fantastic salaries to insurance CEOs for nothing in return. We don't pay it because of too much regulation, but because of not enough.
As to the federal imperial government, we have a fascist government. Clearly the big corporations pay enough (in campaign donations) to own most politicians, and they hire the lobbyists who actually write all the laws. That defines the US government as fascist. Those corporations then write laws to give themselves the equivalent of a monopoly, preventing any competition. We no longer have a democratic republic.
I still see no reason for the third party to be accepting all the money and dolling out a fraction of the health care as they see won't hurt their profits.
Wow. What are you smoking there Dumbo?

You are saying that your get a better quality of product when you have more government regulation than when you leave it to the consumer to decide what he or she wants to buy? Really?

You are so very wrong.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#19 Jan 8, 2014
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text> Sice you're such a big shot Capitalist can you please explain Supply side economics
and what offset that science and were is the point of equalibrium?
Mr. Fake Black Guy, first look up the Laffer Curve and the relationship between tax cuts and government revenues.

Then take a class called Economics SL through http://www.pamojaeducation.com/IB-online-cour...

Upon successful completion of the class, come back and we can have a rational discussion. Until that time, you are incapable of understanding any of the nuances of Supply Side Economics.
Fox and Friends

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jan 8, 2014
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text> Sice you're such a big shot Capitalist can you please explain Supply side economics
and what offset that science and were is the point of equalibrium?
Here's a good read for you and it explains why the Democrats didn't cut entitlement spending like they promised to do when they cut a budget deal with Reagan. Never trust a Republican and trust a Democrat even less.

The Education of David Stockman
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1...
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jan 9, 2014
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. What are you smoking there Dumbo?
You are saying that your get a better quality of product when you have more government regulation than when you leave it to the consumer to decide what he or she wants to buy? Really?
You are so very wrong.
No, I didn't say that and you know it. You are simply creating a straw man to burn, and claim I supported it.

You get a better product when you have competition, not when you have monopolies deciding what products you get to choose from, and what price you have to pay. Unless you have regulations, you don't have choice.

You are very confused about regulation. There is way too much regulation on most people, but the rich corporations have effectively no regulations at all.

Consider a football game. If there are no rules, it is not football. If one team decides it gets to put 30 people on the field instead of just 11, or they get 120 attempts to move the ball 10 yards. Without those regulations, there is no game, one side simply declares itself the victor and gets the spoils.

That is what is happening to our economy. The rich and powerful get to make all the rules and change them to suit themselves, while we get robbed of the fruit of our labor. That is why more than 100% of the growth of our nation over the past 30 years has gone to the very rich, and the standard of living for everyone else has been falling.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jan 9, 2014
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Fake Black Guy, first look up the Laffer Curve and the relationship between tax cuts and government revenues.
Then take a class called Economics SL through http://www.pamojaeducation.com/IB-online-cour...
Upon successful completion of the class, come back and we can have a rational discussion. Until that time, you are incapable of understanding any of the nuances of Supply Side Economics.
I already study economics 101 and 102 at the University and you deflected from my simple question because you can't answer it because your a fake and you're not a academic.
so you take a class in Econ . or any other science like accounting . go you're never to old to get a real education instead of a redneck/Ditto Rush's hearsay education liar..
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Jan 9, 2014
Fox and Friends wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a good read for you and it explains why the Democrats didn't cut entitlement spending like they promised to do when they cut a budget deal with Reagan. Never trust a Republican and trust a Democrat even less.
The Education of David Stockman
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1...
Well I haven't read your link yet,you caught my eye and my interest when you mention David Stockman I worked for David Stockman during the Reagan years,I worked in Management Reports for the U.S.D.A and I am the one who got him to admit that supply-side was just a made plan and not a science really Man I did that. now I going to read your link and hit you back also it nice to see a republican with some sort education instead of repeating the Rush show all day and night like your fraudelent buddies.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Jan 9, 2014
Fox and Friends wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a good read for you and it explains why the Democrats didn't cut entitlement spending like they promised to do when they cut a budget deal with Reagan. Never trust a Republican and trust a Democrat even less.
The Education of David Stockman
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1...
I did a speed read over your link and I knew and Stockmen knew that Laffer curve was just a deflection to llower taxes for the wealthy and cut domestic spending for the poor
that way the fat cats didn't have to pay their fair share and Stockmen thew it but he was force by his boss at the WH to play along with RWR deception.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#25 Jan 9, 2014
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I didn't say that and you know it. You are simply creating a straw man to burn, and claim I supported it.
That is exactly what you said.
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You get a better product when you have competition, not when you have monopolies deciding what products you get to choose from, and what price you have to pay. Unless you have regulations, you don't have choice.
Bingo! But setting up quasi-monopolies in the form of a very limited number of companies that the Federal Imperial Government allows to sell a product is not a competitive marketplace.

Obamacare was written by the lobbyists and the large insurance companies. They are the ones that determined what was allowable and not allowable. They then handed over the legislation to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. No one read the laws before they were passed. No one – except the insurance companies that wrote the laws – knew what was in there.

