Colorado Democrats Pass Bold New Gun Control Measures

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Awful Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Colorado Democrats Pass Bold New Gun Control Measures In House Committee

Source: Huffington Post

After a full day Tuesday of listening to testimony from gun control advocates and opponents, Colorado Democrats passed two bold new bills aimed at curbing gun violence in a state that has the dubious distinction of being the home to two of the bloodiest mass shootings in American history -- Columbine and Aurora.

First, the House Judiciary Committee passed House Bill 1229, on a 7 to 4 party line vote, which requires universal background checks on all private gun sales in Colorado.

Then, late Tuesday night, the committee passed a bill that bans the sale of high capacity gun magazines that hold more than 15 rounds or more than five shotgun shells. A person who already owns a high-capacity magazine fitting the description would be able to continue to own the magazine but would have to maintain continuous possession of it. Late Tuesday, HP-1224 was amended to increase the amount of rounds in a magazine to 15, instad of 10, and was also passed on a party line vote of 7 to 4. Both bills now head to the House floor for another vote.

Rep. Rhonda Fields (D-Aurora) was a sponsor on both pieces of legislation and was not pleased with the amendment which added an additional five rounds to the maximum capacity of a gun magazine. "Many of those people are critically injured for life because of their wounds," The Denver Post reports that Field said. "These high-capacity magazines allow a gun to fire large amounts of bullets to kill people as fast as possible."

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/13/ban-...

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 13, 2013
 
Awful Truth wrote:
Colorado Democrats Pass Bold New Gun Control Measures In House Committee
Source: Huffington Post
After a full day Tuesday of listening to testimony from gun control advocates and opponents, Colorado Democrats passed two bold new bills aimed at curbing gun violence in a state that has the dubious distinction of being the home to two of the bloodiest mass shootings in American history -- Columbine and Aurora.
First, the House Judiciary Committee passed House Bill 1229, on a 7 to 4 party line vote, which requires universal background checks on all private gun sales in Colorado.
Then, late Tuesday night, the committee passed a bill that bans the sale of high capacity gun magazines that hold more than 15 rounds or more than five shotgun shells. A person who already owns a high-capacity magazine fitting the description would be able to continue to own the magazine but would have to maintain continuous possession of it. Late Tuesday, HP-1224 was amended to increase the amount of rounds in a magazine to 15, instad of 10, and was also passed on a party line vote of 7 to 4. Both bills now head to the House floor for another vote.
Rep. Rhonda Fields (D-Aurora) was a sponsor on both pieces of legislation and was not pleased with the amendment which added an additional five rounds to the maximum capacity of a gun magazine. "Many of those people are critically injured for life because of their wounds," The Denver Post reports that Field said. "These high-capacity magazines allow a gun to fire large amounts of bullets to kill people as fast as possible."
Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/13/ban-...
like that is going to stop anyone. especially with the word of what 3D printers can do.
.
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130212-more-m... Defense Distributed, recently unveiled a new 3D printed gun magazine and named it "Cuomo".
.
http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/... Defense Distributed hasnít yet released the 3D printer files of its Cuomo mag online, but plans to do so over the weekend, Wilson said.
.
one can get the 3D printer kits that are out there for as little as $350. if not cheaper.
Capt Crunch

Sedona, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 13, 2013
 
So, that's what bold looks like. I'll pass.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

You'll pass gas, like always...
Awful Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 14, 2013
 
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
like that is going to stop anyone. especially with the word of what 3D printers can do.
Huh?

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 14, 2013
 
Awful Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
if it can be translated into a CAD program. it can be printed on a 3D printer. this includes firearms. as in making parts for them.
.
a group made a entire firearm out of plastic via 3D printers like the Prusa. it managed to fire off six shots before disintergrating. the ones who made it. are not only studying the video. but what is left of the firearm to make a much better one out of plastic.
.
to give you a better idea on what 3D printing is. http://www.ask.com/wiki/3D_printing... Additive manufacturing or 3D printing[1] is a process of making a three-dimensional solid object of virtually any shape from a digital model. 3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes.[2] 3D printing is considered distinct from traditional machining techniques, which mostly rely on the removal of material by methods such as cutting or drilling (subtractive processes).
A materials printer usually performs 3D printing processes using digital technology. Since the start of the twenty-first century there has been a large growth in the sales of these machines, and their price has dropped substantially.[3]
The technology is used in jewelry, footwear, industrial design, architecture, engineering and construction (AEC), automotive, aerospace, dental and medical industries, education, geographic information systems, civil engineering, and many other fields.
.
the site above. also has food that was printed in 3D format.
.
to give more examples of what can be done. this next site is loaded with stuff other folks have created via 3D printers. mostly plastics. there is a few laser cut items too. http://www.thingiverse.com/
.
most of the machines I have seen can easily fit on a nightstand sized table. some are larger. they can easily make the parts for the next size larger machine.
.
in fact there are vids on Youtube. some by my friends who have these printers. my husband is planning on sending a vid eventually.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 14, 2013
 
Abused Slew wrote:
Window dressing. Nothing more.
21st century technology. Deal with it.
Seattle Slew have at it

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 14, 2013
 
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
if it can be translated into a CAD program. it can be printed on a 3D printer. this includes firearms. as in making parts for them.
.
a group made a entire firearm out of plastic via 3D printers like the Prusa. it managed to fire off six shots before disintergrating. the ones who made it. are not only studying the video. but what is left of the firearm to make a much better one out of plastic.
.
to give you a better idea on what 3D printing is. http://www.ask.com/wiki/3D_printing... Additive manufacturing or 3D printing[1] is a process of making a three-dimensional solid object of virtually any shape from a digital model. 3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes.[2] 3D printing is considered distinct from traditional machining techniques, which mostly rely on the removal of material by methods such as cutting or drilling (subtractive processes).
A materials printer usually performs 3D printing processes using digital technology. Since the start of the twenty-first century there has been a large growth in the sales of these machines, and their price has dropped substantially.[3]
The technology is used in jewelry, footwear, industrial design, architecture, engineering and construction (AEC), automotive, aerospace, dental and medical industries, education, geographic information systems, civil engineering, and many other fields.
.
the site above. also has food that was printed in 3D format.
.
to give more examples of what can be done. this next site is loaded with stuff other folks have created via 3D printers. mostly plastics. there is a few laser cut items too. http://www.thingiverse.com/
.
most of the machines I have seen can easily fit on a nightstand sized table. some are larger. they can easily make the parts for the next size larger machine.
.
in fact there are vids on Youtube. some by my friends who have these printers. my husband is planning on sending a vid eventually.
While there are guns made of plastic most of their chambers and barrels and bolts are metal because of the high pressures in those parts.

As far as a 3D printer being able to make gun parts, there are many third world countries making AK47s with little high tech equipment much less a 3D printer/computer.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 14, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Capt Crunch wrote:
So, that's what bold looks like. I'll pass.
When you pass, have your next of kin send me your notarized obituary!
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 14, 2013
 
Criminals don't care about gun control laws.
Awful Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 14, 2013
 
So according to you wingnuts, fully automatic weapons as well as all sizes of artillery and even tactical nuclear weapons should be legal for people to own?

ROFLOMAO!!!!!

So Consistent can have a cannon in his backyard and fire it at his local city hall because he feels the local officials are all commies, right?
Seattle Slew have at it

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 14, 2013
 
Awful Truth wrote:
So according to you wingnuts, fully automatic weapons as well as all sizes of artillery and even tactical nuclear weapons should be legal for people to own?
ROFLOMAO!!!!!
So Consistent can have a cannon in his backyard and fire it at his local city hall because he feels the local officials are all commies, right?
It's quite legal to own a cannon, they are nothing but a big gun. However as you well know it's not legal to damage city hall, even with a rock.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 14, 2013
 
I see you dodged the question, funny... a man would have answered it directly. Of course, you realize guns are too dangerous to continue to proliferate, you're just too weak to admit it.
Seattle Slew have at it

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 14, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
I see you dodged the question, funny... a man would have answered it directly. Of course, you realize guns are too dangerous to continue to proliferate, you're just too weak to admit it.
Take firearms training, buy a 22rf handgun and have some fun shooting.

Report back when you are comfortable using a handgun.

People who have a fear of the unknown are best off after dealing with the fear.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 14, 2013
 
Nice ass-u-mption, butt... wrong as usual...

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 14, 2013
 
Seattle Slew have at it wrote:
<quoted text>
While there are guns made of plastic most of their chambers and barrels and bolts are metal because of the high pressures in those parts.
As far as a 3D printer being able to make gun parts, there are many third world countries making AK47s with little high tech equipment much less a 3D printer/computer.
there are 3D printers to make metal parts too. currently though. they are more expensive than what the common Joe or Jo can afford at this point of time.
.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143552-3d-... The real breakthrough that has enabled 3D printing for the masses has been the laser. Spray welding is a technique that has been used for decades to build up worn motor shafts, but it is far too crude for controlled additive printing. Spray welding uses a gravity-fed powdered metal dispenser integrated into a special oxygen-acetylene torch head which melts the powder as it is dispensed.
.
http://3dprintingindustry.com/2012/12/05/supe... Concept Laser, a manufacturer of industrial grade, metal 3D printers introduced its latest, large-scale laser melting system at this yearís Euromold event.
.
http://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/show-mate... 3D printing in stainless steel - A Prometal 3D printing machine uses an inkjet head to deposit an organic binder onto a stainless steel powder surface. Each layer of powder is adhered in succession until an object is formed. After the printing has finished the object is placed in an oven to cure the binder.
.
.
I admit I had the same attitude about 3D printing. but after seeing some friends and their machines. if you can imagine it and use a CAD program to make a digital model for the printer to follow. the stars are the limit at this point.
Seattle Slew have at it

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 14, 2013
 
Amused Slew wrote:
Nice ass-u-mption, butt... wrong as usual...
Explain..

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 14, 2013
 
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
there are 3D printers to make metal parts too. currently though. they are more expensive than what the common Joe or Jo can afford at this point of time.
.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143552-3d-... The real breakthrough that has enabled 3D printing for the masses has been the laser. Spray welding is a technique that has been used for decades to build up worn motor shafts, but it is far too crude for controlled additive printing. Spray welding uses a gravity-fed powdered metal dispenser integrated into a special oxygen-acetylene torch head which melts the powder as it is dispensed.
.
http://3dprintingindustry.com/2012/12/05/supe... Concept Laser, a manufacturer of industrial grade, metal 3D printers introduced its latest, large-scale laser melting system at this yearís Euromold event.
.
http://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/show-mate... 3D printing in stainless steel - A Prometal 3D printing machine uses an inkjet head to deposit an organic binder onto a stainless steel powder surface. Each layer of powder is adhered in succession until an object is formed. After the printing has finished the object is placed in an oven to cure the binder.
.
.
I admit I had the same attitude about 3D printing. but after seeing some friends and their machines. if you can imagine it and use a CAD program to make a digital model for the printer to follow. the stars are the limit at this point.
Maybe too expensive for the common folks but the meth, coke and heroin, and human traffickers as well as the gun runners of the world would gladly pass up a new gold and platinum "grill" for a machine that can manufacture any untraceable gun they want.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 14, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Talk to them regularly, huh ?? Funny, it takes precision machining, skill sets, expensive metal, composites, and access to expensive parts...

Of course, when you cantgetitup, but canmakeitup, you spew a lot of nonsense.

Poor senile guy, you believe your 483 year old, don't you ? LMAOROTFU~!

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 14, 2013
 
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe too expensive for the common folks but the meth, coke and heroin, and human traffickers as well as the gun runners of the world would gladly pass up a new gold and platinum "grill" for a machine that can manufacture any untraceable gun they want.
what happened to the troll. she used to be nice to talk to at times. but now, she sounds like a bitter old female. I was willing to defend her. since I do like in many cases to see the other's side of things.
.
wonder if she propositioned the wis troll and got rudely turned down?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Koch Brothers Net Worth Tops $100 Billion as TV... 51 min goose 6
For a good, cheaper cigar, head to Wisconsin; M... 8 hr Brown fingers and teeth 60
Minneapolis Public Schools aims for new level o... 9 hr redeemer 1
The 1% Should Pay Their Fair Share in Taxes 10 hr redeemer 12
Will Michelle DUMP Barak 10 hr Judy 19
CBO Estimates U.S. Deficit Will Shrink More Tha... 10 hr redeemer 3
Obamacare Sign-Ups Hit 8 Million in Remarkable ... 10 hr redeemer 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••