Minnesota faces $1.1 billion budget s...

Minnesota faces $1.1 billion budget shortfall

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Smart Liberal

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#1 Dec 5, 2012
Oh my, oh my. What will our poor Gov GoogleyEyes do? Do you think he will crawl under his desk again and hide for the next 30 days?

And of course AFSCME is saying raise taxes. It is what they do. They pad payrolls with unnecessary employees so they can increase the dues paid each month, and then they can buy more politicians like good old Gov GoogleyEyes.

What will he do? Of course, he and his DFL buddies will increase taxes. They will never cut back any program, no matter how wasteful and bloated it is.

----------

Minnesota faces $1.1 billion budget shortfall; employees union calls for tax increase

By Bill Salisbury

December 5, 2012
10:34:55 AM CST

Minnesota state government faces a $1.1 billion budget shortfall during the next two years, Minnesota Management & Budget announced Wednesday, Dec. 5.

The projected deficit is the same figure that state financial officials forecast in February.

The agency said the state has enough money in the current budget to pay back $1.3 billion of the $2.4 billion that Gov. Mark Dayton and the Legislature borrowed from schools last year by delaying state aid payments. But there won't be sufficient funds in the two-year budget period that starts July 1 to continue buying down the school shift.

Finance officials will unveil the complete budget forecast at the Capitol at 11:45 a.m. today.

First to react to the budget numbers, the state's largest public employee union called for a $6 billion tax increase to erase the red ink and improve state services.

"We need $6 billion to dig ourselves our of the hole and pay for the things Minnesotans care about: brainpower schools, middle-class jobs, safe transportation and property tax relief," Eliot Seide, director of the 43,000-member AFSCME Council 5, said in a press release.

The state AFL-CIO also quickly advocated a tax increase.

"If we want to continue to have strong schools, a 21st century transportation infrastructure, create family-sustaining jobs and care for those unable to care for themselves, Minnesota will need a significant influx of new tax revenue," AFL-CIO President Shar Knutson said in a statement.

Deficits have been common in Minnesota for much of the last decade. After the U.S. economy plummeted in 2008, deficits here ballooned: former Gov. Tim Pawlenty and lawmakers faced a $5.27 billion deficit in December 2008, and two years later incoming Gov. Dayton and a new Republican majority came into office looking at a $6.2 billion deficit.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_22128932/minneso...

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#2 Dec 5, 2012
Good thing we have a stadium deal. Maybe they can come up with some new pull tab games.
Bridgework

Olathe, KS

#3 Dec 5, 2012
cantmakeitup wrote:
Good thing we have a stadium deal. Maybe they can come up with some new pull tab games.
I was about to say the same thing. A quick question; is that a shortfall on spending increases, or is it a revinue shortfall on the existing budget level?
Cloud 9

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Dec 5, 2012
DFL are commited to NEVER reducing head counts of Union employees.

Soooo it's raise taxes!!

It's what Unions do and make no mistake the DFL is 100% controlled by Unions.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Dec 5, 2012
$6 BILLION in increased taxes. Just who does the AFSCME think will pay that? There are not enough 'rich' people to pay for that kind of tax increase. I guess it will paid for by average workers, like public employees.
Cloud 9

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Dec 5, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
$6 BILLION in increased taxes. Just who does the AFSCME think will pay that? There are not enough 'rich' people to pay for that kind of tax increase. I guess it will paid for by average workers, like public employees.
Perpetual funding.

Public employees are paid more so their taxes are raised etc.

An infinite loop with one result, inflation.

When will they ever learn?
Truth in polling

Olathe, KS

#7 Dec 5, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
$4.9 billion in new spending.....
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 5, 2012
Truth in polling wrote:
<quoted text>
$4.9 billion in new spending.....
$4.9 billion in raises and benefit increases for AFSCME and MAPE members.
Amused Slew

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Dec 5, 2012
no worries, we can SPEND our way out of this mess. Oh that's right barry soetoro is already trying to do just that - but there is this thing called the fiscal cliff and we are fast approaching it ( THANK GOD ) the spending will be stopped !

And of course AFSCME is saying raise taxes. It is what they do. They pad payrolls with unnecessary employees so they can increase the dues paid each month, and then they can buy more politicians like good old Gov GoogleyEyes.
What will he do? Of course, he and his DFL buddies will increase taxes. They will never cut back any program, no matter how wasteful and bloated it is.
----------
Minnesota faces $1.1 billion budget shortfall; employees union calls for tax increase
By Bill Salisbury
December 5, 2012
10:34:55 AM CST
Minnesota state government faces a $1.1 billion budget shortfall during the next two years, Minnesota Management & Budget announced Wednesday, Dec. 5.
The projected deficit is the same figure that state financial officials forecast in February.
The agency said the state has enough money in the current budget to pay back $1.3 billion of the $2.4 billion that Gov. Mark Dayton and the Legislature borrowed from schools last year by delaying state aid payments. But there won't be sufficient funds in the two-year budget period that starts July 1 to continue buying down the school shift.
Finance officials will unveil the complete budget forecast at the Capitol at 11:45 a.m. today.
First to react to the budget numbers, the state's largest public employee union called for a $6 billion tax increase to erase the red ink and improve state services.
"We need $6 billion to dig ourselves our of the hole and pay for the things Minnesotans care about: brainpower schools, middle-class jobs, safe transportation and property tax relief," Eliot Seide, director of the 43,000-member AFSCME Council 5, said in a press release.
The state AFL-CIO also quickly advocated a tax increase.
"If we want to continue to have strong schools, a 21st century transportation infrastructure, create family-sustaining jobs and care for those unable to care for themselves, Minnesota will need a significant influx of new tax revenue," AFL-CIO President Shar Knutson said in a statement.
Deficits have been common in Minnesota for much of the last decade. After the U.S. economy plummeted in 2008, deficits here ballooned: former Gov. Tim Pawlenty and lawmakers faced a $5.27 billion deficit in December 2008, and two years later incoming Gov. Dayton and a new Republican majority came into office looking at a $6.2 billion deficit.
http://www.twincities.com/ci_22128932/minneso...
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#10 Dec 5, 2012
Oddly, you all liked the last administrations tax cuts, where did you figure the money came from, if it wasn't future revenue ??? MORONS ~!
non-starter

