Finger pointing for fiscal cliff begins

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Dec 27, 2012
Reid says fiscal cliff dive likely; blasts Boehner for lacking leadership
By Olivier Knox, Yahoo! News

White House Correspondent

PostsBy Olivier Knox, Yahoo! News | The Ticket – 1 hr 5 mins agoEmail 0Share TweetShare0Print
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (R)(D-NV) hugs Speaker of the House John Boehner as Senate Minority Leader Mitch …With a deal to avert the so-called "fiscal cliff" nowhere in sight, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Thursday predicted a compromise would not be reached in time to avert the tax increases and automatic spending cuts set to be triggered on January 1. Reid also criticized Republican House Speaker John Boehner in unusually personal terms, accusing him of running the House as a “dictatorship” and blasting him for letting lawmakers out for vacation.

Boehner will be to blame “if we go over the cliff, and it looks like that’s where we’re headed,” Reid insisted as the Senate returned to work for a post-Christmas session focused on disaster relief for Sandy victims and renewing key government surveillance powers.

Reid's speech on the Senate floor came shortly before President Barack Obama returned to Washington from Hawaii to resume discussions of how to avoid the fiscal cliff. White House Spokesman Dan Pfeiffer said Obama had spoken to Reid, Boehner, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell Wednesday evening.

Reid, a Nevada Democrat, repeatedly pressed Boehner to have the House take up a Senate-passed bill extending income tax cuts on income under $250,000, calling that measure the only “viable escape route.” House Republicans have thus far balked at raising taxes at all.

“The Speaker just has a few days left to change his mind,” Reid said.“But I have to be very honest…I don’t know, time-wise, how it can happen now.”

"Speaker Boehner should call members of the House back today," Reid said, adding that the Ohio Republican "seems to care more about keeping his speakership" than pushing his party to accept a deal that would avert a tax increase for all but the highest income taxpayers. Democrats have repeatedly leveled that charge at Boehner, whose reelection on January 3 is not seriously in doubt despite ever-louder conservative grumbling.

Reid also accused Boehner of operating a "dictatorship" that had shut out House Democrats and all but the most conservative voices in the GOP, saying that the Senate-passed bill would pass with mostly Democratic votes but some Republican support as well.

“Nothing can move forward in regards to our budget crisis unless Speaker Boehner and Leader McConnell are willing to participate in coming up with a bipartisan plan,” Reid warned.“Speaker Boehner is unwilling to negotiate, we’ve not heard a word from Leader McConnell, nothing is happening. Democrat’s can’t put together a plan on their own,” he said.

The Dems wanted revenue increases and took all the cuts off the table, and then blame the Republicans for failing to negotiate in good faith? I think there is plenty of blame to go around, Reid and Pelosi can't move off the budget cuts without alienating the left, and Boehner and McConnell can't move off the tax cuts without alienating the right portion of their parties.
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 27, 2012
What, no Dumbo comment about this all being Bush's fault?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3 Dec 27, 2012
We wanted a balance approach, here it is, the fiscal cliff, raises taxes, cuts spending! What the hell is everyone worried about? This is what we finally agreed to sometime back and now it is going to happen! Education gets cut, the Military gets cut, infrastructure get cut, Taxes go up for everyone! On the spending side, Education/infrastructure and the Military were part of the problem in building the deficit, now they are part of the solution. On the revenue side, all those Bush haters will get what they wanted, the end of the Bush tax cuts! So what is the issue again??? Sound to me like a good start
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#4 Dec 27, 2012
SO, you visit my city frequently, but couldn't make a dojo meeting UNTIL YOUR BALLS DESCEND ?? Funny, you've been claiming you left, but now you're just ALWAYS frightened, huh ??? LMAOROTFU~!
Amused at Slew

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 27, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
SO, you visit my city frequently, but couldn't make a dojo meeting UNTIL YOUR BALLS DESCEND ?? Funny, you've been claiming you left, but now you're just ALWAYS frightened, huh ??? LMAOROTFU~!
Why don't you tell us again how you are opposed to the "pool tax" the Republicans want?
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#7 Dec 27, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
For the New Year!

Serve Humanity, Go to the Light.

Why do you bother to exist, just go.

Certainly You KNOW how defective you are, this cannot be the only place where any that have contact with you run screaming from the pain that contact with you causes?

PLEASE just leave mankind!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
St. Anthony, Minnesota to Pay $200,000 to Settl... 22 min Sunshine 2
Mall of America Protest 58 min cowboy chris 17
Veteran Freed From MSP VA Dental Dept Phone Abu... 3 hr American_Sons 14
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) Sat Earthling-1 33,474
Walker Wins Unions Lose (May '12) Fri LIbEralS 29
Review: State Wide Protective Agency (Jul '11) Fri Martin Scott treptow 84
8 dead in aussie stabbing Fri Space ace 1
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web