This is how asinine that is: What if I wrote the specs for a job that I am bidding on. I would write those specs so that I prevent any of my competitors from being able to bid on that job. That is NOT a competitive marketplace. It is crony capitalism…that is the Obama Way.
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very confused about regulation. There is way too much regulation on most people, but the rich corporations have effectively no regulations at all.
No, I am not confused at all. I am a staunch supporter of a free marketplace. The consumer should be the ultimate regulator.

If you put out a crappy product, consumers will turn to someone who provides a quality product at a good price. If you are over priced in the marketplace, another of your competitors will undercut your prices to gain an advantage in the marketplace. That is what Capitalism is.

A free market allows the consumer to be the final arbiter. Not some government bureaucrat who has a Napoleon Complex and is going to show the world what a tough guy he is.
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider a football game. If there are no rules, it is not football. If one team decides it gets to put 30 people on the field instead of just 11, or they get 120 attempts to move the ball 10 yards. Without those regulations, there is no game, one side simply declares itself the victor and gets the spoils.
The consumer is the referee in a free market. There is no better regulation than that.
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what is happening to our economy. The rich and powerful get to make all the rules and change them to suit themselves, while we get robbed of the fruit of our labor. That is why more than 100% of the growth of our nation over the past 30 years has gone to the very rich, and the standard of living for everyone else has been falling.
You are partially right. It is the politically rich and powerful that make the rules and screw over the hard working folks like us.

As you can well imagine, I do not donate to Gov GoogleyEyes campaign funds. How much cooperation will I get when I call his office and say I want to discuss the economic climate in the State of Minnesota with his staff? None. But if I were to be on his campaign donor list, I’d have instant access to the over medicated man himself.

This is why you have to get government out of regulating the private sector markets. You need to let the consumer be the regulator. The consumer gets it right every time.

Crony capitalism is what drives both the Democrats and Republicans these days. And make no mistake, the next time the Republicans gain power in MN, they will try to out do the Dems when it comes to taking care of their “friends”– code for donors. Rid the marketplace of the ability of these government lackeys to regulate the marketplace and you will again see prosperity for all.
Marty Costello

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Jan 13, 2014
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly what you said.
<quoted text>
Bingo! But setting up quasi-monopolies in the form of a very limited number of companies that the Federal Imperial Government allows to sell a product is not a competitive marketplace.
Obamacare was written by the lobbyists and the large insurance companies. They are the ones that determined what was allowable and not allowable. They then handed over the legislation to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. No one read the laws before they were passed. No one – except the insurance companies that wrote the laws – knew what was in there.
This is how asinine that is: What if I wrote the specs for a job that I am bidding on. I would write those specs so that I prevent any of my competitors from being able to bid on that job. That is NOT a competitive marketplace. It is crony capitalism…that is the Obama Way.
<quoted text>
No, I am not confused at all. I am a staunch supporter of a free marketplace. The consumer should be the ultimate regulator.
If you put out a crappy product, consumers will turn to someone who provides a quality product at a good price. If you are over priced in the marketplace, another of your competitors will undercut your prices to gain an advantage in the marketplace. That is what Capitalism is.
A free market allows the consumer to be the final arbiter. Not some government bureaucrat who has a Napoleon Complex and is going to show the world what a tough guy he is.
<quoted text>
The consumer is the referee in a free market. There is no better regulation than that.
<quoted text>
You are partially right. It is the politically rich and powerful that make the rules and screw over the hard working folks like us.
As you can well imagine, I do not donate to Gov GoogleyEyes campaign funds. How much cooperation will I get when I call his office and say I want to discuss the economic climate in the State of Minnesota with his staff? None. But if I were to be on his campaign donor list, I’d have instant access to the over medicated man himself.
This is why you have to get government out of regulating the private sector markets. You need to let the consumer be the regulator. The consumer gets it right every time.
Crony capitalism is what drives both the Democrats and Republicans these days. And make no mistake, the next time the Republicans gain power in MN, they will try to out do the Dems when it comes to taking care of their “friends”– code for donors. Rid the marketplace of the ability of these government lackeys to regulate the marketplace and you will again see prosperity for all.
Why don't you ask the folks in west virgina

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#31 Jan 14, 2014
Marty Costello wrote:
<quoted text> Why don't you ask the folks in west virgina
Another clueless attempt at a diversion from Dumbo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sex 2 hr Oldman5658 5
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 4 hr Earthling-1 33,471
Walker Wins Unions Lose (May '12) 9 hr LIbEralS 29
Veteran Freed From MSP VA Dental Dept Phone Abu... 11 hr American_Sons 13
Review: State Wide Protective Agency (Jul '11) 11 hr Martin Scott treptow 84
8 dead in aussie stabbing 13 hr Space ace 1
Mall of America Protest 13 hr Sunshine 13
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:45 am PST

NBC Sports11:45AM
Just like old (sad) times: Buccaneers double-digit home underdogs vs. Packers
Bleacher Report12:03 PM
Kyle Rudolph Injury: Updates on Vikings TE's Ankle, Knee and Return
NBC Sports12:13 PM
Bryan Bulaga questionable due to concussion
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Eddie Lacy Says He's 'Very Blind' but Doesn't Want to Wear Prescription Goggles
Bleacher Report 2:50 PM
Complete Week 15 Preview for Green Bay