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Dec 5, 2012
Amused Slew wrote:
Oddly, you all liked the last administrations tax cuts, where did you figure the money came from, if it wasn't future revenue ??? MORONS ~!
It isn't revenue, call it what it is, taxes. Just because progressives came up with a code word for taxes that their constituency can't decipher, don't think we can't. This should be a zero sum game, if the budget doesn't work at some average level of revenue cap, you have to lay of or delay projects, or something else. My budget doesn't allow me to go out and raise my kids allowances when I am bringing home less money, neither should the state's budget allow for raises and additionaly hiring when the economy is slow and revenue decreasing. The state needs to be conservative, but it won't be. Expect another reversal in two years time.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#12 Dec 5, 2012
Oddly, you all liked the last administrations TAX cuts, where did you figure the money came from, if it wasn't future revenue ??? MORONS ~!

Learn to read, MORON ~!
Tim Pawlenty

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Dec 5, 2012
The answer is obvious. Let it float downstream. Stiff some people. "Defer" payments. Schools don't need money anyway.

As a bonus the Einsteins that buy into my tactics will vote for me for POTUS too. It's a two fer.
Amused Slew

Kent, WA

#14 Dec 5, 2012
Bushwhacker "rules" right ?? LMAOROTFU~!
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Dec 5, 2012
Tim Pawlenty wrote:
The answer is obvious. Let it float downstream. Stiff some people. "Defer" payments. Schools don't need money anyway.
As a bonus the Einsteins that buy into my tactics will vote for me for POTUS too. It's a two fer.
That's exactly what Dayton did last year. The Republicans submitted a budget, Dayton shut down state government anyway, and three weeks later he signed the same bill that was submitted before the shutdown.

Smart Liberal

Former MN Tax Payer

#16 Dec 6, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly what Dayton did last year. The Republicans submitted a budget, Dayton shut down state government anyway, and three weeks later he signed the same bill that was submitted before the shutdown.
The only problem with that was the budget was something like $400 million higher than the prior one.

The Republicans need to grow a spine and cut the size of government. They need to be loud and clear with their mision to reduce the size of government, or be honest and say they are the DFL wanna be Party.
Bob Schmahl

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Dec 6, 2012
Minnesotans don't want the size of government reduced. You lost the election in Minnesota BIG TIME. The reason we are in the budget shortfall is you daffy Republicans. Had we raised taxes on the rich instead of deferring payments, we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.

You goofy wingnuts need to go back to your insane conspricacy theories and leave government to us.
The Truth

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Dec 6, 2012
Bob Schmahl wrote:
Minnesotans don't want the size of government reduced. You lost the election in Minnesota BIG TIME. The reason we are in the budget shortfall is you daffy Republicans. Had we raised taxes on the rich instead of deferring payments, we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.
You goofy wingnuts need to go back to your insane conspricacy theories and leave government to us.
You're not Minnesotan and you don't speak for them.
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#19 Dec 6, 2012
A message to the Grown ups in Minnesota.

Get the fauch out!

I left for a little bit of Freedom and Liberty in Wisconsin.

Of course I still need to supplement my Children's income because they have not left the Land of Fruits and Nuts yet.

But I no longer am forced to support the millions of Dependent Demokrat Sheeple in the Peoples Republic of Minnesota, and can actually "choose" to support who I "choose" without The State using the Force of Law to facilitate the confiscation of my wealth to sustain the Scum Layer.

Smart Liberal

Former MN Tax Payer

#20 Dec 6, 2012
Bob Schmahl wrote:
Those Minnesotans that vote for the DFL and bigger government typically - like you - say they want someone else to pay for it through higher taxes.

The day will come when you run out of other people's money to pay for your lifestyle.

What will you do then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 7 hr Actual Science 35,576
the NON affordable care act (Oct '13) 13 hr LIbEralS 280
Trump for President, He will win. watch Fri Cary Cottle 5
Review: MXT Associates (Aug '11) Aug 25 Sarah 10
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) Aug 20 Phineas 523
Welcome To Minnesota Mr. Trump Aug 20 LIbEralS 3
News Prison sentence for notable defense attorney Sa... (May '11) Aug 19 Post them 19

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages